1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going to make myself use the red pens...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by flatline, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Flint HIlls

Flint HIlls Loaded Pockets

I'm a college teacher and I use red pens. Not to shame or embarrass students but because red stands out from whatever color ink they may have used. Sometimes I will use blue or green but they use those colors sometimes too. Red is pretty much the only color I haven't seen them use. I have a bunch of Pilot G2 in red but I've really come to dislike how they write. They seem to blob and skip a lot when I use them.

DIlan likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

And for what its worth, some of us recall the days when photocopiers could only be counted on to copy either black or red ink. So early in my career, folks made sure to use red ink for comments and edits so that (1) they would stand out on the original copy; and (2) any photocopies would be sure to have clear copies of said comments and edits. On the flip side of this approach, we also had special pencils with a sort of light blue lead that would NOT copy, so that internal notes would not show up on copies for outsiders...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

DIlan likes this.
  3. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I didn't know that blue wouldn't copy. Both times I bought a house, we were required to sign in blue ink so that the originals and the copies would look different.

I guess copiers have come a long way...

--flaltine

DIlan likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

yup!

Moshe ben David

5. Andrew C

Andrew C Empty Pockets

And, to go slightly off topic, some paranoid writers used to print/type their manuscripts on red paper because apparently (I've never tried) it's practically impossible to photocopy anything on it. I assume that the copy would just be a black or dark grey mess.

DIlan likes this.
  6. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Since I work as a part time teacher... I tend to use them... Don't know what's the point with color insult thing, but since God gave us all color we shall use them all :D ... The best thing is that red color stands out and I can easily find what I underlined.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. 313

313 Uber Prepared

My only red pen is a Uniball Jetstream which came in a 3-pack. Didn't think much of it since I only use blue and black for notes, but then found that it's perfect for highlighting and tagging certain kinds of important entries in my otherwise messy pocket notebook. Use it a lot nowadays.

outbackwack likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I've always used blue or black for writing simply because they copy or scan better than other colors.

9. Moshe ben David

@jag-engr: I think your experience is different than what I am familiar with. Not so much a problem with copiers or scanners on the market now, but go back about say 10~15 years or so. Blue ink, especially lighter shades and/or written with fine points, were known to be harder to copy. To the extent that it was common to find signatures on originals in blue; but especially special pencils using a light blue 'lead' for edits. OTOH, red inks copied as clearly and boldly as black.

Even today, even knowing that copying blue ink is not an issue, (or maybe because of it!) I ALWAYS sign important documents in blue, as well as making any margin notes etc using blue ink. Easiest way to ensure that there is no doubt of which are the original documents.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm about half-way through my "red journal". I started out switching pens every couple of pages, but then began to favor a Pilot B2P G2 because I like the pen body and could visibly see the ink level move with every page written.

I finished that pen last night. My first victory against the red pen horde.

It turns out that I don't like the way that G2's write, so I'm pleased to have the G2 no longer in the pile of pens that I'm using for this project. I do like the B2P host, though, so I may trim a Uni 207 or 307 refill to better fit the B2P host since I don't like the rubber grips on the Uni Signo hosts. Alternatively, I may just ignore the B2P host and focus on emptying a host I do like like the PaperMate Inkjoy or the Zebra Sarasa since those hosts can take the uni refills without needing to make any modifications. Maybe I'll just keep the B2P host for other G2 refills that may turn up around the house.

Anyways, one thing that is clear is that I'll finish the red journal long before I make a serious dent in the population of red pens that I've acquired. There is a lot of writing in a modern pen, even a gel pen.

--flatline

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I suppose it was inevitable. I finally emptied the pen, put a Uni 207 refill in it, and how my wife has claimed it.

--flatline

Andrew C, Moshe ben David and twin63 like this.
  12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Even though red is my favorite color, here's a little side note about using it as an ink color...

I'm not particularly superstitious at all, but I spent quite a bit of time in SE Asia and there are lots of superstitions in that part of the world. The Chinese are very superstitious about using the color red to sign your name. I had Chinese colleague tell me this one time in a meeting. One Malaysian guy only had a red pen, scoffed at the notion and signed his name in red on a meeting attendance list anyway. He keeled over dead the next morning (seriously). Coincidence I'm sure, but it certainly made me think twice about signing my name in red.

So, like the OP, I usually wind up with a bunch of unused red pens and I just toss them.

Andrew C and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. BlackJack07

BlackJack07 Empty Pockets

I rarely use red unless it's for proofing or highlighting in some way. I never heard the "red is rude" concept, but I was always taught growing up that red represented losing money or a negative amount, so I always avoided red for that reason.

14. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

I went to a grammar school in the UK and they used to tell us it was "rude" to write in red ink, particularly someones name. We were told that it was to do with death registers. I have no idea if that's correct, but it's what i've reiterated for years. :)

15. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The red pen project claims another victory: 16-year-old Uniball vision finally ran out of ink.

When I started working, I asked the admin for a red pen to mark code with. She didn't have any in the supply closet, but at the end of the week, she put 3 boxes of Visions on my desk, one red, one blue, and one black. The blue and black pens are long gone, but I still have 1 or 2 red visions left after today. As far as office pens go, Visions are real workhorses. They write well on cheap copier paper and don't die prematurely as long as you remember to put the caps on.

--flatline

16. Moshe ben David

That's interesting. For as much as red is considered a lucky color in Asia and especially with Chinese, and even given that the 'chops' (seals) that are traditionally used for 'signing' documents and art are usually done with a very red paste ink, it is considered very bad fortune out there to sign one's name with a red pen or to address a letter in red ink... No one's ever been able to explain it to me, but I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with Imperial proclamations or the sort.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Colt Seavers likes this.
  17. Andrew C

Andrew C Empty Pockets

This seems feasible. I was starting to think that my parents had maybe said it in an offhand manner and I'd taken it too seriously.

Colt Seavers likes this.
  18. bnate

bnate Loaded Pockets

Red ink in leather note journal. Very striking colors together. Check out Diamine Red Dragon at Goulet Pens. Awesome color !

Colt Seavers likes this.
  19. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

It does seem rather dated these days though doesn't it? I say use whatever colour you like, the majority of the things i make notes for/about are for me anyway. "Be yourself. People don’t have to like you. And you don’t have to care"

20. Moshe ben David

Diamine Oxblood is also nice.... As is Sheaffer Skrip Red, which is brighter.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David