1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good Deep Concealment Gun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by shelbyfanss, Feb 9, 2016.

1. shelbyfanss

shelbyfanss Loaded Pockets

Okay, so my main carry gun is a S&W M&P Shield 9 and I bounce between that and my Taurus TCP depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and mostly what I'm wearing. Living in the heat of Arizona and being a somewhat thin framed guy I am very limited on places on my body I can conceal my Shield. I love the winter and hoodies because then I can get away with carrying my Glock 19, but unfortunately it's almost 90 degrees here already and I'm back to carrying my TCP...

I hate my TCP... I honestly think if I had to defend my life with that gun, I'd feel more confident throwing it at my attacker than actually shooting them with it. That thing jams like a stoner at Grateful Dead concert... I've changed my ammo, I've had the feed ramp filed and polished, it's just a crap gun. Its size is why I bought it. I can pack that thing so tightly to my waist I'm confident I could get through a pat down with it on. (Not that I suggest anyone try that)

So I have a buyer lined up to take that paperweight off my hands and I'm going to immediately pick up a new replacement. I've had my eyes on the M&P Bodyguard for a while now. I like the laser, I like that it shares a lot of features with my Shield, but I hate that trigger. So before I go and buy a brand new Bodyguard that I will need to do a trigger mod on, I thought I would see if anyone can suggest a better gun. I'd prefer a 9mm, but short of the Double Tap and the questionable reliability of the Diamondback DB9, I don't know of any that are as small as my TCP. I'd also like to stay under $400 here, so the Colt's Kimber's, and Sigs are going to be a bit much for me on this one. Any suggestions?

2. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

For around $500.00 you can get a new Springfield XDS in .45. Or you could look for a used snub nose revolver in .38 or .357. I carry a Taurus snubby in .357 in a pocket holster in relaxed fit jeans.
    Worst case scenario, move to Texas and open carry.

shadowolf713 and reppans like this.
  3. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Kahr CM9. Very close to the TCP in size and right around $375.

Also check out the Beretta Pico and Nano.

4. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Try the new Remington rm380 .

Jake

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I like AIWB snubs/Remora for deep concealment (and comfort and accessibility) - I can't put a semi there. Smith Air Weights are $400 new, and I'm fond of the humpbacks.

6. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Before getting my Shield I carried a Kel Tec PF9 with the belt clip for years. I carried it between my pants and skivvies at the 4:30 position. Just get one that's hard chromed or cerekote and you won't have to worry about rust.

I also carry my LCP the same way.

7. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I've never been a fan of Taurus so not that familiar with the TCP... my Ruger LCP was very reliable after a ramp and hood polish, breaking the corners of the extractor, and working on the bolt face.... more shoot able after I added sights... but I have a problem shooting short sight radius pistols, with long double action trigger pulls that break at the front of the grip... I can manage at 7yd but not so much at 20yd... I still have the LCP, but prefer to carry the G42 as I shoot it much more accurately and much quicker... pic of the size difference between them... the old Yaqui slide is used as a pocket holster for the LCP, and does a good job of breaking up the outline

[​IMG]

reppans likes this.
  8. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

Why not just use the gold standard of deep concealment - the S&W J frame? My little 442 is perfect as a backup and a hot weather CCW. I've seen a significant number of the pocket 9mm and .380s have issues on a the square range and at classes. I've never seen anyone have an issue with a J-frame, lock or no lock.

reppans likes this.
  9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that description, my LCP is the hardest gun to shoot accurately in my collection (even though not the smallest), and I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what it is (so I can avoid on future purchases). Originally thought it to be the long trigger pull (~1/3 longer than a J-frame) but I now think you've nailed it with the break being too close to the grip... (well for me at least).

10. rockerZz

rockerZz Loaded Pockets

If you like 1911 style pistols, the Sig P238/938 platform is excellent in this regard. Thin, small, but no excessive recoil. Full size night sights which you don't often get on the tiny guns.

11. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets