1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good folding knife for a first-timer?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by illxpanda, Feb 4, 2009.

1. illxpanda

illxpanda Empty Pockets

Hello, I'm new to EDC's and am looking to develop an EDC bag soon and want to start with a good folding knife first. I am fairly new so I don't have very much aside from my Surefire G2 Nitrolon OD(w/ 120lumens bulb) and Fenix light.

What is a good folding knife for under $50 shipped, I won't necessarily be carrying it with me everyday per se(I'm a highschool student) but will be using it for opening items such as boxes, taking it camping, etc.

I was looking at a Benchmade Ambush, are they any good, I haven't able to find many reviews on them as the Mini-Ambush is reviewed alot more. I would be willing to geet a mini-ambush as well but want to look at the original Ambush first and foremost.

2. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

i'd try to stretch and get a benchmade mini-griptilian. I think you can get them for $55-60 if you hunt around.

3. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Try any of the CLB designed Bokers. They are great and designed by our very own Daywalker. You can even help out the forum by buying them from the forum store! :luck:

4. illxpanda

illxpanda Empty Pockets

Will definitely look into these, would love to help the forums. I definitely have enough money to get a good high-quality knife, but too much money goes into my first car(04' GTO, yummmmm, v8) so I would like to keep money for that lol.

I checked the store and saw the knives, but is there a place where I can view all the knives and their prices?

5. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Tenacious!

6. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

1+ for a mini griptilian

7. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the mini-grip. An excellent alternative is a SAK soldier. SAK's are more people friendly the extra tools can be handy.

8. mike__

mike__ Empty Pockets

Buck 112 - about $30.
    Byrd Cara Cara - about $20.
    KaBar Dozier Folder - about $20.

3 inexpensive knives that I can recommend. If you like the hunting style knives - "traditional" folding knives with wooden handles - stay away from the cheap copies of the Buck 110 and 112. A few extra dollars to get the real Buck will be well worth it. The cheaper models are poorly made. As for the Byrds, these are exceptionally high quality knives that are worth every penny.

On of the big advantages of these knives is that you can use them hard without having to worry too much. Worst case scenario, you just buy another. Having said that, however, I still take good care of these knives. It's not often that you can find outstanding quality and low price together.

I have to agree with a previous poster in this thread:

I've had a private conversation with Mr. Burly, the gentleman that operates the forum store. He is professional, honest, polite and first class all the way. I highly recommend the forum store.

9. Jubal

Jubal Loaded Pockets

+1 benchmade mini griptilian

Axis lock is a pleasure

10. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

Benchmade griptilian or Spyderco Delica. Two great knives for a great price.

Or for general carry and camping anything in the Victorinox line-up.

The French made Opinels are Great knives for dirt cheap also.

11. Brundlefly01

Brundlefly01 Empty Pockets

Agree, Griptilian, is one of the best first timer knife IMHO :iagree:

12. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Benchmade Mini Grip. Have been a couple of sale on here lately for $50 or so. So if you wait and look around, you can get one for that. Great knife.

13. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Spyderco native, 40 ish if your walmart still has them. But the mini grip is money well spent.

14. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

:iagree:

3.38" blade, G-10 Handle, 4oz, 8Cr13Mov steel for $29 (estimated - $38 shipped)

I personally dont think you can get any folder better than that for under $40 (shipped)

15. mwelch8404

mwelch8404 Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

16. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Smallish - MiniGrip or Delica
    Biggish - Endura or Griptilian
    SAKish - Soldier or Farmer

They may run a little above your budget, but any of these knives will never let you down or make you feel "underknifed" in any way.

17. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

My walmart never has it in stock :brickwall: (is it the S30v steel verison or VG-10?)

If it was in stock (if it's the S30V verison) I would have bought like 5 of them muwhaahahahahaha :lolhammer:

18. illxpanda

illxpanda Empty Pockets

lol thanks everyone for the advice. definitely think I'll be picking up the mini griptilian tonight. Will post pics once I get home if I do get it tonight :woohoo:

19. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The Mini Ambush is a really nice knife at an attractive price point. However, the Mini Griptilians are even better. My personal favorite in that size range is the Caly3, but it is more expensive. I am always happy to "settle" for a Delica4 though... a great knife and an excellent price. Spydercos may look funny but as far as performance is concerned I'll take a Spydie any day.

20. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

P.S. nutnfancy and cutlerylover on youtube.com have great reviews on knifes, i highly recommend you watch some of their vids before you make a choice :luck: