1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GoRuck moves offshore

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Miles717, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Miles717

Miles717 Loaded Pockets

I read with some interest, the report that GoRuck is moving the majority of manufacturing for their bags to Vietnam. According to the report, this will allow them to better scale manufacturing and drop the price on a basic GR1 by $100. Custom orders and small runs will still be handled in the US. This move is in response to increasing costs in the US and the need to scale up manufacturing to meet demand, which the US makers aren't able to meet.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

...that's how it starts. With good intentions....

jag-engr likes this.
  3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If US makers can't meet the volume demands there's not much choice without increasing the price to make it less popular. There's no reason to think that quality will suffer because of this in the short run, Vietnamese/Chinese/Taiwanese/whatever factories has proven to be on par or surpass US and European products if the correct manufacturer is chosen and proper oversight is used. As a good example the Taichung Spydercos are widely thought of being of a better fit and finish than even the Golden, Colorado or Italian made knives.

The days of US/European products = good and Asia products = bad is long gone. The sheer amount of manufacturing capability in Asia is staggering and the know how to make extremely high quality products is available as long as a company is willing to pay the price. A price that, because of the lower wages and social costs, is significantly lower for a specified quality than in Europe or the US.

But in the long run this could be bad for the consumer, there's just no way of telling at the moment because it all boils down to how it's handled. As for the jobs in the domestic market that's obviously a negative for workers and the manufacturing industry. On the other hand if they raised the cost of a bag with $100 to keep manufacture in the US I highly doubt people would be very happy.

GoBliNuke and jag-engr like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well isn't the problem here though that they already raised the prices and they seem out of reach to many under the notion that this would keep the manufacturing here in the US?

So now pretty much right after suffering the backlash from that move it turns out that they will be moving production offshore anyway!

jdavidboyd and fresh eddie fresh like this.
  5. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

They raised their prices $100 per pack about a year ago and people were verbally upset about it, but according to Jason's blog post, their profits soared in the past year as a result (not only from the increase but from the surge or orders at the original prices).

Dropping the price by $100 per pack, brings them back to what they were charging for a USA made pack one year ago.

EFX and Bimmer4me like this.
  6. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. That sounds like highly sketchy business practice!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

crossada and jdavidboyd like this.
  7. Thehunt

Thehunt Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a move to cut costs and raise revenue. Simple as that, if true.

Do you guys remember the bazillion colour ways they used to make? Another business misstep I think.

I have nothing against gear made overseas, I dig 5.11, Tasmanian Tiger and so on. I´m just allergic to shady business practices...

Last edited by Thehunt, Aug 12, 2019
    #7 Thehunt, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    GoBliNuke and Bimmer4me like this.
  8. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

And I'm glad I had their top of the line bags at the original price while made in USA cause I knew this outsourcing will happen eventually. No loyalty can pay a $100 increase, it's all business at the end of the day, Jason must have realized the hefty shipping cost buyers have to swallow on top of the make-up.

zyntherius likes this.
  9. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

Customer service is going downhill at GoRuck as well. I went to buy a 40L GR2 and didn’t finish checking out. I got the email with the cute dog that says he is holding it for me The link brought me to a cart where the price was the same as when I originally added it, but when I went to check out, it said it was no longer available and suggested the exact same item (blue and Coyote GR2) for $50 more. I wrote to GoRuck and “Rummy” replied that I need to pay the higher price, when I responded and asked if they might consider giving it to me for the price in the link they emailed me, they simply sent a link to the FAQs which contained zero relevant information.

I’ve been buying GoRucks for years (I own more than a dozen because I like color variants) but this sends a very clear signal that I am no longer needed as a customer. I guess it is the end of an era.

Last edited by fresh eddie fresh, Aug 21, 2019
    #9 fresh eddie fresh, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Ixoye likes this.
  10. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Seems like this online tactic is happening everywhere and for this to happen at Goruck is pretty low. If the item is not there, you shouldn't be able to click on it but I've seen this happen in many other websites that you seem to have the item in the cart but gets screwed up in the checkout with another item suggested, goruck could be in dire straits if they allow this, call them personally and maybe they could compensate. Jason have always preached customer value, they should stick to it!

fresh eddie fresh likes this.
  11. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

As of right now, they still have 38 of the bag I selected in stock. In all honesty any resolution on GoRuck's part involves me giving them money for another bag and I am over giving them my money (they already have plenty of it anyway). My HPG Aston House BC does what a 40L GR2 does (I would use it as a carry on bag) so the GR2 was more of a "want" than a "need" since all of the rest of my GoRucks are smaller: 26L (x3) 21L (x4) 15L (x3) and 10L (x4).

12. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I wonder if someone from GoRuck is reading these posts...

13. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

They have probably a lot on their emails now piling up since the price escalation and dropping the pride of "made in USA", patriotism is or was their mantra, their bags and the events was like a trophy . Ironically, their now producing their bags from a country that hosted the worst military conflict of the US armed forces it even created a culture, majority of the new generation buying most of the bags may not even have a clue; I've asked a few young people already with the bag, they don't know about the Vietnam war!

echo victor likes this.
  14. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

I doubt it, but Jason reads the Reddit threads and responds.

15. NIB

NIB Loaded Pockets

I stopped buying Goruck after I realized they resold the returned packs as new.

I purchased a Bullet 10 a few years ago and received it with lint balls and dog hair inside and outside the pack. Sent it back and crossed Goruck off the list forever.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

16. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

That is awful. They have definitely lost me as a customer as well. I am guessing it doesn't matter much to them because they have tapped out the old demographic and have moved onto a newer one.

I found a few old stickers in a drawer and on the backing of a GoRuck one was a story that went on and on about how important it was for them to make things in America. Haha.

#16 fresh eddie fresh, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Thehunt and Ixoye like this.
  17. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I'm one who won't be buying anymore GoRuck products. The overseas manufacturing just solidified it since that goes against their whole American pride thing. It seems sleazy and hypocratic to move offshore when your entire brand and reason for high prices is American patriotism.

I have a Bullet 10L thanks to much searching and a long thread on this site. I paid over $250 CDN for it after shipping and exchange. I honestly have to say, I'm disappointed with the pack. While the quality and design is generally good, it's not $250 good. There's not really anything there that other manufacturers don't offer for $200 or less.

The strap design also is pretty bad for such an expensive pack. My small Mountain Equipment CoOp cycling hydration pack that's 15+ years old has better shoulder straps. For what I paid for the GoRuck, I'd expect it to fit and feel like my similarly priced Badlands SuperDay hunting pack which pretty much molds itself to your body, or at least my $150 Wright & McGill flyfishing pack.

Thehunt likes this.