1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

good edc that is ergonomic, looks good, good brand and wont break the bank?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by simmerdownjack, Jan 2, 2011.

1. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

i'm not sure what to get. :brickwall: maybe a spyderco delica 4 or the ontario rat 1. up to any sugestions. also I'm looking for a knife that is small.

2. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

3. simmerdownjack

well i already have a leatherman and i'm now looking for just a blade.

4. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't consider the Rat to be small, though I just bought a couple in the past couple of weeks. Delica not a bad size in my opinion, as is a Kershaw Leek, Scallion and Chive. Sog Flash1 and Flash 2 (these two will have the least weight for blade size in this price range and an outstanding pocket clip). Lot's of small spydercos, you'd have to go to Spyderco web site and start looking at the hundreds of blades in various finishes, steels. I'm not normally a serrated edge guy, but the Spyderco serrated is wicked. If you've never handled any of these, find a knife store or a gun show and seek them out. Best to see what you like handling it before ordering.

5. simmerdownjack

thanks you for all the information. I checked out spydercos website and I think I'm going to go with the SS cricket. looks like it fits all my needs.

6. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

The etched handle model Cricket is more secure to hold.

7. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

For the money, I can't think of a better knife than the Dragonfly (it is a little smaller than the Delica 4, but its design is a bit more refined). The Dragonfly 2 is pretty darn close to a perfect EDC blade: small, but big enough to handle a variety of tasks, good clip, good in pocket ride, good in hand feel, excellent blade shape and grind, easy opening, and lightweight (1.2 ounces). All this for around $39. Skip the G10 version unless you are buying for looks, the FRN version is both lighter and cheaper. The Dragonfly is a GREAT knife. If you have a lot of money to spend some of the Santa Fe Stoneworks mods of the Dragonfly are really amazing. Then there is the Spyderco lasered handle Dragonfly.

8. kohbanang

kohbanang Loaded Pockets

Maybe

If you have a little more money less you can hit a Caly 3,looks and works awesome:dance:

9. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I'm all about the mini grip. Nice size, easy open, good clip. I carry a 556.

10. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

to offer another option to look at.. buck vantage.

11. simmerdownjack

Hmmmm.... I havent made andy decisions yet, but I think I'm going to stick with some kind of spyderco. Its more of a tie between the dragonfly 2 and the native. (I wish they were still making the calypso jr. that would have been perfect for me)

12. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Tenacious or Persistence, good value, and they are great folders for the money!

13. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'd go with the dragonfly if given those two choices. I admittedly haven't had good luck with pinned construction knives.

14. Yester5

Yester5 Loaded Pockets

I carry a SS Cricket everyday as a money clip...works great.
    I would also suggest a Benchmade Griptillian (mini or regular) as a great EDC knife.

15. simmerdownjack

Heres what I would use the knife for:
    Cutting open boxes
    cutting plastic wrap
    slicing small food items (FFG?)
    cutting plastic ties/ twine

16. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

These chores put minimal demands on a knife. A Minibuck @ $12 or similar (excluding cheap junk) could handle all that, no need to spring for a Native, Dragonfly, Delica or any others suggested here if that is what you encounter needing cut. If, on the other hand, you would also like to own a fine knife for its own sake, the above-mentioned are all splendid choices. There is nothing wrong in wanting good stuff.

18. bigmo66

bigmo66 Empty Pockets

Plenty of choices for sure! I have been carrying a Dragonfly G10 for a while and it's a mini work horse. The Dragonfly 2 would be a great, small EDC and priced very reasonably for the quality it is.

19. simmerdownjack

these are just some of the things i would use for it. i would also be cutting through tough cloth and need a clean cut, some times wire, and it should have a fine point that I can work with. and it probably should come in people-friendly-colors. im more leaning towards the delica or maybe il take the extra size and get the endura. but now i see the need for full flat grind.

20. 1finite

1finite Empty Pockets

Spyderco Sage I or II!