1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by chavez, Jul 9, 2012.

1. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Toshiba even has a 13" Android tablet, which makes no sense to me. I don't see how you can reasonably hold onto it without your hand going numb, which means it's going to be placed lying down on a table and is inferior to a laptop.

I'm still looking for a case/sling which will allow me to "wear" the tablet, basically so it's on my body yet I can use i without removing it from a sleeve or something.

2. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Yeah, at that size, it's nearing something you'd figure for to be used in a kiosk or something.

I have seen such things for laptops used by inventory/warehouse workers. Maybe googling something along those lines would put you on track?

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I couldn't find any nexus tablet in store, so I tried other 7" ones. For people with a smartphone already I feel it's too much overlap, not really large enough to justify buying or carrying an additional device, too big to be pocket EDC but too small for laptop replacement (for basic stuff). I think I'll go with 10" one in the end.

4. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Been using the Nexus 7 as an adjunct to my work laptop. Great stuff. When I have to google something, I just have to talk to it. Sweet.

5. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Oddly, I am thinking of getting a Galaxy Note to replace my creaking Moto Cliq. It's an odd form factor and I have to lay hands on one before deciding, but after working with this 7" tablet, I think a 5" phone might actually work for me.

I am actually using the Nexus 7 as a phone for VoIP calls. I keep it right next to my work laptop and it's been working out really well.

6. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Interesting...are you using a Bluetooth headset? And what app are you using for VOIP?

7. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

At work, i normally use the N7 as a speakerphone. But I could use my BT headset.

I'm using Line2. $10/month for the unlimited domestic calls. Good voice quality. Better than my mobile phone. I use Line2 on my iPod Touch too.

8. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Already made one and took 2 incoming calls on my N7. Also posted an update on Facebook, while listening to classical music on internet radio. All on this spiffy Nexus 7. And done smoother that I ever could with my Winblows 7 netbook.

9. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

What do you guys use for tablets for? I find they are only good for searching the interent, and not much more. Anything else, its easier to pull out my laptop.

10. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Morning news and email.
    Netflix in bed.
    Reading in bed.
    <insert activity here> in bed.
    Anytime I need access to the internet really quickly.

11. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

You're not holding it up to your head like a gigantic pie plate? =)

I've used Talkatone, but its quality is much lower than cellular - I have a slow internet connection.

The tablet is useful when you're not at a desk. I've gotten into the terrible habit of reading while walking up/down stairs, taking out the garbage, etc.

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

In the morning, read the news and check my calendar and to-do list.

Listening to classical music on Internet radio now. Read and replied to some email a little while ago. IM client running in background (required for my work). Occasionally use it as my calculator. It is my work phone using VoIP.

Later, will read some articles in Instapaper and maybe an e-book in the Kindle reader.

I used to use my netbook for some of this, but the tablet format is much more convenient and takes up less desk space.

You really did not read my post, did you?

I use mine at my desk as an adjunct to my workstation. Google Now is awesome. If I have to do a quick search, instead of going to a browser, etc., I just tap the tablet and say what I want to search for. This way, I can keep my primary activity in focus through the day.

13. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I use my tablet for the same sort of thing. Get up, read the morning paper, go on the interent for a while , play a few games.

14. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

The smiley face means I was being silly....

You're referring to just voice searching. Google Now is technically the feature that pushes you notification cards without you actually have to do anything. It basically saves all your behavior and tries to guess what you do at the same time every day (like bring up the weather in the morning).

Edit: I'm wrong. Apparently Google uses it to refer to both features.

Last edited by shrap, Aug 12, 2012
  15. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I decided to visit this thread since I started it. Good to see some folks enjoying their Nexus 7. My Nexus 7 has been up and running for 628 hours now (just over 26 days) without a need to reboot. I use mine every day as a companion around the house while I work or play.

It is my alarm clock (use doubleTwist Alarm Clock) that sits on my nightstand and wakes me each morning.

I then check gmail, use Tweet Lanes to check on Twitter a few folks that I follow along with getting some random trivia for the day.

I use Flipboard to read some news as well as the Google Reader feeds that are also there all in one place.

When I have a spare moment or in the evening I will read a book with the Kindle Reader. I recently picked up 7 books from http://storybundle.com/ that I am reading and highly recommend you check out.

I listen to the free radio using Spotify or my own music up on Google Music.

I may refer to one of the million of saved password and accounts I have in the Safe In Cloud Password Manager app.

I have LoboWiki (a Wikipedia client) to search for info on most things I want to research.

I check on weather with BeWeather Pro.

I keep notes on Evernote that I also sync with my phone.

My upcoming Google Calender entries are visible on the GC widget on the homescreen and I also have a widget from Tasks by Team Tasks that sync with my Google Tasks (same setup on my phone).

I use the Google+ app to post and check out my circles plus have done a couple of hangouts using the front facing camera.

I check out forums with Tapatalk.

Interestingly enough, I don't often use the web browser that much though I am happy with Chrome at it seems pretty responsive on JB and the N7 when I do use it.

I have been so smitten with my Nexus 7 that I bought my wife one (I got her the 8GB version) which should be here tomorrow.

16. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

Mine arrives tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to it!

17. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Congrats! You're gonna love it! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

18. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I just received it about 1/2 hour ago! Yes I did have some trouble getting it out of the box.....but other than that I'm up & running. I just did the lollypop, Jolly Rancher jelly bean update.....(who comes up with these names?)
    The worst thing about receiving this now is that I have 1/2 day today so now I have to wait another hour until I can actually play with it!

19. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I haven't even picked up my 10" tablet since my Nexus 7 arrived. I use it every morning for news and email. I use it throughout the day for searching and notes. Every night I sit down and catch up on forums and do some reading. I just bought my wife one and she loves hers also.

20. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

LOL. That's probably the hardest thing about the Nexus 7.

Scuttlebutt has it that the next Android release will be codenamed "Key Lime Pie". Unconfirmed though.