1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good first fountain pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by polonium9, Jun 19, 2015.

1. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

The Zebra F-301 is starting to die and doesn't work when needed.

I was considering making the jump to a fountain pen.

My question is, as an EDC pen, how is a fountain pen for basic writing? Like writing a note on paper when someone says "can you write this down?".

Also, how is the basic Pilot Metropolitan that's like $13?
    I've also considered a Baoer, due to the price.

2. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The two fountain pens that immediately come to mind as good, relatively inexpensive introductions to fountain pens are the Pilot Metropolitan and the Lamy Safari. They're both good enough that unless you're looking for something specific, you may never need to upgrade to anything else. Which one you like better seems to be the most dependent on how you hold your pen (the Safari is shaped for a tripod grip).

How well any fountain pen does for EDC depends entirely on how fountain pen friendly the paper you write on is. If you can control the paper you write on, then you're fine, but if you need a pen that will write well on whatever paper you're given (forms, receipts, etc), then a fountain pen is probably going to frustrate you. Finer nibs and certain inks will help, but you'll never be able to just write on anything like you can with a sharpie pen or space pen.

When I EDC a fountain pen, it's usually the Lamy Safari or the Lamy Logo. But I always have a space pen on me for when I need to write on paper that doesn't like real ink.

--flatline

surefire7, QuodErat, naynoes and 2 others like this.
  3. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Thank you!

I just bought the Pilot Metropolitan, due to its price and availability of cartridges.

Thanks again!

sungame likes this.
  4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

That's an excellent pen. I'm sure you'll love it.

Keep your empty cartridges. If you get a syringe, you can refill them from a bottle of your favorite ink.

--flatline

surefire7, kd7dvd and Ataki like this.
  5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

IMHO, a fountain pen is the best writing tool there is, especially if you write a lot. It writes smoothly, quickly and almost without pressure. This means filling a page with text is much less tiring than with a pencil or ballpoint pen.

Also, since the fountain pen has to be held at an angle, since the ink flows easily, and since you cannot put much pressure on it, it lends itself naturally to cursive handwriting. I have a horrible handwriting, and the only tools that let me write in a semi-legible handwriting are fountain pens.

As flatline writes, fountain pens will not write on every sort of paper, but they will write on most - although not always perfectly. Cheap, porous paper will soak up a lot of the ink, making the letters "bleed" a little. Very hard, slick papers will not soak up much ink at all, which means the ink will take longer to dry, and you can accidentally smudge it while writing. Fountain pens will not write at all on glossy surfaces like some magazines and brochures.

I am a professional writer (journalist, reporter and non-fiction author) , and i routinely carry fountain pens on assignment, along with a decent notebook or two (both Moleskines and standard journalist pads work well). I also keep extra ink cartridges in my bags, along with a cheap ballpoint pen or two as backup.

In my experience, the most important problem with carrying fountain pens "in the field" is their tendency to leak. Therefore, while i have a couple of fountain pens that I often carry in bags and packs, I own only one that I dare to carry in shirt, jacket or even pants pockets: The Kaveco Sport. Since it has a screw-on cap, it is better protected than most pens. It is also small enough to easily fit in most pockets.

kkay, surefire7, QuodErat and 3 others like this.
  6. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

You made a great choice with the Pilot Metro.

Prepare to get hooked on fountain pens. :)

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk

surefire7 likes this.
  7. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Back when I was homeschooled, my mom taught me caligraphy with a fountain pen.
    I hated writing but that fountain pen is something I remember greatly.

sadly, though, I still can't write well. :(

8. Spydieman13

Spydieman13 Loaded Pockets

Parker pens makes some nice, affordable pens.

9. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

Platinum Plaisir or however you spell it is a good starting fountain pen.

10. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

So, today is fathers day and I'm seeing my father on the 25th.
    Do you think the fountain pen would be a good gift or too cheesy?

I haven't received it yet, but I paid for next day shipping so I'll get it tomorrow.

11. dmourati

dmourati Loaded Pockets

Lamy Safari is a great first fountain pen.

Other ideas: Pilot Varsity (disposable) Pilot Prera.

Have fun!

12. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I love fountain pens, especially Parker 51s. I'd guess any of the cheap robust disposables or cartridge pens from Parker or Pilot would be OK.
    However, for most situations in non-office environment I'd say that they probably aren't the best solution. They're great for exams or letters.
    In the workshop, or in my case at the weekend, a wet pit-garage, a cheap ballpoint is unbeatable. I use complimentary ones from hotel rooms, banks and places like that. I have a bunch of them so when it gets dropped, lost, permanently borrowed or trodden on it doesn't matter.

13. Ataki

Ataki Loaded Pockets

I'll +1 the Pilot Metropolitan. I refill the carts with Iroshizuku Take-sumi, and the combo can't be beat on all of the paperwork I do every day.

14. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks, guys!

I received the pen, but I decided on giving it to my father for fathers day.

He does paper work a lot, so I think it would be fine for him.
    considered a multi-tool, but he travels too much for that. :p

Again, thanks, guys!

15. dmourati

dmourati Loaded Pockets

I use Iroshizuku ink too. I have yama-budo (purple) and tuski-yo (blue-green). Both are outstanding.

16. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

The Lamy is a good choice as long as your hands aren't to big. I find the triangular shape doesn't sit well in my hand. I'm a fan of Monteverde pens but wish they had a fine nib option. I'm now looking at a Kaweco or a Sailor for my next pen. I EDC a Lamy Safari, a Lamy CP1, and a Monteverde Artista with different inks for different purposes.

17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

umm... what they said!:D

The Metro is a great pen. I don't have one yet but it's reliable and a lot of people love it. My first fountain pen was a Jinhao X-750 and I've been hooked ever since. Welcome to the addiction.

18. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Actually, I gave it to my father as a fathers day gift. He liked it.

I'm gonna get another, once I get the chance!

How are the Jinhaos?

19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Jinhaos are surprisingly good for the money, but not amazingly consistent. I've only had one so far but the general consensus is that if you get a good one (which a safe majority seem to be) they're fantastic writers for the money, but there are bad ones floating around that need a little work to write. Mine was VERY wet. Even more so with an aftermarket nib (the stock medium wrote well enough, I just prefer finer lines). Mine also had a tendency to dry out if you left it capped and nib up for a day or two. You'll want an aftermarket converter- they take standard internationals and the one that comes with it is kinda junky (but it's what, a $6 pen on fleabay? Most makers can't be bothered to include a converter at all until you break the $50 price point).

It's a heavy and quite large pen. The clip is VERY stiff (be careful with what you clip it to). For the money, even for the $10 you'll pay from most "safe" American-based retailers, it's worth the cost. If you add a $5 Schmidt converter you've got a very functional pen, and a JoWo nib makes it write much akin to a much more expensive pen, given that JoWo makes nibs for people such as Edison...

20. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a Kaweco Sport and it's a great pen. Closes small for pocket carry, fits the hand nicely, variety of colors, and a really nice smooth nib with a choice of sizes (M, F, and XF). It's my new EDC pen and if I had a complaint it would be that it only takes cartridges, a converter won't fit it. So if I want to try a funky bottle ink I have to get a syringe to fill the cartridge.

kkay and surefire7 like this.