1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good mid priced EDC knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Emeraldalkaline, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Emeraldalkaline

Emeraldalkaline Loaded Pockets

First of all I am sorry, I am sure there are a hundred threads like this, so please bear with me.

So a little while back I decided to take the jump to some more expensive knives and got a Spyderco Delica FFG. And shortly after I was given a used Kershaw Blackout from a friend. I love these two knives and lately they've been all I am carrying aside from maybe my CRKT Folts Minimalist, Rat 1, or CRKT M21 (if I could ever get it sharp).

Im getting the itch to get another blade and I want something that will fall in the "nicer" knife category with my Delica and Blackout. I'm not looking to spend a ton, maybe the $30-$60 range. I want something on par with the Delica, or just above average performance and use really. I wand a 3 inch or under blade, decent steel, sharp, and folding.

I've been looking at things like the spyderco Cat, The kershaw Leek, the spydie persistence, spydie UKPK, small buck vantage, and kershaw Nura compact.

Any suggestions or any opinions on which would be the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

Got a preference on blade shape, lock, assistance, or grip/scale material?

3. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

out of the knives you listed, I would look at the Buck Vantage Pro in S30V, really good steel at a decent price

lobird91 and twin63 like this.
  4. Emeraldalkaline

No real blade shape preference, just nothing impractical or too skinny. Lock or slip joint is fine, as long as it's not going to close on me. And grip I have no preference on, but the more colorful the better!

And thanks Hangman, I will definitely look at it.

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you have your knife needs pretty well covered. Why are you looking for another one?

If you want colorful, the Leek comes in a variety of handle materials. It is an assisted opener if that makes any difference one way or the other.

6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

+1. I rotate a Buck Vantage Select (small) and Kershaw Skyline as my primary EDC knives. I love the Vantage. Carries well and does everything I need an EDC knife to do.

7. Emeraldalkaline

Thanks for all the points towards the vantage. I might end up going for it. Either that or the leek. Anybody have info on any of the spydies though? The cat, UKPK, or persistence?

and J_c, it's simple really. correct amount of gear= current amount + 1 :p

8. Mgj48

Mgj48 Empty Pockets

I would consider a little larger but very comfortable Spyderco Stretch. VG --10 still available. $75 or so for a 3.5" blade that fits your hand like a glove and disappears in your pocket. Mine has run most of the competition to the drawer.
    Second choice would be a Spyderco Centofante 3. Very sweet , sharp, classy blade. About $ 58 and a three inch razor.

9. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

The UKPK I can give a little info (opinion) on. The size is just right for me, I like the choil and wire pocket clip a lot. I used to own a UKPK Rescue that had a very weak backspring, it almost closed on my hand several times while using it:eek: and it was full spyderedge, so scary sharp. I've got rid of that one and picked up the orange G10 model and love it. I like the G10 quite a lot more than the FRN (but a Delica is my most favoritest knife most days...)

Leeks are awesome too, get both!

10. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

You just opened up a can of worms! You got the pick of the bunch with your needs. Kershaw Knockout and Link are awesome. Buck Vantages are great even the 420HC models get a great reception and you can easily get lost in a sea of Spyderco blades too. Don't get me started on slipjoints because they are VERY addicting.

11. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I am consistently putting my Ontario RAT II in my pocket. It's small, decent steel - nothing over the top but easy to sharpen and effective, ambidextrous clip, color choices for handle and blade, nice ergos for my hand...

[​IMG]

Another to consider is one of the Spyderco Ambitious-Tenacious-Persistence models. Excellent value for money from a trusted manufacturer.

[​IMG]

lobird91 and Adahn like this.
  12. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna say a Kershaw Cryo (2). I still haven't found a reason to replace it, no matter how many other knives I see on this forum!

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Heres one reason to replace the Cryo; The Cryo G10! That one has my vote ;)

14. Emeraldalkaline

If I am going Kershaw I think I would prefer the Leek due to the sandvik steel and the fact I can get an interesting handle color, like orange. That or a spyderco Cat, Ambitious, or cricket considering the fact I've been feeling the need for a smallish blade to carry. There's also the small vantage but I'll be totally honest, I'm loving the vantage AVID simply because of those wooden handles. Is the 420HC crap steel?

Sometimes even a 3 inch blade knife feels a little odd to carry around people.

twin63 likes this.
  15. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

I'd get the Spyderco Dragonfly 2. It is more expensive, but it's still in your price range and you do get what you pay for.
    If you shop abound you can find one for $50.

16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna be the punk that tells you to save up a few more pennies and buy a Benchmade Mini Grip new or look around for a good used one on this forum or elsewhere to come up for sale. The Mini Grip I bought several months ago is the only knife that has been able to kick out of pocket my Kershaw Blackout for off-duty EDC. It took me over a year to finally pull the trigger on the Mini Grip because it cost more than I ever planned on paying for a knife ($73.50 for mine). But honestly, as soon as I got it, I wished I had just bought it from the beginning. That feeling has not gone away several months later.

If you refuse to go that route, then I'll offer up some info on other choices. I have two Spyderco Tenacious that were recent buys to keep in my backpacks. I like them, although I have not had much tasks for them yet. I will say while I like them as a bag knife the hole makes them protrude too far out width-wise to allow me to ever pocket carry it without being driven insane. This is my main problem with Spydercos. Take that with a grain of salt as it drives some nuts and others aren't bothered by it. I also have a Spyderco Salt I that was around $50. I like it and bought it specifically for the H1 steel for living on the gulf surrounded by water everywhere I go. But that dang size/form factor means it sits idly by most of the time.

Conclusion: Up your price limit to ~$75 and get one of the best knives on the market in the Benchmade Mini Grip. You won't be disappointed.

Lightnig and johnny five like this.
  17. Emeraldalkaline

While a minigriptilian IS in the future plans, I am not ready to get one now, mainly because I don't want to put $90 on a knife yet. The Delica was a stretch for me.

Right now I'm debating the Kershaw Leek, the Spyderco Ambitious, or a Buck Vantage Avid, if I can get some opinions on their 420HC. It's primarily a matter of wanting one of those 3 in my collection right now and in the case of the ambitious, a small blade that won't scare people.

GatorMedic likes this.
  18. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

^this, and if you need more of a reason go read up on everydaycommentary and the alloutdoors gift guides

Sriracha likes this.
  19. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

I vote Kershaw Leek - black wash finish

johnny five likes this.
  20. Colorodo

Colorodo Loaded Pockets

The new Link BW Gray scales is under $50