1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good hiking/camp knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JasonAre, Mar 4, 2012.

1. crudos

crudos Loaded Pockets

Second vote for a Gerber Big Rock. I know it's not as tacticool and pricey as other stuff, but is a solid blade, you can beat the crap out of it, and if you lose it, your not out a bunch of money. Has a great feel in the hand too.

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

+1

My two current favourites for camping.

The SAK should be self explanatory, but a model like the huntsman, camper or farmer makes for an excellent camp knife - a couple of blades for small chores and as backups, a brilliant saw for its size and a range of other useful tools.
    Alongside that one of the Mora fixed blade knives gives you a cheap but decent fixed blade for whatever other duties you wish.

Those are the two I carry when taking out scouts, and have so far proven themselves well. If you have the money and intend using it hard I would be tempted to put a bit more towards a slightly nicer fixed blade to give you something full tang which will be more suitable for harder tasks like batoning, which is one thing I have not really tried with my (half tang) Mora. For everything else it has been more than capable.

3. Rule .308

Rule .308 Empty Pockets

Take a look over at Tomar's he has some of the best pricing and selection on Kabars and Becker Knife and Tool stuff. Ontario Knife and Tool has some nice stuff and it is pretty much all American made to boot.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I have a Cattagarus 225Q. Its real old, but not real rare, or expensive. I got my knife from a gun show for 20 bucks. I had to clean it up and replace the handle, but the steel is real nice carbon steel that really takes an edge. If weight is a concern, definitely redo the handle. The butt end is a bunch of 3/16 steel plates, stacked up, twisted on, and nailed/riveted into place. I would imagine it would make a great hammer, but I never use a knife as a hammer. Its the same motion as stabbing myself in the head. The blade is not too thick, prob around 5/32-3/16.

I also own several puukos, including Moras. Amazing bang for the buck, but the cheaper ones are definitely light/medium duty knives. I would pair one with a small hatchet in a hot second though.

For your folder I recommend a SAK, as others have suggested. I have a Farmer. A saw blade is a must for the woods, but I find I use the awl the most of all the blades. I love it.

If your folder must lock, then i am assuming you plan on doing heavier tasks with it. Just be careful you don't bring the wrong tool to the job, break the tool, or break yourself, or both, in the woods. If its just for one handed opening, and safety and piece of mind, i dig it. In your price range I suggest CRKT M-16/18/20/22. It has a lock on its lock! (obligatory "Yo Dawg") which is piece of mind. And a flipper which works well with gloves. Good luck on your shopping.

6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

A photo of my good ole Buck Special, taken on a canoeing trip two years ago

[​IMG]

7. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

Gerber Gator Drop-Point folding knife works great.
    4 inches of 154cm steel & lock-back is solid.
    It has a "grippy" handle for wet-work. Safer to use.
    Comes with a Cordura Sheath to put on your belt too!

[​IMG]
    Use a hatchet for firewood.

8. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

9. Jakerock

Jakerock Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Trekker $30
    [​IMG]

Mora Clipper $20
    [​IMG]

10. ixbrian

ixbrian Loaded Pockets

I would recommend the Mora Bushcraft for hiking/camping. It is a tough knife and only $27 on amazon..

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I've never liked the Seal knife and its offspring much. The Gov Tac, on the other hand...:drool:

I still don't like the tacticool look of the Kydex sheath, but the knife itself looks like a dream!