1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome Book

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Black Helmet, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Black Helmet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Black Helmet Loaded Pockets

Any body have one? Good, bad? Hope I did not miss a thread about this. Thanks!

2. kevinwho

kevinwho Loaded Pockets

I have one for the past 2 months , they're great for browsing the net and have a decent battery life . I travel a bit for work so I bought the chromebook for that.
    Negatives for me are : cloud printing only , screen and keyboard quality are definitely budget spec,

I find it great for travelling due to its size and battery life but I have access to a windows pc at home and at my destination . They will not (for me at least) replace a regular laptop/pc but are great as a secondary one.

I hope this is of some help to you .
    Kevin

Black Helmet likes this.
  3. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

I'm on my Chromebook right now:D I really like it, it's extremely light, has good battery life, doesn't take 10 minutes to boot up, and is pretty darn easy to use.

Black Helmet likes this.
  4. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I have two: the original CR-48 beta and the new Samsung with the Exynos processor. I love them: great battery life, stable, auto updates, and cheap!

Black Helmet likes this.
  5. Black Helmet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Would mainly be for "couch computing". We are thinking of either doing away with the true PC, and just having a printer and some speakers along with a real keyboard at a desk to plug a laptop into when needed. Between kindles, phones, and possibly one of these chromes I think that would cover all our incidental internet usage (email, forums, facebook etc.)

Yeah?

6. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I personally would have a hard time making my Chromebook my only computer. Printing, for example, is not its strongest suit. 99% of the time it does everything you would need for that "couch computing" role though.

We have... um... a few devices around the house: iPads, Kindle Fires (5!), a Nexus 7, laptop, PCs, Macs, iPhones, etc. I use the Samsung Chromebook more than anything.

Black Helmet likes this.
  7. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

I just bought the $199 Acer C7 in the middle of January and I'm very satisfied with it. I use it when traveling for work or when I have to compete for some time with the home PC. The battery life on this model isn't as good as the Samsung model but it's not that big a deal for the way I use it. It has some limitations but it meet my needs. I don't think it will ever replace my home PC but it would come pretty close. There are quite a few apps available but I haven't taken advantage of many of them yet. It is certainly worthy of a second look for your use.

powerring likes this.
  8. Black Helmet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sounds good! I always have my laptop plugged in, I rarely need to use it anywhere that I cant find a plug. So battery life, not my biggest concern. How about video playback?

9. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

While connected to the internet I haven't had any issues with playing videos. Offline has limited support video file types but that hasn't been a big issue for me so far. I've just converted a couple files on my home PC that I really wanted to be able to have on the road and transferred them to a USB drive. I've had no issues with .mp4 files playing offline. I've been able to connect my USB thumbdrives, USB mouse and USB portable hard drive without any difficulties. I liked the Acer model because I could still make an Ethernet connection if needed and it had three USB ports. I haven't tried the SD memory card slot or connecting to a larger monitor yet but I will try that when time permits.

Here is a link to supported files types and external devices from Google.

I think some people that have provided poor reviews on different sites didn't research the devices capabilities and limitations before their purchase. I'm very satisfied because it does what it was intended to do and didn't break the bank.

Last edited by cataylor, Feb 9, 2013
  10. thebake

thebake Loaded Pockets

Worthless device unless you're just browsing the internet.

phatch and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Just got a Acer C7 Chromebook to add to the stable of electronic gadgetry I have. This will be my third Chromebook in addition to the original Google CR-48 beta device and the Samsung Exynos-based unit. Newegg was selling them for $179.99 with free shipping, which is ridiculously cheap.

My first impression is that it is responsive, nicer built and better looking than I expected for the price, but not quite as thin or quiet as the Samsung. I might replace the drive with an SSD.

I disagree that a Chromebook is only good for browsing the Internet. You can do real work with these devices, even offline, using Google Docs, etc. I rarely use any productivity apps that are unconnected from the Internet anymore. Having nearly ubiquitous mobile access to data is a handy thing. :)

12. Snow

Snow Loaded Pockets

Use mine for 99% of my computing needs. I have moved most of my computing life to the cloud. I love being able to access my data from any device at any time as long as I have an internet connection which isn't to hard to come by these days.

powerring likes this.
  13. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

All 'apps' are web based only. Severely limits its usefulness in the real world. Not much use offline basically.

14. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Make no mistake, if you're disconnected from the Internet most of the time, a Chromebook isn't for you. I would also suggest that if you don't like Google for technological, aesthetic or philosophical reasons, a Chromebook isn't for you. If you're wedded to Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop and no substitute will do, a Chromebook isn't for you.

I would argue, however, that very few general purpose computers are offline anymore as the web, e-mail, etc. have become the raison d'etre for owning them. Except for gaming, an offline iPad or Nexus 7 would not be hugely more useful since most of the apps are Internet connected.

The Chromebook is a bet on a future where connectivity to the Internet will be ubiquitous. Like the boys at Sun used to say, "the network is the computer". It wasn't true 25 years ago but it becomes more so everyday.

kd7dvd and cataylor like this.
  15. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

I agree with powerring on this one. I had my reservations before I made the purchase but after using it for a couple months I really haven't found it that restricting. While it might not be for everyone it works for me and it does what it was advertised to do.

I actually found a review that sums it up pretty well. The Chromebook Isn't Bad, Just Misunderstood

powerring likes this.
  16. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Can you use Dropbox.com and MS Word on Chromebox PCs? How restricted
    are you from using apps that you are most familiar with?

17. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

TomWelch likes this.
  18. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I write Kindle books and yes I need to write in MS Word format!!!

Thank you Cataylor!

19. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

You can always try Google docs before dropping the dough for a chromebook.

It's always interesting to hear people gripe about how CHROMEbooks are worthless without an internet connection.

I typed this on my Google nexus 7, which has completely replaced my laptop for personal use after the addition of a Bluetooth keyboard. I can even type papers, create Microsoft office documents, read and write .PDFs, and there are a few programming languages that have editors for android, too. All of that through apps without any internet access (minus the forum posting, of course). I do have a gaming PC for games, connecting to a virtual desktop on campus, and autodesk inventor. Autodesk has a surprising number of powerful apps available for mobile devices. There's even a complete version of 2d AutoCAD.

TomWelch, cataylor and powerring like this.
  20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The Nexus 7 is an interesting device. I actually carry the 32 gb version in my pack every day and it can do most everything I need a laptop to do at very low cost, space and weight. When I'm doing casual computing at home, I tend to reach for the Chromebooks, mostly because of the keyboard.