1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good quality waxed canvas/leather briefcase manufacturers

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by IThinkTooMuch, Mar 24, 2014.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a good quality, DURABLE, waxed canvas/leather portfolio (top zip, twin handle, suitable for the non-laptop user) briefcase. I know about the big 4 that are quoted here a lot, but what about others?

BIG 4
    Duluth Trading Co (Firehose Bootstrapper Briefcase)
    Filson (70256, 256, 70257)
    Duluth Pack (Freelance Portfolio)
    Frost River (Correspondent Briefcase, Single Briefcase)

OTHERS
    Barbour (Waxed Leather Briefcase)
    Orvis (Battenkill Briefcase)
    Korchmar (F3005 Bomber Brief)
    Earnest Alexander (Watson)
    ????

2. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

I can't speak to the others, but I have several Filson bags from briefcase to outfitter. Not sure if they still have it but there used to be a pic of the outfitter bag holding a VW bug engine hanging from a hoist. Pretty sure my boots/gear will never wear it out.

BDavey likes this.
  3. IThinkTooMuch

It's still on the net, but I can't hot link to it.

How much internal room is in the briefcase? The deciding factor between the 70256 and 70257 is if I can get a 3 ring binder and a small tool pouch (converted pencil bag) in there along with my regular A5 organizer and a regular pencil bag. It's really pushing the limit it on my 4" nylon briefcase.

4. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

I have the 70258. It's plenty big enough for what you said. Of course I bought it as a laptop bag, hence the padding.

5. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

I have the Frost River Simple Brief and really like it. Durable, good organization and high quality.

6. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of Jack Spade bags. I've had my Computer File for 2 years and it has a great patina to it now. Also, some of them are made with Halley Stevensons waxed cotton (same as Barbour) so you know it's good material.

7. Illumination

Illumination Loaded Pockets

I have an EA Hudson. Not the same style you reference; I'm just commenting on quality. Their bags are rely well made (in the USA of that matters to you).

The downside (for all of the above) is that canvas & leather bags weigh a ton compared to nylon alternatives. Also the manual buckles on many of them are a pain -- I often don't bother to buckle mine anymore.

You should also look at the Timbuk2 Distilled collection. Well made and some modern features (eg, TSA laptop compartment, ipad sleeve). Only available directly from them through their website.

8. jstef

jstef Empty Pockets

Try Defy Bags made in Chicago. Expensive, but their product line appears to be of high quality. I only own a key fob made by them and it's solid.

9. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

I am on my second Filson 256. The size of the bag is deceptive. It is bigger then it appears.

10. IThinkTooMuch

It's the size that I'm having trouble with. Too big, and it will look mursey or like luggage and is easily overloaded. Too small, and I will end up carrying a JIC "overflow" bag or turn my bandana into a Furoshiki cloth. I'm leaning toward the "reporter / commuter" type bags with the normal width main compartment and large side pockets as a compromise.

EDIT: Am I overthinking this? (My username does have an IRL origin).

Last edited by IThinkTooMuch, Mar 25, 2014
  11. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Am I overthinking this? (My username does have an IRL origin).[/quote]

I do not think so. This is a legitimate "quest" not a bagoholic therapy session. Hit a brick and mortar store and check the sizes.

12. IThinkTooMuch

I had a small company portfolio brief left over from a college internship that's about 3.5" x 15" x 11". It was a tight fit, but I was able to get everything and a library book into it and still zip it up. So as long as there is are external compartments for calculator/sunglasses/hand santizer/business cards/etc., I'm good to go with the 256 and similiar bags. If push really comes to shove, I have a company issued zippered tote bag.

13. Jabbalaugh

Jabbalaugh Loaded Pockets

I have a Duluth Firehouse canvas and leather briefcase and it's perfect and you don't have to spend $200+ for a name....lifetime no :censored: warranty too.

14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I believe J.W. Hulme has leather/canvas briefcase too.