1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good hiking/camp knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JasonAre, Mar 4, 2012.

1. JasonAre

JasonAre Banned

I’m looking for two knives. One fixed and one a folder, preferably in the 20-30 dollar range for each. Any suggestions?

2. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

My suggestion is to pick either a fixed or folder and spend $40-$60 for that knife so you can get a decent knife.

3. fatnewt

fatnewt Loaded Pockets

Agree with EDChris. I've always used an old-school Ka-bar when I go camping. That would fall in to the $50-60 range.

4. JasonAre

JasonAre Banned

The more I look at the Esee Izula I figure the 47 bucks is worth it because it’ll take a beating.

5. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Dude, I love my Izula! Get one if you don't have one.

6. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Check out the Baladeo 22 gram folder, ultra-lightweight knife. If you have a fixed blade to "use hard" you can't go wrong with this sucker. Some people say the frame lock can disengage accidently but if you are familiar with folders you should not have a problem if you use it for what its made for. And it’s around $25.00 US shipped.

[​IMG]
    Baladeo 22 Gram knife by kyeandtabbs, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Baladeo side view by kyeandtabbs, on Flickr

7. JasonAre

JasonAre Banned

Could I remove the pocket clip on this?

8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

A SAK and a Mora.

marcclarke likes this.
  9. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Walmart Buck 110. Around $30 last time I checked. It will do most of what needs done with a knife. I've never had a real need for a fixed blade. If you want a folder a little smaller than the 110, the 112 is nice also. As mentioned above, a good SAK is always nice to have around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Nothing will touch a Mora for the money( and prob not much above it)
    Sak & Mora

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Some questions to clarify what you really need:

- Are you counting on wood fires for cooking, or do you carry a camping stove of some sort?
    - Do you camp in a tent, or do you use a tarp or build shelters?
    - How wild/civilized areas will you camp in? (Designated camping areas vs. three days deep in roadless forest).
    - Will you catch/kill and clean/prepare any fish or game on these hiking/camping trips?

I find that if you don't need to build wood fires or shelters, don't count on fishing or hunting and do not stray to far from populated areas, you won't really need a fixed blade. For most tasks, any quality folder as big as or bigger than a Buck 110 will do just fine. Also, if you bring a cooking stove and/or a tent, I really, really recommend taking a multitool. You will probably be much more likely to need that than a big, burly fixed blade.

All that said, I think you'd be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than the Mora Clipper (fixed) offers. A folder is more convenient to carry, but try finding a decent one for $10...

So, if you don't already own a decent multitool, buy a Clipper and a Leatherman Wingman or Sidekick.

If, on the other hand, the answer to one or more of the above questions is yes, or if you already carry a multitool, I'd consider spending up to $60 on a bigger fixed blade (5"-7" blade), and let the MT blade(s) be your backup. Gerber's Big Rock looks OK, although I've never handled one.

EDIT: The Big Rock is a bit smaller than what I would prefer, but it fits the price range, and seems to be of decent quality. I see now that you can get a KA-BAR from Amazon for $53, a knife that fits my bill for a fixed blade outdoor and camping knife even better.

12. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

13. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

+1

This is my Grandpa's Mora. It is probably close to 40 years old now. Handle is a little loose but still has a good edge.

[​IMG]

14. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Amazon, Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus, $30! great knife for camping,, JR

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I know there are different opinions on this, but I've learned the hard (sharp) way that on hiking/camping trips, you should always bring either a locking blade or a fixed one. Also, when you rely on equipment like cooking stoves and tents, the pliers of a good multitool can come in handy in a pinch (pun intended).

16. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

Get the izula!!! Lol really tho awesome blade awesome sheath system which is a plus. Moras are great too but to be honest I would do things with an Izzie that I wouldn't consider doing with a mora. And as for a folder I would recommend a Vic soldier it might be a bit higher than your price range but it has a locking blade and a great saw. And if you only have a small fixed blade a saw could come in very handy

17. LOW96HB

LOW96HB Loaded Pockets

Esee 5......

18. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The ESEE 5 and 6 look like wonderful knives, but aren't they about twice as expensive than what the thread starter had in mind?

19. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

This is actually a pretty complicated situation when you throw in a limit on spending. As I stated earlier in this thread, the Izula is a fantastic little knife. By no means would I consider it a primary knife (however it would probably see the most use if that makes sense). More as it was intended as a neck knife. I did some thinking about what I would bring camping (although I haven't been camping in years). Now if this is not a pack light trip I would personally carry the following:

-Main blade-Old School Ka Bar
    -Esee Izula neck knife (would probably see the most use)
    -Leatherman Wave (multi-tool or SAK of some kind)
    -Spyderco Delica4

Each one of them serves a distinct purpose for me at home and I can't imagine anything different when camping. The Ka Bar is actually brand new in the box as I have not had a use for it around the house. It was a gift from one of my younger brothers. He gets upset every time he comes over and sees it hasn't been used, but at least I know what it will be used for :)

20. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The spending limit does indeed make the task a bit more complicated, but, hey, we EDCers love a challenge, don't we?

And actually, unless you plan on doing a lot of hunting or fishing, the following will probably cover all your needs on 95 out of 100 camping/hiking trips:

I don't own a KA-Bar myself, but my main blade for outdoor actvities is a Buck Special. It is an inch shorter than the KA-BAR, but has a similar thick clip point blade. I love this blade shape, as it makes it possible to have a thick heavy blade for light chopping tasks and a fine point for delicate tasks like gutting fish, both in one knife!

I see now that Amazon sells the special for just under $40. Add a Leatherman Wingman ($24 on Amazon), and you're just four bucks above the magic $ 60. I think we've got a winning combo right there!