1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good quality waist pack needed

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by streak, Jun 18, 2018.

1. streak

streak Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a decent quality (1000 denier nylon) waist/fanny pack big enough to hold 3 or 4 passports and other odds and ends. No CCW required.

There are many around the $10-$20 range but they all seem low in quality. On the other end are products like the Maxpedition Octa Versipack but it looks a little too large and difficult to conceal under clothing when travelling abroad.

Any other options out there?

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

If you can score a Patagonia hip vault, they are awesome. I have a couple and they wear well.

3. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Something so simple as a fanny pack can be hard to find if you desire quality.

I like Kelty, usually a nice balance of not too overbuilt but still quality.

https://www.kelty.com/warbler/

4. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

Mountainsmith is my go to for that sort of thing. I think they’ve got something small enough that would suit you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phatch and Durandal64 like this.
  5. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Pacsafe would be worth a look. Snugpak response pak has quite a following in the UK.

Jay-uk likes this.
  7. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Jay-uk, Myrddraal and Gary Gross like this.
  8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mystery Ranch. Super tough.

nick nitro likes this.
  9. streak

streak Loaded Pockets

Thanks all. Some great suggestions here.

10. Basilius

Basilius Empty Pockets

I have a Mountainsmith Knockabout pack and like it. It's only 610d Cordura, but it's very tough. It also stays close/tight/flat to my body and doesn't stick out too much, so it doesn't look goofy.
    https://mountainsmith.com/knockabout.html

#11 Basilius, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  11. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I have a Tatonka one with one big, one small zippered pocket. Don't know if the fabric is thick enough for you, but mine held up great in 10 years, and I bought it pre-used on a fleamarket. I only occasionally wear it around the waist (when cycling, hiking or doing work on ladders), usually I wear it as a small sling bag in summer for when I don't want a bagpack on me. if I don't wear it it is usually filled with first aid kit, some zip ties, tape, small knife and light and thrown in a bagpack. So it is actually moved around every day with metal things (keys, coins, lighter, small knife, occasionally even screws or nails) inside and has no holes so far. If if the main compartment is empty I can fit a 0.5 liter plastic water bottle or a can in, so that's a really nice size for sporty activities as well. the strap can be made really wide (120cm), so if you want, you can attach it around a bagpack as additional outside compartment or around a tree at the campside, or wear it loose around the shoulders.

The best thing about it is that it wears really really flat when not filled to the max. So it can be worn under your clothes and doesnt look as ridiculously as most other fanny packs i've seen. and boy can they look silly.

just found it on the web.. google for "tatonka funny bag" (sic!). It is really cheap, too, only 10 euros. don't let the product picture mislead you, this is how it looks like when stuffed full. A lot of stuff can be put inside, but it's really flat hanging when empty or with only flat items in it and wears nice on the body. And since it's rather deep, you can use it with zipper open as a big drop pouch without having to fear that stuff will just fall out. also works with a few heavier items in the small pocket and the big pocket almost empty, it doesn't flop around and hangs nice and flat. also it is plain black. The logo isn't too terrible or flashy either, but still I painted the stitched logo with a black marker to tone it down.

I totally recommend this thing, cheap, durable and very versatile. If you want padding and a ton of organization, it might not be for you. But you could easily customize it and stitch in a few loops or velcro to the backside.

here's a picture, hope I am allowed to post picturelinks to other websites.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by flux, Jun 21, 2018
    #12 flux, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  12. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I would not carry passports in a pack. To easy for someone to snatch and run.

13. streak

streak Loaded Pockets

Thanks all. I bought the Mountainsmith Vibe and it's perfect for my needs. It's going to get some heavy use over the next few weeks.

14. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

Late to reply, for future reference maybe the Tom bihn sidekicks?
    PK

15. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Just got one really chuffed only issue is the adjustment of the waist band is very poor

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.