1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GORUCK

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by kelo11, Jul 16, 2016.

1. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

So far with me is the GR1 small wolf grey for office daily and the Bullet 15 on weekends! My sights are on the Echo next, waiting for the next big sale....

2. Andrés Pétur

Andrés Pétur Loaded Pockets

I love my GR1
    I have been looking for some cool pouches for it. Any ideas?

3. Tigwldr

Tigwldr Empty Pockets

So I got my gr1, I finally had time to load it and wear it. I am extremely thick shoulders and the pack sits very high on me. I'm not so sure I'm going to like it. I'm going to wear it a few more times but it's not looking promising.

4. Evieniltega

Evieniltega Empty Pockets

My GR2 today. Works great!

[​IMG]

camporama and Rainy like this.
  5. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Is it a 21L or a 26? I have a 17" neck and found the straps on the 21L did not work for me at all, way too close together where they attach at the top of the ruck.

I never had a 26L but had a 34L which in terms of strap geometry is the same I think and it was much better. They will always sit high on the back though, that is the design.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have to let it break in. It softens over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Evieniltega likes this.
  8. Tigwldr

Tigwldr Empty Pockets

I have a 19in neck, I do have the 26L. The space between the straps seem fine it's just the length of them going around my arms seems short.

9. Sprocket2107

Sprocket2107 Loaded Pockets

After an absurd amount of research and a year or so of back and forth, not being able to make up my mind, I finally pulled the trigger on a black GR1 26L. I had narrowed my choices down to the Synapse 25, the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault, and Gorucks GR1 26L and the GR2 34L. I'm super excited about this considering this is my first higher end pack.

Southpaw likes this.
  10. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

Interested to see your review after some time.

11. Sprocket2107

I'm coming from a North Face Recon that I used for work and an EC-BC Lance Daypack for the weekends and short trips. The Recon is around 8-9 years old. I wanted something with more versatility so I went with the GR1. That allows me to add or remove things such as the field pockets and molle attachments for water bottles. I've also heard great things about the laptop compartment.

NeWt likes this.
  12. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

Yeah, right now I'm using a Tumi Luke Rolltop. I like the bag alot, aesthetically it's extremely pleasing but it lacks a bit in other areas. It's great for a weekend trip.... but I find it heavy and not much organization for EDC.

13. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

I share in your story. I too just transitioned from a North Face Recon that I had used for 8-9 years into the GR1 26L. I loved that North Face, but a few things always bothered me about it. The first issue was all of the pockets and storage. So much of it was designed by someone who doesn't carry stuff like I do. I didn't like being roped into putting my gear in places some other person designed. The GR1 is pretty much completely open for me to store gear how I want to store gear.

The other issue was that it was a complete slouch. It was formless, weak-kneed, limp-wristed, and wouldn't stand up on its own under any circumstances. Placing items into one of the many zippered compartments, it was a crap-shoot whether or not I would ever see them again. I would frequently find items I thought I had long since lost buried at the bottom of one of these spaces.

Not so with the GR1. Everything is right where I put it, and it stays there. And, you gotta love the one large compartment that opens completely with its clamshell design. Nothing gets lost.

All of that being said, the bag isn't perfect; I found it terribly uncomfortable when on. I realize 1000D needs some serious breaking in, but this wasn't my problem. My problem was with the frame sheet. I fabricated my own thicker frame sheet from 1/8th inch Kydex but found this exasperated the problem. It really felt like you had a board strapped to your back. I finally found a way to get the bag as comfortable as the North Face, however. I removed the frame sheet and cut it down to the size of my laptop and put it back in. Now the bag conforms to the shape of my back, and my laptop is protected. I don't really understand the need for the frame sheet at all as far as protection goes, no backpack I've ever had has one of these, and I've never had a laptop damaged.

The other issue stems from the advantage of an open concept bag. You're going to have to buy additional pouches and pockets to organize your gear. I ended up buying an Echo Padded Pocket for the top webbing and a Maxpedition pouch for first aid items. I'll probably also end up buying some storage cubes for packing clothes and other items for when I go on trips.

14. Sprocket2107

That was a big win for me regarding the GR1. The ability to add pockets and organization as I see fit. If I want to pack it for travel I'll use some packing cubes. If I want a minimal carry I'll use a molle pouch. If I want to make it a mobile workstation I can load it up with pouches galore for all my miscellaneous items. I'm considering getting either the GR1 or 2 field pouch to throw up on the top row of molle in the bag. With pretty much all bags I've ever run into they layout the organization compartments how they want and your stuck with it. The customization drew me in. Along with the low-key look of the pack itself. It's very discreet. The scars warranty also helps too haha.

15. Sprocket2107

I forgot to mention, he only downside for me was lack of water bottle pouch. But that is an easy remedy. I just ordered an MSM bottle corset.

16. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

I thought about the GR1 or 2 field pouch, but their use blocks the document pocket. I went with the Echo size so that I could still easily get items in and out of that pocket.

17. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

I thought about this as well (after the fact). However, I don't want to attach anything to the outside of the bag. When I've done this in the past with other bags these items always caught on stuff or where just a pain in the arse. I'm probably going to purchase a Hydro-Flask bottle that doesn't leak or sweat and store it in the bag.

18. Sprocket2107

haha I was literally in the middle of looking at a new hydro flask and Klean Kanteen when you replied. Coming from the Recon, I'm not that concerned with the water bottle pouch catching on anything. My issue with the Recon was with the waist belt and he excess straps hitting :censored: near everything.

19. Sprocket2107

So when I got home from work today I had an arrowhead box waiting for me at my doorstep. First impressions are very good. I've seen and read reviews about this pack and in every single one they praised the build quality. That was what I was most interested in seeing first hand. And I gotta say, this pack feels fantastic. The zippers are a little finicky but hopefully it will get easier over time. I kind of have to flip the cover over the zipper up and then hold around the zipper at the top of the bag to be able to zip it around with my other hand (if any of that made sense). The bag is stiff but that was expected due to the material. I know it will break in over time. I've got it loaded up with a few things for work tomorrow so we will see how that works out. So far I'm pretty excited and can't wait to put it through its paces.

20. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

Goruck sells a zipper lube for applying after one of their events. Its supposed to help clean some of the sand off after cleaning. I forget the name but I found it on ebay for cheap with free shipping. Maybe an option if you cant wait for your zippers to loosen up.