1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GoRuck Bullet 10L vs TAD Litespeed

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TacticoolMike, Dec 11, 2016.

?

Which pack would you choose?

1. GoRuck Bullet 10L

50.0%
  2. TAD Litespeed

50.0%
  1. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

I already have a :censored: GR1 26L in Ranger Green. I'm looking at a possible smaller bag and these two seem to fit the bill. I guess these two are fairly comparable in size and overall dimensions. Looking for low profile EDC for basic items around town, light hikes, etc. Thoughts?

2. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

The litespeed is like 22l I think, so it's more the size of a 21l gr0, much larger than a bullet?

Pete3 likes this.
  3. TacticoolMike

I think the overall size dimension are roughly equivalent. I know the Litespeed is around 1300 cu and the bullet is maybe 700-800ish?

4. TacticoolMike

I know the Litespeed is larger volume wise but I think they take up roughly the same amount of real estate on your back.

5. TacticoolMike

Oops.....didn't mean to make vote results public. Can't seem to delete the thread or change it......

DScott likes this.
  6. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Well....10L for $125 or 22L for $245. I guess it depends on how much space you actually want. Due to the carrying capacity difference, I personally wouldn't consider them compatible.

Vanquest has the IBEX 20 listed in their Fire Sale section for $99 for 20L. Dimensions are a little bigger then the TAD. No returns thou. I've been keeping an eye on the IBEX 30 myself.

Sorry not much help.

7. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Wait for the 15L Bullet to come out. I got rid of all my TAD stuff because it was a little too Hollywood tacticool for me. Get a Kifaru Urban Zippy. When it's not full loaded, it compresses down pretty good.

8. TacticoolMike

I emailed goruck recently about the 15L and the response I received was that they did not plan to release any 15L for a long long time.

9. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

That's not cool. Thanks for that info, saves me the trouble of asking. ;)

10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

After owning these, I'd say;

Litespeed - nice size that I found carried better than my old EDC, extremely well built, and a nice suspension, but WAY to many yards of webbing on the pack for my tastes. Just over-engineered, and as a result a fair amount of unnecessary weight and too many buckles to screw with. Also looks considerably more tactical.

Bullet 15 - the older style shoulder straps were too close together and pinched my neck if I wore it up high. Nice size, but in some ways too small to be large and too large to be small. I'm also not a huge fan of a hydration compartment in a pack this size - put a full bladder in there and it bulges forwards and backwards, making the pack feel "round" against your back, just like my old Camelback Capo pack I used for mountain biking. When you're not using the compartment, it's unecessary weight and one more zipper to break.

Bullet 10 (current version) - I bought this thinking I'd use it for a bike alone given the size, and as a travel pack to shove into my GR2, but have found myself carrying it often. Turns out it's kind of a Tardis pack, being "bigger on the inside". The cleaner aspect of the pack appeals to my mountaineering background, does away with unecessary weight, and makes the pack less catchy in brush. The new shoulder strap design feels more proportional to the size of the pack, and did away with the neck pinch. Hanging an insulated bladder in the main compartment puts the volume in the pack so to speak, and the back remains flat. Never thought I'd do this, but I bought a 20lb ruck plate to add a little exercise to walking my (rapidly growing) lab puppy and it carries the weight pretty well, markedly better than a 19L Arcteryx pack I recently tried out that seemed overwhelmed with a U lock. Haven't tried it for travel yet, but should be doing that next month. In short, it's my favorite of the three - an extremely well built, not over-engineered pack that hits the sweet spot of size, features,versatility, and build quality.

11. TacticoolMike

Awesome, looks like the Bullet is getting the nod so far. Waiting for them to release them in wolf grey or ranger green (supposed to be anytime from what GoRuck told me). Still.......TAD is running the 12 days of Xmas and if they offer a decent discount on the Litespeed in Foliage.......arggggh....

12. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

:censored:, really like both of those colors, really didn't need to hear those were coming.

13. yangofcalifornia

yangofcalifornia Loaded Pockets

I have not seen the TAD so I cannot comment on that. On the flipside to this post, I disagree completely with it. The original version one design of the Bullet 10L is, in my opinion, a much better bag. I prefer the separated compartments in both the capacity of having the water in its own unit AS WELL as function as a travel day pack (his+her separated compartments or having separated placements in general.) The original can be rolled up or lay completely flat (with less than ,5 inches (1cm) in depth) which I lay on top of my stuff when I travel inside the GR1 26L.

The updated one is utter rubbish. The bottom cannot collapse and just gets in the way completely, is NOT packable inside a bigger pack without taking up valuable real estate. Also, the one compartment is not the greatest design function, unless you enjoy having your valuables near a big bag of water. No thanks, I rather the contents of my bag not get wet. The 1000d also makes what should be a lightweight, malleable day pack or hydration pack too heavy.

The reality is: the Version Two Bullet 10L was designed COMPLETELY to align with their Ruck plates. That is main function to the new design. If that is your goal, then yes, perfect. Otherwise, no, it is not optimal for a low profile edc pack. GORUCK's motto is less is more, more is lazy. However, upon these changes it should read less is more, more is lazy, lesser is lazier. Version two Bullet 10L made cringe worthy changes. The shoulder straps is the only change that makes sense.

14. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Simple and overbuilt is exactly what appeals to me about the pack.

15. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I have both the current version 10L Bullet and both versions of the Litespeed and they are definitely in different size categories. The Bullet is good for a minimal amount of stuff (water bottle, hoodie, keys, etc.) but the Litespeed will lug quite a bit more.

I voted for Litespeed between the two listed, but to be honest if you are a Goruck kinda guy, take a look at the BOGear Bullpup as an option. It is roughly the same size and the Litespeed, but very straight forward in design. I have three of them and love them dearly.

16. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I have 2 litespeeds and 2 bullets (old and new). They are 2 completely different packs. I use my bullets as general running bags and going to the gym, they are great for that. However running to my out door sports club I use one of my litespeeds so I can switch from road trainers to cross country trainers, carry a comprehensive first aid kit, jacket, splints and lots of equipment and tape. My other litespeed is a hike/survival bag where the stuff just wouldn't fit into a bullet, plus all the pouches that are added on. A negative for the new bullet is the new front pocket goes right to the bottom making all the items jangle, which is a no no if you come from certain military backgrounds.

A bullet is fine for light hikes but wildness/long ones it the litespeed. The bullet is more low profile.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Wolf grey with black webbing now available. Gotta say, the contrasting webbing isnt doing it for me.

18. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I have had two different Litespeeds (V1 and V2), I sold them both. I have a GoRuck Bullet 10L, a Bullet 15L and a GR1 (21L). The Litespeed is a very busy bag. Lot's of straps and attachment points and I just found it to be way to busy. The GoRuck is more streamlined. Both bags are built like tanks, so durability isn't an issue. If you can get your hands on a Bullet 15L that could work for you. Splits the difference between the Litespeed and Bullet10L. My vote would be GoRuck over TAD for packs just because they are more streamlined and that is my preference.

19. TacticoolMike

Appreciate everyone's input. 62Tele, thanks, saw that. I agree....not digging the black webbing. Just a side note on the litespeed.....I had my hands on a coyote brown one and the pack is nice but the webbing was terrible to my OCD. It was more of a yellowish/khaki webbing in varying lighting conditions vs the good looking coyote brown of the pack. Sadly that's a deal killer to me when the webbing almost glows in contrast to a pack covered in it. Looks like I'll be holding out for the ranger green bullet.

Side note, I got a reply from my email to arcteryx leaf asking about ranger green packs (I have the Naga hoody in ranger green=:censored: color) and they said ranger green would be more prevalent in the 2017 leaf lineup overall but said they couldn't give specifics until it's released. Id be all over a ranger green khard or similar sized pack. Some companies ranger green has little green in it (like HPG) and I much prefer those with a little more green saturation (goruck, tactical tailor, etc )

20. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

I have a litespeed and a bullet 10, they are significantly different in capacity, when I need few or small items for the day, no option to store additions (like a removed jacket), and generally shorter trips, its the bullet. TAD is better for longer or all day events, if the temperature or setting might change, and generally more room. Both are 100% bags. (I have V1 of both, not the V2 on either one.)