1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going to italy What to bring

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ssmtbracer, May 11, 2011.

1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am going to Italy for a week and not sure what I can and cannot bring. I can't bring my gun :( but can I have a pepper blaster. What type of knife can I have locking or not. Also I am going to Greece while I am there. Any suggestions. I am bringing my Sure fire backup on the plane with me No way I am putting that i a checked bag. I might not check any bags unless I can bring my pepper blaster.

2. fshram76

fshram76 Loaded Pockets

Well when I went to Italy I did not bring a knife and never worried about all that because I was with a tour. I did however bring a hidden wallet that went under my shirt to hide my money and other important things. Pick pockets are good and plentiful in Italy and we had a guy in our group get his back pack taken at a cafe even thought it was by his legs.

At the time I was not much of an EDC'er so I guess a knife could be handy, maybe pick up a small Swiss knife or Gerber Shard or Artifact as well.

Where are you going?

3. ssmtbracer

Well plan on going to Greece as well as Italy. Rome, Venice, Florence

4. zuggzugg

zuggzugg Loaded Pockets

That sounds like a great time, enjoy your trip!

Some of the items I think are must-haves for EDC on a foreign vacation:
    - Earplugs (for trying to sleep on the plane / noisy hotels)
    - Translation dictionary / Electronic device with software for translating
    - A method for storing passport and emergency cash on your person (hidden extra wallet, hidden pocket in jacket, maybe even a concealed carry pouch that can hold these items such as Thuderwear or the Belly Band)

5. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

I prefer an over the shoulder or medium maxpedition bag over a back pack. The street gypsies are past masters at opening up your backpack while you are distracted. Never put your bag down. Beware the pitiful young girl with the baby in swaddling clothes. When the "dip" hits your pocket or bag and you feel it, she will throw the baby at your face, thats when you discover that the baby you just caught is a doll, and the theives are long gone with your stuff. The most notorious spots are the Coliseum and the line for the Vatican Museum. They are must seeums, but keep your head on a swivel and don't fall for any scams. The Rome municipal Police are worthless and the Carabinieri don't care. The Trevi fountain is another spot to stay alert!

Have fun, but remember that Rome is like Brooklyn in the bad old days of the 80's before Giuliani cleaned up NY.

6. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

You will lose that pepper blaster, if anyone sees it at the airports on either end. You can buy one there if you feel you need it. If your not female, old, or disabled - you can expect problems if the police or security types find the spray - esp. if it is a US approved can.

I wouldn't carry more then a small SAK, and a magazine that I could tightly roll up. I will recommend a KwikPoint and a list of basic phrases from the internet, vs a phase book, maybe even run through the free Rosetta Stone demo for Italian and Greek before you go. If Rosetta Stone isn't giving out demo CDs anymore; there are good travel language podcasts that will enhance your trip. I also, always recommend making several copies of your passport and key phone numbers, buying a local prepaid SIM card for your phone (it is GSM?), and picking up a local shirt or two to wear.

7. maded

maded Loaded Pockets

Not sure about the SAK or the pepper, I've always gotten away with a big aluminum Lamy pen. You could even write with it :-D

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Personally, I've never been to Europe, but, from everything I've heard, the primary risk in most of western Europe is theft. Pepper spray probably won't deter a thief so much as just not seeming to have anything worth stealing. Don't be flashy. Don't wear a fancy watch or walk around with a fancy camera.

If you don't speak the language and don't know the culture, don't try to be helpful - it's probably a trap. Take a few hours and familiarize yourself with some of the common street scams. Off hand, here's a link to a page about Barcelona street scams.

If you are staying at a hotel where you can deposit your luggage, try to avoid a backpack or bag, if possible. It's a tempting target for thieves. If your hotel has a safe, place the bulk of your cash and your passport in the safe and just carry the cash you will need for the day and a color copy of your passport. However, verify that this complies with Italy's laws - most countries will accept a color copy, but Italy may not. Carry a credit card and an ATM card - not a debit card. The laws governing debit cards are not as consumer-friendly as those governing credit cards. In case of theft, make sure that your ATM card has a reasonable daily limit. It will at least minimize your losses should a thief be able to both obtain your card and somehow observe your PIN.

If you will be carrying your luggage with you, definitely carry the bulk of your cash and your passport in a hidden pocket or wallet. I would advise against using Maxpedition for travel gear - it's heavy and not especially ergonomic. If you will be carrying you luggage with you, par it enough to fit in a backpack.

9. ssmtbracer

Thanks for all the advice and scam alerts. I will probably carry on my one bag. What do you guys think of caring on my surefire e1b international. Or my e2d