1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

gopro

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by HybridMomentsPass, Aug 1, 2012.

1. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

The internal battery is a 3.7V 1100mAh 4.07Wh Li-ion battery.
    If you wanted to do some marathon stuff away from power, you could use a USB-battery backup like the 60Wh HyperJuice.
    60Wh / 4.07Wh * 2.5h would give you roughly 36h of usage.

Then storage would be your next concern. It can take up to 32Gb SD cards and depending on your type of recording style (video, time lapse, burst, etc.) and settings (1080p, 720p, WGA, 5MP, etc) you will get different amount of usage.
    With mine, I can take up to 5,000 pictures at 11MP with the 32Gb SD card. Haven't been to the track with the car yet to try the video settings.

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

This might be hard to pull off. I would have to sell what would be a huge number for me to cover carrying costs and break even. I will have to look at the margins on these. I suspect I would have to sell between 7-9 of these to pay for the demo. Sell enough to cover the external batter and enough memory to do 24 hours of video then sell 21-27 to cover the carrying costs of keeping three in stock. At that point I would have broken even and had three in stock, I could them replace them as I sold them and would earn the first free cash flow from the margin. I am guessing on numbers at this point as I have not looked up what the margin would be to be competitive.

I would do it if doing things created enough publicity to sell enough of them still.

3. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

I can understand that it would be hard to work out the margins on this. Tough to compete with big box stores and Amazon pricing.

If you want to drive up publicity here, maybe set up a YouTube or Vimeo sticky thread for people to post up GoPro shots.

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Wonders if doing that would sell enough of them to pull this off. I am not trying to get publicity for the forum, I wish the forum was growing at about half the rate that it is. This would be a financial move.

Can some research the cheapest way to be able to do 24 hours of video with no access to electricity not including the camera. Battery and memory. It would be nice to be able to do it on one memory device so the 24 hours would be unbroken. I am guessing the video can be done on the lowest resolution setting.

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I have a Hero 2. They don't use a lot of battery. Depending on your video settings, they really don't use that much memory either.

I would suggest time-lapse photos for a 24 hour hike or a 250 mile bike ride. That would conserve both memory and power. Power could be provided by backup batteries. I have no idea how much memory a 24 hour time-lapse would take (obviously, it would depend somewhat on photo resolution) but if you carry a laptop on your adventures, you could download the pics or vids every so often.

6. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

I have a similar device from Drift Innovations, their HD170 (stealth). I prefer it over the gopro simply because it comes with a remote start/stop button :).

7. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

I have the Second HD Version. I dont use it as much as I thought I would,I bought it last year for my motorcylce trip to Sturgis. It does take great video and stills. It Don't do to well in low light. They now make an add on remote shutter button for it.

8. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've got one - I think it's a model older than whatever is current. I don't use it as much as I originally thought, either, although it's cool and very sturdy. Note that the stock model doesn't have any way to check where it is pointing - you just have to guess. The lens is VERY wide angle, so that isn't typically an issue, but takes some getting used to. They sell add-ons, and I understand they are coming out with an option to do remote control via an iPhone (android?), which would be fantastic (especially if you mounted one in some weird spot - like on a mast, pole or tree, car bumper, etc) - but I'm pretty sure you'll need the latest version to make it work. Because of their sturdy build and quick obsolescence I'd recommend checking ebay if you think you'll be happy with an older / simpler one. I can testify that the case is, in fact water tight - I did a 'polar plunge' with mine when I first got it. Jon - you may be able to talk the manufacturer into a demo model if you'll be promoting their products (I'd sure send one your way if it meant moving more cameras).

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It would be too easy to cheat on something like this. I would need to be able to show from the start to the finish to prove it was done. There would be several reasons for doing this. One would to move units, the other would be to show some things about packs. Some packs long distance with a heavy load can be done, other packs with a smaller load will kill you in 50 miles.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am so low volume they wouldn't be that interested in me. My thought was maybe I could move enough to get a little above break even.

11. HybridMomentsPass

So I bought one from my friend for 140 bucks and took it to a race, unfortunately I had it on the 1080/30 setting which caused some waves, next time i'll go 720/60, a lot of motorcycle guys say it helps with the waviness.

But the case is very robust, a guy on a Buell forum has a video of him doing about 60mph and it falling off, never stopped working even as it tumbled down the highway.

Im pleased with it, just hate how proprietary the mounting of it is
    I'll film more from my next Harley Drag race, i'll post up the videos

12. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

13. HybridMomentsPass

I havent spent much time on their site, so I didnt see that
    Thanks!
    And surprised they have it for only eight bucks, most of their stuff is a bit pricey (five adhesive mounts for 20 bucks, for example)