1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by chavez, Jul 9, 2012.

1. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Anyone else pre-order the new Google Nexus 7 tablet? I did pick up a 10" ASUS Transformer Pad T300T when it came out in April which I like but I am more excited of this Nexus 7 mainly due to Jelly Bean and the smaller, lighter form factor.

2. Nytehawq

Nytehawq Loaded Pockets

Hello there. Long time "lurker", first time poster. I really want the Nexus 7. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time justifying owning one. I currently own the Galaxy Nexus phone and not sure if a Nexus tablet will offer me much more than what my phone does already to justify the cost. Like you I'm excited about Jelly Bean, the form factor and the cost, but mainly to have a Google tablet that will get the latest update as it becomes available and not having to deal with the manufacturers. Manufacturers have an extremely crappy track record of updating the OS's on their tablets. With all that being said, I'm going to wait until the Nexus 7 tablet has been out on the street for a little while before I make a decision. I want to see what shakes out and how the production models performs in the real world in the hands of regular users before I decide to take the plunge.

3. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

As of now google won't sell it globally, so I can't... although I still can't find a reason to get a tablet (beside my inner-geek).

IMO, 7'' (give or take) is the best screen size for a mobile-EDC-tablet, the CPU and GPU specs looks good, and since it's a google-backed device, it will outlast most other devices regarding OS upgrading over time.
    Still - If you think you're smart enough to get an android tablet, you're smart enough to upgrade the OS on your own. ;)

If you can order one, and need one, I'd say go for it!

gstojinovic likes this.
  4. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

I preordered then canceled when I read full specs. I have to have a microsd for what it will be used for :(. Other than that specs are awesome.

I'll probably end up with a tab2 7" or the new galaxy note when it hits. It'll be more of a tool though...can't stand 7" for "media consumption" that's what ive got my iPad for :lol:

gstojinovic likes this.
  5. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

Have 2 coming to my house actually. An 8 gig for my mother & I'm getting the 16 (Brother has an iPad & hates Android, sigh). I've been carrying my Kindle Keyboard everywhere in a Pelican 1055CC so I got used to carrying my electronic equipment armored up. I believe the Nexus 7 is supposed to be roughly the same size. If it is I'm purchasing 2 more cases. Even though I wouldn't trust them to be waterproof the case takes a beating without a scratch.

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Thinking about it, but no micro SD really put a kink on things. On my phone which is also 16 GB I have less than 3 left, and 15 GB or so on micro SD. This is with no movie and minimum MP3.

Going to wait for actual user reviews, and rooting procedure etc.

smithy likes this.
  7. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

I got a 16gb pre ordered already. The lack if SD card is no big deal for me. I rarely listen to music these days and everything is uploaded to Google music. I have podcast subscriptions on my galaxy nexus and when I go on vacation I load up certain movies or TV shows I wanna watch when I can't stream Netflix.

I kinda wish it had HDMI out, but I only used it once on a cruise boat not really something I can't live without.

Its all about the dev community. Unlocked bootloader on a nexus tablet, to me that is more important than a SD card slot, plus it has otg USB, the possibilities are endless with dev support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

8. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Im after a 16gb. No storage is fine. It's connected to wifi and I have heaps of storage with dropbox and box. Can't wait to get one. At that price it's a no brainer. All the people who want an iPad but not the iPad price and the perfect size for EDCing.

9. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Is MHL link standard on android or manufacturer implemented? My phone can do HDMI with the USB port.

10. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

Its manufacturer implemented. Lets see if they can figure out a work around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cyclops likes this.
  11. banu

banu Loaded Pockets

Got mine Friday. I like it but no Flash player :-(

12. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Why not download it from play store then?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

13. banu

banu Loaded Pockets

'Cos it's not there any more...not supported.

14. algernonramone

algernonramone Loaded Pockets

The Nexus 7 looks like a heck of a device, and I really like the 7" form factor. (I have 2 10" tablets, and I'd really prefer that one of them were smaller.) But, as already mentioned, the lack of upgradeable storage is a dealbreaker. If you have 32GB or more, you can probably get by without extra storage, but 16 is just too small to make that work. I say, wait for the second version.

15. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

If Google follows the trend of their other Nexus devices, their tablet is never going to have expandable storage.

16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Google wants us to store everything in the cloud and/or stream content.

17. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

NO flash player????

Even without the expandable storage and the lack of (current) flash playback, I still want one. I refuse to pay over £300 for a tablet, especially an Apple.

18. DUSTBOWL

DUSTBOWL Loaded Pockets

19. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

20. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

If you use android 4.0 it is supported but android 4.1 will not be. although there are always ways around stuff like this. Iphone has had a history of no support for flash. Android is less proprietary because of Google's platform. So flash support was a big draw to its userbase. This is going to mess things up. Good thing i use android 3.6. Though it was apples decision to not use flash. This is not googles decision.

tal-c likes this.