1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Goruck front pocket organizer??

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Solodevice, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Solodevice

Solodevice Empty Pockets

Ok fellas this is my firat time posting here, I apologize in advance if I've blatantly overlooked something important... Like don't ask questions like I'm about to ask lol

My question is this,
    I just ordered a goruck gr1 the 21L model and I was curious if anyone uses a removable pocket organizer such as the Freudian slip. Trying to figure out what all will fit in there so I can weigh my options. Thanks in advance fellas and fellaettes'.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not too much will really fit in there at all.
    The pocket is silly tight and I can't see anything like an organizer being too useful in there,a Freudian seems way to big to me.
    I keep work gloves,wire ties,etc. in mine ,things that I don't need to see to know what they are.

Oh and Welcome,you managed a spelling mistake on your first sentence!You show promise here for sure!!:oops:

demPho likes this.
  3. Solodevice

Solodevice Empty Pockets

Haha, well between fat fingers, going blind and the horrible lighting here at work I think a couple typos are acceptable. :p
    As for the front pocket in the goruck, I assumed it was going to be tight. Thank for validating my fear lol. That's part of the reason I was looking for a thin streamlined organizer that I could just slip in and out with a few things like pen, paper maybe a magazine. Another thought crossed my mind. Maybe a solid hook an loop insert. So I could attach a small Velcro pistol holster in there and maybe a spare mag. That way I could keep the pistol vertical and easier to grab. Does anything like that exist to anyone's knowledge or am I the propriety owner of that horrible idea?

4. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Maybe a small molle/Velcro panel such as Vertx's or Blue Force Gear? You could add a holster or mag pouch to it..not sure about an admin type of pocket

5. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I've got a GR1. I assume you mean the exterior slash zipper pocket? Stuff does tend to fall down. GoRuck does sell an organizer for that pocket, but it has to be removed and opened to get at things, so it defeats the purpose. What I've thought about getting is a Grid-Itz. I don't keep much in the front zipper slash pocket. A few chem lights, collapsible shopping bag as well as a zippo lighter. Another option is the Freudian Slip as you said. Which probably is the better alternative.

Problem is that pocket? Isn't very deep. At least not on my model which is a few years old. They might have changed it. The depth is only above 6" so it limits you a lot.

6. Dog Off Leash

Dog Off Leash Loaded Pockets

It's just a small stash pocket. Most of the assault packs from the 90's (Eagle, London Bridge, Blackhawk, etc) all have them, so it's become a staple of the pack's overall design.

As for what you can put in there, it's up to you, but mostly it's there for easy storage of smaller items. Think keys, notebook/pen, a phone, a bag with some change, etc. As others have said, it's not very deep or roomy.

7. Solodevice

Solodevice Empty Pockets

For some reason I was under the impression that the front pocket ran down the length of the bag.
    It's only actually 6" deep? I'm really new to carrying a pack guys I won't lie. I've always used back of the seat organizers in my truck. Which was basically my mobile command center lol.
    But since a pleasant lady in a Prius tboned me and rolled me down an embankment... I've since purchased a jeep and I've got reservations about leaving anything inside it (soft top) so I decided on the goruck as my edc bag.
    Anyway, sorry about the life story there. Point is, I have very little hands on experience with packs, most of what I've learned has been from here.

Cervantes likes this.
  8. CanvasNBrass

Yeah, it doesn't at least in my model run down the entire length. I'll measure the exact depth dimensions right now. Okay. So it's basically 9" deep from the beginning of the bottom zipper to the bottom of the pocket. I mean if you could find something that's like...5x7.5" you'd be fine. Problem is it'd be hard to pull it out without everything maybe falling out.

9. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

Typically in the front pocket of my GR1 or Bullet 15L I keep a glowstick, a SOG Flash II folding knife, and my wallet since I'm not a fan of sitting on it any longer when I'm in the car. When I was on the road more, I use to keep some small snacks in there, like cliff bars. In the inside top pocket I keep a Field Notes journal, pens, flash drive and car/house keys.

10. cbthedookie

cbthedookie Loaded Pockets

I find the front pocket on my gr1 that I use for kicking around to be virtually worthless. I have a gr0 for work travel, and I put my expense receipts in there. Anything more than paper creates a storage wart.

Fwiw, if you need usable accessible storage on front, be careful with deep pouches, as they will sit away from the pack and can make unwieldy when not wearing (such as sitting on top of a roller carry on). I have used an msm admin pouch, but switched to a TAD admin pocket which is really thin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I loaded their tool pouch (organizer) with a multitool, folder, flashlight, some repair stuff, etc. and stashed it in the front pocket and found it easy to access. I agree though, that a flat pull out organizer panel might be a little easier to get small things out quickly. Access will of course be dependent on how tightly the main body of the pack is stuffed, and how much you have in the flat mesh pockets inside. Most of the time I just take it for what it is, and use it for stuff like hats, gloves etc. I can also put a light Goretex shell in there and get to it quick if it starts pouring.

The pocket on mine goes the full length of the front panel, i.e. from the zipper down.

12. Captain Adobo

Captain Adobo Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forums! I have 3 Gorucks and generally use the slash pocket as a dump pouch-spare hanky, pen, breath mints, moleskine cahier, etc. I keep a Maxpedtion Mini Pocket Organizer in the hydration section of the packs. I just use a Nite Ize caribiner and let it hang from the loop where the bladder would hang. It's easily accessible and I don't leave it laying around and forget it.

I did at one time have a slim admin pouch attached to the outer molle but that I like the slim look better so went with the hanging organizer.

13. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I have TAD op1 pouches on the front of 2 of my gorucks. I use main front pocket for gloves, OP1 for cables and stationary for work bag, whistles, compass, chem lights on running bullet bag.

14. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

spec ops brands makes a cargo pocket organizer that fits very well
    another poster had it in some photos of his - and I asked if if fit.

Its sort of a flat organizer with an internal pocket a key tether
    I have the Goruck WIre Dop as well- grabbed on on sale- still trying to see if I like it.

15. Captain Adobo

Captain Adobo Loaded Pockets

So I was re-reading this post and I guess they have changed the depth of the slash pocket. I have a GR1 21L and the pocket goes all the way to the bottom. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with a slim admin pouch attached

[​IMG]

16. CanvasNBrass

Interesting. I had my GR1 replaced in.....I guess I want to say early 2013. So they must've changed in subsequent models the front pocket to be deeper. On mine the bottom stops at the second row of webbing.

17. andyang

andyang Loaded Pockets

hie there...possible to show some photos of how to use Nite Ize caribiner to let the organizer hang on the hydration section of the goruck pack?

thx.. andy

18. Benbrooks

Benbrooks Loaded Pockets

Yeah, they changed the depth of that pocket sometime around 2014, making it deeper.

I keep an Admin Panel 1 from Triple Aught Design on the inner mesh pocket — holds a ton of :censored:. I just checked on my 21L GR1 and it fits just fine in the front slash pocket. Hope that helps.

19. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Ive used several sizes of the Cocoon Grid-It in most of the various pockets in my GR2. They come in all kinds of sizes.

20. andyang

andyang Loaded Pockets

what about goruck bullet 10, which cocoon grid-it can fit inside bullet 10?? and will it move / swing left and right while backpacking??

hope to gain more info before proceed with cocoon. :)