1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome Book

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Black Helmet, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

The Chromebook has even caught my 18 year old son's eye. He was dead set against my purchase and thought I was wasting my money. He was lobbying for a full featured laptop or desktop. Low and behold, I come home from work yesterday and he is sprawled out on the couch with my Chromebook. It was like catching the cat with the canary. He finally admitted that it wasn't bad at all. It did almost everything he needed and he admitted it definitely was worth the money. Score one for Dad and the Chromebook!

powerring likes this.
  2. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

I recently went out and tracked down a i5 chromebox and I use it as a desktop replacement. I like it a lot and really haven't found anything that it lacks for my computing needs. Before I was running an early dual core box I picked up at a state surplus store with xubuntu. I found myself always in a chrome window and chrome os development really interests me.

Chromebox, and a Note 2 phablet running cm10.1 really rounds out my needs. I had a Nexus 7 and thought it was a great device I just wasn't carrying it so ended up selling it to buy the chromebox.

I even have my TV set up as a second monitor and stream Netflix and YouTube on it.

powerring likes this.
  3. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

So I let my friend play with my Chromebook a little, now he's buying one :) (In addition to his HP laptop).

4. Ness

Ness Loaded Pockets

I've been really looking at these machines, as they look like they would really work for what I need, but I can't seem to get a real answer on this:

1) How easy is to back up pictures from a camera (SD/CF card) to an external HD (or internal if you have the Acer C7)?

2) Is there a way to do that that's just select the files, and drag them to the HD as in a regular computer? I don't wanna edit them or even get the RAW files recognized, just a file dump to free up space on SD/CF cards and/or back up til I get home.

3) Can it be done while I'm not connected to the internet?

Anyone can shed some light into that? :)

5. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Chromebooks have a a file manager that will allow you to copy files from SD or USB HD/flash drive to local storage (no Internet needed) or your Google Drive. :)

6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'm seriously considering opening a BST thread to raise funds for a chromebook. I really want something in the 11" form factor for portability, and it's hard to go wrong at the $250 price point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ness likes this.
  7. Ness

Ness Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Can I select hundreds of files at the same time? I've read someplace that you can only select 5 at a time, which would be a :censored:.

8. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I don't know that I've copied hundreds but you can certainly do more than five at a time.

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried the new web based MS Office 365 on one. Again, you need an Internet connection to use it, but I think it fully integrates the Skydrive in the app.

10. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I don't think it's officially supported by Microsoft. I use Google Docs all the time though.

I rarely have to break out Excel these days but when you need it, you need it.

11. Ness

Ness Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks!

12. HarryN

HarryN Loaded Pockets

The screen resolution on the google version is much better than the other brands, but of course it is in the price range of a full fledged laptop.

If you care at all about your privacy, then most people will not use an android based device or sync their schedule and life around google and gmail. If you don't care about privacy at all, then a chromebook is probably fine for general use.

For me, the most expensive programs I use are the Office Suites (so I switched to Libre Office - free), Dragon Speech recognition, and MS Project (which I am looking for ways around).

The only way I would buy a chromebook is if I could dump the "internet required aspect" and load Linux Debian Mint Cinnamon.

13. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

Just got a brand new arm chromebook for $160, I am all invested in the computing appliance ideology. As far as privacy goes, there is no such thing in 2013 just comes to grip with it, and use the resources available to us.

14. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

My wife and I picked up one of the Samsung chrome books to replace her dying notebook. So far we're both pretty impressed with it. Obviously, it is tied to the Internet for all its functionality, but for a small, lightweight notebook for noodling around online t the house, it's perfect.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

15. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

For what the Chrome Book is good for, I'd rather have a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard.

16. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

At the risk of geeking out too much - you can run Linux on a Chromebook (at least the Pixel, some of the others too I think) and run actual programs for anything you need. You can either dual boot or run an app called Crouton to run both together and switch back and forth as needed. I find Windows 8 to be a real POS despite having used Windows since 3.11, and I'm not a big fan of Apple (I stopped using Apple computers about the time Woz left). Chromebook/Linux is my plane for a new lap top this summer.