1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going to Iceland

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Trickster, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Hi there,

I will be travelling to Iceland in late august / early september. Most of it will be a guided group tour along the ring road, circling the island and visiting various sights along the way. Afterwards I'll have one and a half days on my own in Reykjavik befor returning home.

I have seen at least one thread of a member who already went there and an introduction thread from a member who lives there, so there should be some knowledgeable people around here.

Has anyone got any tips? Places to visit and things to do in Reykjavik? Things that I'll absolutely need? I am especcially interested in the knife laws, as I was not able to find reliable information on those, only some older forum posts.

I am also thinking about booking a whale watching tour in advance for my time in Reykjavik. Is early september a good time to do that? I went on a dolphin watching tour at the scottish coast last year that had all kinds of things, but no dolphins.

Thanks in advance / Þakka þér!
    Trickster

Edit / Addition: Also, has anyone got experiences with WOW Air? How was the flight and the service? Not that I have much choice of another airline, I am merely curious.

2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Say "hi" to Bjork for me.

3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Iceland? Sounds like a Walter Mitty adventure. I really need a passport.

4. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Went twice. Treks both times. No idea about the knife laws on books but both times I carried my CQ benchmade with no problem. No one cared. Bring heavy duty boots they get beat up quite a bit. Second time I imported the max allowed amount of alcohol. Very expensive locally and made one heck of a nice campfire - nice to meet you- tool.
    If you are single bring protection.

5. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Everything in Iceland is very expensive, like $26.00 for a sandwich and $10.00 for a cup of coffee (currencies converted to $US).
    There is a punk rock museum in Reykjavik if you're into that.
    It might be cold and rainy.
    I wasn't there long so that's all I know.

6. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I went in December. Knife laws seem pretty lax. Had no problem bringing a folder, a large fixed blade, Swiss Army Knife and Leatherman. In Reykavik, I had the folder clipped to my pocket and the Leatherman in a belt pouch. While camping, the fixed blade was also on my belt. I had no problems. Just be smart, don't flash anything out in a public, populated area. I think they ban blades over 12 cm, but my fixed blade was longer than that and got in and out of the country no problem (in a checked bag, of course). No autos, spring loaded, etc.

7. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Trickster, Jul 8, 2017
    #7 Trickster, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  8. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

This was all I could find
    from: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/IS-Iceland-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

And, fwiw: https://www.reddit.com/r/VisitingIceland/comments/3mxhse/knives_in_my_pocket/

9. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I read that before going and took a replaceable one and not one of my older USA or Japanese made ones that my father gave me just in case, but I had no problems. My African-American friend who I went with got more looks than my blades.