1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Got a Douk Douk today.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sitdwnandhngon, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

Actually, I got two from Laci Szabo, super fast shipping.

Anyway after reading about these things I had to get one, just for the unique factor, and I was poking around for a carbon steel blade knife.

These things are really cool and take a scary edge. It took me less than 5 minutes to work it to razor sharp, I am going to take it hunting with me and see how it holds through gutting, skinning and quartering a deer. I ordered the large version, which I think is actually the medium, about 8" opened, fits my hand really nice though.

So far, I like the simplicity of it. Just a spring, a blade, a handle and some pins.

I'm glad I ordered two because now I have a neat Chistmas gift to give as well.

2. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Are they still in production?

3. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

Wait, you got knives from Laci Szabo and you didn't get a custom?

4. sitdwnandhngon

The bag it was in was dated 2007. I know that Garret Wade stocks them too, but they cost more.

5. sitdwnandhngon

Nope, I actually just happened across his site while I was looking for another store that stocked the Douk Douk's, and he had the best prices.

6. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

They are great knives. I have an extra large model and the spear point. I wish they were easier to find, but not many places sell them over here in the U.S.A.

7. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

If someone really wants some douk douks from France, I may be open to trades with items of similar values that are easily available in US but not in France (note that I am not a professionnal seller, nor want to make money, it is just friendly trade). I don't own any douks, so items would be new knives bought for you. FYI here are some prices for douks in a store near my job in Paris :

Douk douk mini : 12 euros
    Douk douk standard : 14 euros

Other models available here : http://couteaux-courty.com/cgi-bin/wv2k/panier.cgi?langue=fr&action=view_category&database=base&category=2

8. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Thanks, sbillard, that's a very nice offer.

9. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

There are some interesting knives on that page, can you explain the "M.C.COGNET - LE TRUFFIER". Additionally, what would you be looking for in US products.

10. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Appears to be truffle / mushroom knife, I guess the pommel of the knife is used in cleaning the picked truffle / mushroom.

Opinel's mushroom knife has a brush on the pommel.

11. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Those are some nice French blades available on that site. I especially like http://couteaux-courty.com/cgi-bin/wv2k/panier.cgi?langue=fr&database=base&action=view_product&productID=1408&category=119

It seems like every region in France has their own wine, cheese, cattle, dog and knife. It must make it easy to name your sporting teams. ;D

12. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

I have a used Douk Douk from a friend of mine and I hang it with a carabiner.

If I could get a Shilin knife from Taiwan....
    My friend went there and due to limited time at the market, she couldn't locate the shop.

My wishlist also includes an Okapi, a CS Kudu is OK but lacks the magic.

13. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Cognet is the company who invented and makes the Douk Douk since 1929 (but the company itself is way older). The "Truffier" model is made to cut truffles. The pointy extremity is said to be used to push in outgrowths.

As for trades, that could be countycomm items for examples, or typically US knives such as sodbusters (the US ones, not germans ;) ) If ones lives in Japan I also could be interested by some local blades BTW.

Well the are some old genuine regional knives but there are also many "neo-regional" knives, which were invented only some years ago for collectors :)

14. soulpatch

soulpatch Loaded Pockets

I have two of these, a small and medium. They are great inexpensive knives and the large is a 5" blade that is harder to come by. You can get these from Garret Wade, they are a woodworking supply place with good prices on Douk Douks.