1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good looking vest with pockets

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by dimeotane, Dec 7, 2015.

1. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Back in the day all gentlemen used to wear a vest or waistcoat. I think it would be great to find a good looking vest with a full set of extra close-able (button down or zipper) pockets for EDC gear. I'm talking the perfect balance of utility and fashion. Not too much to ask is it? Something that looks respectable worn over a collared shirt as a professional at work but adds some decent pockets for carrying EDC gear. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

It seems like all I see in stores for vests are like this as part of a business suit. You can't fit much in a vest like this. I'm looking for something a little more rugged with better pockets.

[​IMG]

I come across these in the stores too, a puffy insulated jacket. But it's too insulated for wearing in doors all day and a more sporty look than professional for wearing at my desk.
    [​IMG]

I'm not looking for fly fishing vests like this either...
    [​IMG]

This dude looks like one bad :censored: mofo. Still not what I had in mind for wearing at my desk.
    [​IMG]

For the guy who drives a jeep or rides a Harley into work. Maybe a bit casual for the white collar desk jockey....
    [​IMG]

Not bad, but still looks a bit like an insulated jacket. Serious pockets though!
    [​IMG]
    A nice casual vest with serious pockets... but is it dressy enough for deskwork?
    [​IMG]

Not bad... could do some solid EDC with these pockets. ... but again looks like the only jacket you'll be wearing.
    [​IMG]

Now we're getting some where. You add two good button down pockets, plus you can easily wear another jacket or sportcoat over this and look great doing it. Men used to wear this kind of thing every day. Is there even a store that sells something like this anymore or is it too "old fashioned"? Why is something like this so :censored: hard to find in stores?
    [​IMG]

A light vest can be worn under your field jacket which adds another set of serious pockets.
    [​IMG]

Another example of the field jacket and vest combo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by dimeotane, Dec 7, 2015
    MedusaOblongata and Jedigreedo like this.
  2. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I'd be interested in an answer to this.

3. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

How about the 5.11 covert vest or the 5.11 insulator vest in storm. The covert is very nice and has very deep pockets

Sent From Another Dimension

4. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Geeky fanboy love aside, I've always thought something like Han Solo's vest would be pretty useful. Big enough to have a good amount of pockets, but small enough that it doesn't look like someone cut the sleeves off of a jacket.

vi3dr0, LoneArcher, MTFatboy and 5 others like this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Datona Zipper Vest by Coronado Leather

From the website
    "Out latest vest made from full-grain, aniline dyed cowhide and dual CCW pockets. Features button snap and zipper combination with unique half-circle side pockets.
    • Made from a thick and tough, top-grain cowhide (1.4 - 1.6mm)
    • Large #5 YKK Black Metal inside zipper
    • Heavy duty outside military silver snaps
    • Five inside pockets (dual concealment, right wallet & zipper, left wallet)
    • Chocolate brown fabric interior lining
    • Includes a removable universal Holster
    • Seasonal vest, Limited quantities
    • LIFETIME WARRANTY"

MTFatboy likes this.
  6. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Scottevest featherweight, if you can afford the darn thing. Not quite a classic look, but contemporary, discrete, and practical (re-hosted manufacturer's images, obviously).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LoneArcher, Cheeser and Jedigreedo like this.
  7. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

Filson make a few vests that might fit the bill.

8. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Now that is a cool vest

MTFatboy likes this.
  9. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

This, emphatically this! I have a couple of Filson wool vests and they are AWESOME. They are stiff at first but wear in well and add good warmth without too much bulk. There are normal hand pockets and pen and other pockets. Well worth the $100ish you'll spend on them.

MTFatboy likes this.
  10. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Search for "Columbia Men's Silver Ridge Vest". Lots-o-pockets, non-insulated, but may be too casual for what you want (probably a good travel vest).

Check out Woolrich also, they make quite a few vests and their quality is (was? dunno') top notch. Their Teton model may be what you're looking for.

Last edited by Blackheart, Dec 8, 2015
    MTFatboy and MedusaOblongata like this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I like the idea of the Scottevest, more pockets hidden on the inside shall we say than the others that scream,....geek.:D

MTFatboy likes this.
  12. madlag

madlag Banned

I have several woolrich vests and they're very good. For dressier occasion I wear an Orvis tweed vest. It's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTFatboy likes this.
  13. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I completely forgot about Orvis, definitely worth looking into.

madlag and MTFatboy like this.
  14. madlag

madlag Banned

Pricey, but good.

Sent from the liberal offender

15. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have a scottevest quest. It has a ridiculous amount of pockets but does not scream mall ninja.
    I primarily wear it for traveling.

ran23 and MTFatboy like this.
  16. CPG

CPG Empty Pockets

graham_s - what do you carry (if anything) in the back pocket of your SCOTTeVEST QUEST? I have the RFID Vest and a couple jackets, but haven't found any need for the back pockets. Just curious.

17. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Nice suggestions guys! Keep them coming!
    Which stores carry theses or are they only something you can order online?

FILSON CRUISER VEST WOOL

[​IMG]

Orvis Herringbone Pocket Vest

[​IMG]

ran23 likes this.
  18. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Check the Filson website and you can probably find a dealer in your area. I know that there is a small family store the next town over from me who carries them but that doesn't do you much good.

19. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

Depends are you an executive or just a person that sits in a cube or desk. Sicne working at my current employer of a telecommunication company. i have seen the CEO and CFO wear their suit jackets obviously when they have meetings as well as north face micro fleece vests and the wool ones. but everyone else around the campus (of 2000 people) I've seen the same but those 3 main designs dress, micro fleece, and wool are the pick of the litter. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are wearing the scottevest which always intrigued me. but Duluth trading company has some decent casual business designed vest that might fit what you're looking for.

20. Granville

Granville Loaded Pockets

I have both this vest and the hoodie. In my honest opinion they suck. The quality is poor for what you pay for. I threw my vest in the trunk for emergency wear since I never use it.

I purchased the Merrell Transcend blazer. Has a couple pockets and is lightweight. Made for bike riding/commuting, but I use it at work daily. Great for EDC in my opinion.

Municipal_Jedi and MTFatboy like this.