1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Google Chromecast - Just got mine... Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by mlehto, Apr 9, 2014.

1. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Just got it setup, and was blown away at how user friendly the process was.

Literally 2 minutes and I had my phone, and Chromebook playing videos without issue.

This is all brought about in an effort to get rid of my cable, and use internet exclusively and I have this and my PS3 to accomplish the task now.

Streaming from both my phone, and HP Chromebook 14 is seemless at 720p. Very impressive and the ease of use is quite astonishing.

Chose this over the PS3 just because I can simply take the dongle back and forth between rooms while I have the PS3 in the living room. Of course it can come anywhere, like work or the cottage, and work just the same.

Gotta say, between the Chromebook, Chromecast, and Motorola Moto G, I am extremely impressed with what Google is putting out, especially for the money. Chromebook was $350, Moto G was $150, and the Chromecast was $40! That's less money than most high end smartphones alone, and I am more than happy! And I'm no newb that is easy to impress. I came from being a Galaxy S3 & S4 user, and my former laptop was a Macbook, so...

Anyways, if you have any questions feel free to ask, and post your experienece if you already have one...

2. CatfishTX

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

I use mine everywhere. I watch Netflix in hotels, shre presentations at work. Great piece of equipment. I named mine "steve".

3. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

I have 3 at the house now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. eng1nerd

eng1nerd Loaded Pockets

I got one for christmas from my brother-in-law and have only had it hooked up to the TV in our second family room. It has been perfect for me to revisit MacGyver on netflix without upsetting my wife!

xbanker likes this.
  5. DogsRule

DogsRule Loaded Pockets

I have one and love it. I've mostly used it in the bedroom to cast You Tube replays of sporting events and instructional videos like Photoshop and Lightroom techniques. It's more fun to watch a long video on the bed rather than sitting in a chair in front of a computer screen.

6. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've got a few - great price for such a useful device. Admittedly I use AppleTV more.

7. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

We've got one and we love it. I control it from my Nexus 7 or we use our desktop Mac. Our laptops are ancient, but we're thinking about getting a Chromebook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I picked one up in a shop, but the box gave me no idea of what it did so I put it down again. I understand it connects your phone and TV but how exactly does it work?

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Your (smart)phone, tablet or PC

ATB,
    Sam

10. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

If you do, make sure it is the HP Chromebook 14! Only cheap Chromebook powerful enough to run the Chromecast smoothly.

11. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

So explain this to me a little bit because at the 5:15 mark in the video he's sort of describing the same issue. What's the difference? I'm missing something obvious I'm sure.

12. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

I don't have the issues he is describing thats for sure, but from what I gather, streaming any high quality video's is a seriously intense operation for a computer, and the cheaper Chromebooks, with slower processors, and less than 4gb of ram just can't keep up.

So far I only notice some lag and choppiness when I try to download something while streaming.

Other than that it is pretty good.

Hope this helps...

13. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

OK, time for my Chromecast-related education please.

I have three relatively current Blu-Ray DVD players (<1-yr-old) ... one for each HD flat-screen TV. All three DVD players capable out of the box for Hulu Plus, Netflix, YouTube, Vudu and maybe one or two other lesser-known services. All can interface with home wireless router. My web service is Cox high-speed cable. TV service = DirecTV satellite. Other electronics: two decent laptops processor-wise; both 6GB RAM. Two iPad Airs. A little-used desktop with i7 processor, 8 GB RAM.

The portability/mobility that Chromecast would provide around the house is not a needed gain (I don't think). Is there some benefit or integration that Chromecast would bring that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

14. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Honestly probably doesn't make sense for you.

Even myself, with a PS3, I was hesitant, but figured for $40 I'd give it a shot, and I can move it to the bedroom TV if I decide to cut my cable.

In the future though it appears Google is developing several different features, and extensions that might be useful.

Realistically right now it is just the price and portability that is so attractive.

able_man and xbanker like this.
  15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Probably the only other aspect is the ability to cast streams between devices. However, if you don't tend to move around much while watching things, that's probably a wash.

ATB,
    Sam

xbanker likes this.
  16. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'm OK at the moment. Life would be even better if wife would consent to cutting the cord with DirecTV.

17. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

It's that he is watching it on his laptop while casting ... as in actively streaming and watching online while also casting at the same time? Because presumably at the start of the video when he's using his phone it is not playing the video (he takes the battery out).

18. Kasjan_the_Unready

Kasjan_the_Unready Loaded Pockets

Neat little device, my wife I use it when obsessively researching food/travel/places to move for sharing youtube and web pages to the TV from our respective computers. I also use it for pushing Plex videos from phones/tablets. Only thing I don't like is the lack of a standalone remote.

Scenario: Phone rings- wife: press pause! / me: Grab phone, swipe, punch in code, open plex app, reconnect to chromecast, tap pause= 10+ taps.

Besides that though, it's a great buy, just in a different category than the AppleTV/Roku (that category being: things that come with remotes).

19. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

excellent for travel...it's in my "nerd go bag" lol

20. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I generally use a Roku 3, but I've been considering adding a Chromecast to the mix for the Google Play Movies I've bought. I mostly use GPM on my S5 to occupy my 3 y.o. granddaughter at family functions. She gets a little wound up occasionally, but when she hears the opening music to Frozen she is instantly oblivious to everything else.