1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going to Disney?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MrEarp, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Upland1911

Upland1911 Loaded Pockets

Reviving an older thread, but i am heading down in june and researching what i CAN take into park. Mainly thinking knife as i almost always have one on me and wanting to have something just if needed. Curious as to size suggestions and means of carry. Will be toting sling bag or back pack of some sort

2. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Disney has a no weapons policy and they treat large knives as weapons. A swiss army classic on a keychain was all i carried the last time i went into the park. They do search bags going in

charlie fox likes this.
  3. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

If you do carry a knife, be aware there are plain clothes agents everywhere. If the see a pocket clip, they will probably ask to see what you have.

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I only carried my TSA compliance tools - Leatherman Style PS and Brewzer.

Additionally, I've had trauma shears before and they was once accosted by a guard for having them. The other guards looked at her like I was making a scene and an older just gave a head nod indicating that I should pass. I wouldn't carry them again for that option. They're one of my travel tools and thus homed in my EDC bag at the time.

I suggest at minimum your Magic Band, sunglasses, some cash, maybe a pocket battery to charge your smartphone, and maybe a small tool like I've mentioned. Headache or other bodyache pills and Blistex are useful.

We stay on property when we go and carry little. For me it's a vacation and I don't wish to be bothered with weight, etc. I've kept a refillable bottle but more recently just buy a water of I want a water or soda or beer, etc.

It really is the happiest place on earth even for a 35 year old guy who detests crowds.

Do your research though. You can't just walk in and have at it, lol. I like Tom Bricker's Disney Tourist Blog and give Disney Food Blog a look as well.

Disney has a myriad of packages, Tables in Wonderland Card, Annual Passes, Disney Chase credit card, and vacation savings account you can take advantage of.

JeffVenture and Djs105 like this.
  5. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I've been to Disneyland numerous times. I have always carried my SAK Explorer and have not had any problems. I don't know how much more knife you'd need in the park. When I go I also bring my Mountain Hardwear Fluid 26 backpack. Generally it is pretty packed with jackets (mostly for Splash Mountain) and snacks. I have never had to totally empty it. They just move the jackets around and let me go.

Chad

6. Upland1911

We a tree e staying in a disney resort. Will be doing a food plan and possibly photo plan. Currently building day pack plans as well as shopping for a bag. I am interested in a sling type, single shlouder but able to be carried on either side. Large enough for FAK, wet gear, battery chargers, etc but not too latge as to be cumbersome on ride etc
    Aany recommendations are welcome. Wife thinks she wants one as well but smaller, and more feminine than what ive showed her. (Vertx, maxpedition)

7. ArkansasFan30

I've used a Maxpedition EDC Versipack several times at Disney World. I should say on several trips. It works really well, and it's easier to navigate the crowds and rides with it than a backpack, i.e. push it to the front or back depending on the circumstance and not have to remove it for rides. I've even used a Grimloc I attached to hold the nice Disney shopping bags. You'll find you won't need much. If you're using the app or your phone much having a way to charge that will help. You could literally survive an entire Disney trip with nothing but a Magic Band assuming you never leave the property, but sunglasses and a phone charger are great. I've posted several times about Disney EDC. The beautiful thing about a bag isn't so much of what you carry in, it's what you can pick up along the way. Anything bulky I have sent back to the resort concierge. About the only souvenir item I carry with me, after a purchase, are the pins. I LOVE the pins.

I have used the backpack carrier from a Camelbak Mule (the militaristic kind), sans bladder, on one brief three day excursion there. We went to sample the Food and Wine Festival and specifically experience Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, and I really think that backpack didn't work out too well. At the forums on ITS Tactical a guy told me about using a Vertx Gamut EDC at Disney. That seems really large for such a trip.

I should note I've seen A LOT of Maxpedition and 5.11 products at Disney typically in the form of the Verispacks and the latter's Push Pack. I think bags "shaped" like the Versipacks greatly increase the ergonomics of a standard rectangular messenger style bag.

My favorite time to go is around Christmas and never needed wet gear. I've only gone once in the summer (May) and curiously got rained on the very first moment we entered a park on that trip and as we were leaving our very last park excursion on the same trip. Both were at Epcot, lol. I carried a Samsonite flat fold travel umbrella in my bag on that trip, and it was over kill. My wife lugged a Disney Minnie Mouse poncho folded up. Regarding FAK, an OTC pain med of choice (ibuprofen for us) and blister tape are popular. I don't seem to blister, but my wife particularly does. You might consider sunblock (not for this ginger) as I've seen people slathering it on in all seasons there. The meal plan will be great if you have family of size. What I have never liked about it is that all the meals come with a dessert requirement. I mean you pay for it, and they'll give it to you. It kind of cramps your style and makes you eat more thus avoiding some of the savory impulse buy snacks you can find around the park.

My wife has a small purse she calls her Disney purse, but on one occasion she bought and took a small shoulder bag with waist strap she bought at Academy Sports. It did what she wanted, and she found it convenient. I would've never expected her to be seen with something like that.

We like hand sanitizer which I've failed to mention. There'll be 50,000 other hands touching the same stuff you'll be touching. Enjoy it and be in the moment. It's really great, and although you don't have to plan out every moment of every day you "should" decide which parks you want to go to and when, what fast passes you'll use where, and how you'll make your dining reservations. If you can squeeze in some down time, there are some really good moments to be had at WDW if you just take the time and relax. The photographers really aren't trained photographers, and the picture quality can be hit or miss.

Djs105 likes this.
  8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carried a lightweight backpack, insulated water bottle, small first aid kit, hand sanitizer and a light pull over rain jacket. In my pockets I carried a SAK Rambler with a Streamlight Nano attached and my wallet. We used the Magic Bands which was very convenient. I used my iPhone as a camera. Have fun!

Weko likes this.
  9. Upland1911

so i took the plunge and just ordered a Vanquest Katara. watched a couple of vids and they have it as a "fire sale" on the Vanquest site.
    we will be using the bands but will also be lugging poncho, phone, charger, snacks for the little one, etc. We've decided to try a couple of the water bottles with built in filtration so we can fill up with available tap water as needed.

10. Upland1911

I should also add we are staying at a Disney hotel, using FastPass and will most likely be using the App. there are just my wife, myself and daughter but we are travelling with several other family members and will be in the parks for 6 days. thus I am no begining the research on what, how, and best practices in general as our travel dates are in June.

Turd Fergusson likes this.
  11. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

Disneyland trekker once a month minimum.
    They do search your bags, but not so much your jacket. Random metal detection.
    Here's my bag. They really don't want me to take everything out. It got searched pretty close once in the last three years[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtngoat, Djs105 and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  12. Jason Jamieson

Jason Jamieson Loaded Pockets

I went in September and the took my S&W Stylus as it could have been used as a kubaton. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. ArkansasFan30

The app is really helpful. It can accomplish a lot for you. When it was first unveiled it was slow and unfriendly. It can still be slow at times, but it's much more efficient. The first week of June is often not optimal for traditional families. I won't say much else.

If you like, you can have a Disney travel agent do all the legwork for you. We've used Angela Dail at Small World Vacations, an authorized Disney planner. You won't pay anything extra anywhere if you use them. They get paid by Disney without increasing any of your rates. She, or a colleague, will take time to talk with you over the phone, answer any questions, and maintain responsiveness to email inquiries. They also know how to coordinate the best deals at rates at what times. Once you go frequently enough in a short period, you don't really need the help anymore, but it streamlines things if you're sort of new to it all.

Enjoy and Have a Magical Day!

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

What are 'magic bands'?

Moshe ben David

15. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Wrist bands that are programmed with your park information, such as Fast Passes and such. Your room info is also on there if you're staying on property; there are no identifiable markings on it and it can be disabled immediately if lost. They're a great way to get around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. ArkansasFan30

You can save credit card information on it as well and shop and eat with it. Given advanced notice, you can select your preferred color and have your name printed under. Of course, Disney also sells and distributes magic band bling.

charlie fox likes this.
  17. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I would suggest a light water resistant windbreaker type jacket rather than a poncho. I've used both and find that while the poncho covers your upper thighs, they are a pain to put on and take off. Plus the jacket can be useful on cooler nights without looking silly

18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Since my son recently acquired his license, he is interested in this organization at Disney World http://www.wd4wdw.org/

charlie fox likes this.
  19. ArkansasFan30

Neat. Didn't know such an organization existed. If it's got a nexus to WDW, I like knowing about it.