1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Good aluminum handled assisted opener?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by tonester, Jul 2, 2011.

1. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

ok so i love the looks of all these aluminum handled autos ive been seeing lately. i would love to carry one but alas i live in california and cannot even own one unless the blade is under 2".

so im looking for the next best thing which i think would be an assisted opener. i would prefer for the handles to be aluminum and the blade to be as close to 3" inches as possible, 3.5" at the most. any suggestions?

thanks for the help guys and gals!

2. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

ok so far im liking the benchmade mini presidio and the kershaw leek. anyone have any experience with either of these? any other suggestions?

3. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

kershaw leek. i love to play with it. neat action and solid feel. has an ability to "lock" the blade from opening. but it is in my mind built so that you either lock it out of the way or lock it tight. but to me ,biggest negative is the blade shape (the very thin tip) doesnt work for me. its too fragile for my use tendencies. the overall shape of the knife when closed is great.. it disappears into the pocket.. very slim and streamlined. i just cant use it as much i want to because of the really thin tip.. but i do keep playing with it while watching tv etc. and it is sharp too.. opens bags of candy in one shhwisshhh sound.. :) this is most convinient to open by the flipper tang. (my fingers dont fold around so that its convinient to open by the stud at the blade)

one more to think about.. sog twitch xl. ( i also have the smaller twitchII that is also very neat little knife to open for fun) also has the "store the knife away" safetylock, but this can be opened and locked easier than the kershaw leeks. its nearby the blade release button in the handle. leek is a thru screw type thing at the tip of the blade (if its loose you need 2 hands to work it around.. if tightened you wont be opening the blade without another tool) but i have not yet had an assisted opener open up by itself yet. so this locking safety is just added feature in my knives. (some do remove them totally of theirs so they dont accidentally stop you opening the knife) the blade shape is more "normal" in these knives.. i like that.. not too thin tip etc... and here im talking about the twitch2.. it is easiest also to open by the flipper at the back.. but the thumbstud has a bit better ergonomic location to my hand than the leek. (the XL model might be even better)

no knowledge of benchmade. but what i have learned from others views.. they seem to be a bit more solidly built (blade play etc) and also seem to be made of slightly better materials.. of course they also seem to be more expensive. and that presidio model has the axis frame lock. so all have different lockin methods. which one you like?
    leek= framelock and the twitch= lockback (i think its called.) or the axix.. blade material.. sog is kinda softer material than in others. easy to sharpen but does get dull faster.

4. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I like my kershaw blur.

5. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Blur.
    Great Knife for the money.

6. lpd226

lpd226 Loaded Pockets

7. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

i love the leek! the sog twitch looks pretty good to, i have the twitch 2.

8. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

another vote for the kershaw blur. major bang for your buck and you can grab one on amazon @ 1/2 the price. i have a partially serrated tanto blur and absolutely love it!

9. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

I picked up a Kershaw Blur tanto and it fits the bill perfectly. $57 bucks at Wal-Mart.

The thumbstuds are designed perfectly to launch the A/O quickly.

10. lpd226

lpd226 Loaded Pockets

Heck yes they are! Best ever!

LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

11. alex fekete

alex fekete Loaded Pockets

Apparently no longer made by Kershaw, but still available online for a good price: Kershaw Cyclone.

Alex

12. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

13. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

Benchmade Emissary. That knife looks wonderful.

14. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Kershaw Mini Cyclone. Also a knife I wished I would have kept.

15. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

I handled a Benchmade Emissary a few weeks ago, and it's a sweet knife. I carry and assortment of autos, but I still might pick one up.

16. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

wow! im in love with the Emissary! im gotta check it out. a little bit more than i wanted to pay for but we'll see.

i also want to check out the kershaw cyclone. i actually use to have a blur but didnt like the recurve that much. sweet knife though. i ended up giving it to my brother.

17. kershawleeker

kershawleeker Loaded Pockets

u know theres a lot of hype about the leek but its all true it FREAKIN awesome

18. kershawleeker

kershawleeker Loaded Pockets

the hype abotu the leek is all true its... FREAKIN AWESOME so go and get one

19. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

I ended up scoring an Emissary on eBay last night. They have three more in stock. They have it priced at 169.99 or best offer with free shipping. I offered them $150, and they accepted, so you might try offering a bit less. Here's the link. Good luck!

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yup, tough to do better than a Leek.