1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going to Disney?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MrEarp, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

The wife and I decided we are doing Disney World again in November (we are Disnerds). I'm excited like a little kid. Time to reread this post for the 100th time.

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Great time to go.

We're back and forth by the day between Disney (Beach Club) and Disney cruise. Either will be after Thanksgiving since Christmas at Disney is double the cool factor. We've got a one year old and feel limited to at WDW but have seen 10,000 other babies there. Many disnerds on line say DCL is the way to go with babies. We love Disney too. It's hard to find like-minded people.

Djs105 and charlie fox like this.
  3. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I looked at the Disney Cruise. I'd love to go, but we really just couldn't justify the cost.

Last time we stayed at Port Orleans (moderate hotel) and this time we are thinking budget hotel. We spend very little time in the room and don't use the pools. We usually go to other resorts for dinner (LOVE CAPE MAY!).

Totally off track, does anyone else have the Chase Disney Visa card? I just signed up and wondered if anyone else had experience with it.

4. ArkansasFan30

I have it but haven't used it. I elected to get the one without an annual fee. I won't have any type of account, outside of investments, with such fees.

My motivation for getting was that I think it's cool and want to go to the special activity for card holders. The discounts are nice too, but I'm not sure how practical they are. The interest rate is the same for everyone as I understand it and it's too high. The six months no interest on Disney vacations is a nice touch.

I've had Cape May once as well as every other eatery at Yacht and Beach Clubs. Yachtsmen is awesome steak.

I kind of like chilling at the resorts. There are some great spots so little know about like the Beach Club solarium.

Djs105 likes this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

Beach Club pool is great. Best WDW has to offer. I hate swimming mostly I hate the idea of water being on me after it's been in other people's business. Nonetheless, Stormalong Bay at Yacht Beach rocks!!

6. Upland1911

Upland1911 Loaded Pockets

What are you wearing for hats? Thinking something boonie style with brim all round, light and waterproof. Any suggestions?

7. ArkansasFan30

I've never worn a hat there. I actually hate wearing hats and caps. Sunglasses are a must.

I've seen boonie hats there, however. You name it, and you'll see it, lol.

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I always wear a hat that can be crushed or soaked and is easy to hold. Boonie style would be fine. I typically wear a hat from REI that I have owned for years. Given my thinning hair, the hat prevents a sunburn on the top of my head.

9. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I'm a baseball hat aficionado. I wear them whenever I'm out of the house. And yes, I'm bald as an eagle.

I HIGHLY recommend '47 brand hats. They are super soft and comfortable. My favorite and true EDW hat is made from recycled plastic bottles (somehow) and is so comfortable.

My wife hates boonie hats, so I had to find options.

10. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Lots of Disney this year; cruise and park in April, WDW in May with grandkids, and again in October with our son and his new bride (we won't be there for the whole honeymoon, but hey, any excuse right?). I can't wait - we're Disnerds from before that was a thing! We keep our carry light and very gray. I usually carry my SAK Classic and a small flashlight (I'm thinking my Nitecore Thumb this time). I feel fairly safe in the house of mouse so I step it down a little.

ArkansasFan30 and Djs105 like this.
  11. ArkansasFan30

I feel safe and well at ease there. Lots of cameras, undercover security, and as I understand from at article I read once, counterterrorism measures. I think the uniformed team is merely symbolic.

Do you follow any of the Disney blogs?

We've taken a small break from Disney in the last year having an infant. We're contemplating a Disney Western Caribbean 5-7 night cruise later this year. If you've got tips on that I'd love to read. I've never been on a cruise so obviously if I'm going it'll be a verandah cabin with Disney!

charlie fox likes this.
  12. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

We live in the area and have all year tickets. They are being pretty serious about this stuff now. They do bag checks. They have walk through metal detectors. They do wand metal detectors and ask you to empty your pockets. They say it's random that you will be picked but they have picked us every time. I just bring a small slip joint knife that the metal detectors have yet to detect.

charlie fox likes this.
  13. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I haven't checked out many blogs, but I will! We're doing a five day cruise in April and will let you know how it goes - it's Disney so you know it's kid friendly, even for babies:D

As for security, I had a chance a few years ago to chat with a senior manager at a management conference; he said their countermeasures are the best money can buy and their teams are highly skilled and train often with local, state and federal agencies. The reasoning is if anything bad happened at a Disney property it would seriously damage the brand, which mean a loss of potentially hundreds of millions of dollars. Disney sees it as paying it forward for future generations of mouse eared Disnerds like us.

Djs105 and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  14. ArkansasFan30

Disney Tourist Blog with Tom Bricker. Best out there.

charlie fox likes this.
  15. ArkansasFan30

Wow I didn't realize how badly I butchered this post.

16. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

17. Upland1911

Upland1911 Loaded Pockets

Trying to decide if a SAK or other small "tool" will pass. Will feel "naked" without something on me to cut with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

It's the most difficult thing to get out of the car feeling naked with out one of the three knives I carry daily, and step into Disneyland without any Edc sharp objects
    I guess if :censored: I could swipe a knife from one of the many restaurants and grind it out to a useful tool. Yea I thought it thru ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ArkansasFan30

Well, I've never gone to Disney without first going through TSA, and I abhor checked bags (although I did recently have a luggage threat on this forum).

That being said, I've never taken a knife to WDW and managed well without it . I used to take some trauma shears but won't anymore because one inept guard made a big scene out of them. I figured if TSA was ok with it Disney would be as well, but in a handful of trips I never had to use them for anything.

20. twinight

twinight Empty Pockets

I had an issue with a emergency kit I carried through the bag check. It had an altoid tin, shears, cord, tweezers, glue sticks, duct tape, flashlight ponchos and foil blankets, water filter, etc. I had to convince them that I wasn't going to kidnap any of the animals in the Animal kingdom.