1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GoPro.....

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Stinson12, May 2, 2015.

1. indylead

indylead Empty Pockets

I use a Hero3+ having upgraded from a Drift HD Ghost when it got dropped and lost the ability to focus. Switched to GoPro following an unhelpful response from Drift and haevn't looked back.

I only use the camera when out on the motorbike, and think it's great. I use a helmet mount most of the time as this reduces the jelly effect from vibration that I often get from the handlebar or pannier mounts I have fitted, plus this allows me to stop and film panoramics without getting off the bike!

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

Take the file you shot and drag and drop it in YouTube and paste the link here. it would be great to see how video looks shot on a helmet and how the panoramic video looks.

3. indylead

indylead Empty Pockets

By panoramic I just meant stopping and panning the camera. The problem with the fish-eye lens is that it's okay for "moving forward" shots, but not much else. Just pan slowly. I can't remember which video really shows it, but this one shows the quality fairly well.

For comparison, this video was with the DriftHD, from the 'previous' generation.

Colours are not so good, and the quality is lower despite both being HD. (caveat: I know the Youtube post-processing can do odd things, and I did use different software for the editing/publishing which might have made a slight difference, but the raw footage from the Drift still appears less crisp)

4. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I bought the original Hero 2 when it came out. Still have it. Wouldn't mind upgrading but I'm thinking about pre-ordering one of the Lily follow-me drones instead.

For those who've owned multiple iterations of the GoPro, what do you like about the newer models. Obviously, the smaller size is nice. What else?

5. indylead

indylead Empty Pockets

I'm not sure how the 3+ compares to the 2, but the battery life of the 3 is far better than the HD Drift I had.
    The remote control is also handy, although it's battery life sucks.

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

They both look great. That is what I thought you meant by panoramic. Not photo stitching. And Hash Pipe is a great song.

7. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about getting a Hero 3+ silver for my travel to India and Taiwan, I don't really want to take my DSLR and lenses for pictures, and I like the ultra wide angle the gopro has :rolleyes:

8. indylead

indylead Empty Pockets

I've never tried to take stills from either camera...I've a separate one for that.

Judgeless: Hash Pipe? :unsure:

9. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

I would not recommend that. The GoPro primary function is an action camera that you mount to something and let it go. It does a great job of that. It can be used to take pictures but you can not see what you are shooting. There is no zoom in or zoom out. What you aim the device at is what you get. It does take very wide angle video and pictures but you will have fish eye.

Yes you can get the LCD back for the GoPro but it is really small. You can send the video feed to your cell or tablet but it is not the same as a point and shoot camera. You can also remove the fisheye but it is just another step.

I would bring the DSLR and the GoPro

MCPOWoller and Gilatabar like this.
  10. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

I just listened to it again. It is Blur - Song 2. I thought it was Hash Pipe by Weezer

They sound similar.

11. indylead

indylead Empty Pockets

LMAO I googled the name and thought you can't possibly have mixed them up and must have meant something else! :)

12. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I kind of got attracted to the gopro because of its ruggedness and simplicity but yeah, the image quality isn't that great for stills (to me) :( And it's like really small and portable, throw it in your pocket and you're done, whereas with a DSLR you have to have a bag if you don't want to attract too much attention with the strap around your neck :nah_disagree:

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Loaded Pockets

I have one question when it comes to GoPro and other tapeless HD video recording devices:

Where do you archive your footage? Do you collect hard drives? Do you burn it to DVD? One obviously can't leave it on the flash card forever.

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

Hard drives are super cheap and USB 3.0 is super fast. I keep the video on external drives. My GoPro has a 128GB card in it.

15. indylead

indylead Empty Pockets

I have 5-6 SD cards (16 or 32GB) that I use during a trip, and then upload to a NAS drive once I get back home.

ETA the question.

Last edited by indylead, May 23, 2015
  16. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Loaded Pockets

Has anyone in the computer/electronics industry ever come up with a solution that would allow unedited video footage to be quickly copied off of a camcorder (or a flash card that was just pulled from a camcorder) directly to a hard drive without using a computer? For hard disks to be a useful storage medium, such a dubbing solution would seem to be ideal for a good video workflow.

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Loaded Pockets

Another question: does anyone here know of someone who tried wearing a GoPro on their clothes? Im' wondering what kind of attachment solutions there would be if some wanted to wear a unit on one's chest or shoulder.

18. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

GoPro makes a chest mount.

19. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

Here are three items I have that let you wear the camera. Head mount, chest mount and clip mount that can connect to cloths or a back pack strap. All this stuff is dirt cheap from China on eBay.

[​IMG]

20. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Loaded Pockets

What's the quality like? Does this Chinese-made gear hold up?