1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going to Disney?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MrEarp, Jul 26, 2016.

1. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Disney in Orlando and staying at one of the resorts next week. I have my usual EDC stuff but wondering what are the must haves? I haven't flown on a plane in 30 years and a lot has changed.. We are flying from Michigan to Florida with one layover Total travel about 6 hours?

EDC on person:
    - Iphone 6s Plus
    - Plantronics Voyager Pro ear piece
    - Fisher Space Pen
    - Fenix PD22UE
    - Kydex 6 Card carrier for my EDC cards.

Leaving my G43 at home as well as my favorite EDC folder.

EDC in my backpack - Since we won't have my daughter we are ditching the spare kid stuff.

Backpack is a 5.11 Covert 18

- Battery for charging phone and Ipad along with 2 lightening cables
    - Ipad Pro 9.7
    - Empty Water bottle? - Is this allowed through TSA?
    - Med Kit - No sharps - bandaids, along with a small trauma kit. Usually carry some neosporin? I'm thinking of removing this
    - Change of Clothes
    - 5.00 in quarters - Small roll of Gorilla tape?
    - ParaCord?
    - Yaesu Vx6R?
    - Headphones?
    - Forgot my Anker 5 Port Wall Charger

Usually my EDC is pretty lite-weight since I am within 20 feet of my truck most of the time and either in my store or my house (all within a mile of each other) So I don't EDC for the end of the world.

Any suggestions to add? I plan to take a regular suitcase with typical stuff, should my camera go in my carry-on? How about the new binoculars? I was told don't put anything expensive in your luggage.

Last edited by MrEarp, Jul 26, 2016
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'm not disagreeing with this statement. I'm just curious about WHOM gave you the advice.

3. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

Friends who have more travel experience then I do lol. I also see this as a reoccurring theme in a lot of TSA friendly EDC thread's I've been reading.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Have they experienced loss of items? NONE of those that I know has ever had any such experiences. What does "do lol" mean in your first sentence?

Edit: My daughter just walked past as I typed the above response and told me what it stands for. She says it is ordinarily in capital letters: LOL. I mistook your word-acronym paring as something else in another language.

Last edited by 0dBm, Jul 26, 2016
  5. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I carry an empty water bottle with me all the time. I would add some ear plugs but a decent pair of earphones could provide the same noise reduction. I would also add a regular usb wall socket so you don't have to wear down your batteries and some airplanes have an outlet under the seat. I always feel more comfortable packing my expensive gear in my carry-on rather than in my check-in luggage.

trfkcop and MrEarp like this.
  6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Empty water bottles are the only type water bottles the TSA will allow. I have no issues with binoculars and this item is not on the prohibited list.

I have been asked by the TSA why I have 2 cell phones which isn't prohibited but to the TSA it is "suspicios" aka drug runner.

oedipus1978 likes this.
  7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

/\ I carry two cellphones and been TSA screened 40 times in the last year and hundreds of times in the last decade.
    Never once was I told I look suspicious.

I did have issues with a screener not understanding what a satellite phone was. Watching this slow boat try to inspect the sat phone reminded me of the IMac in Zoolander.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

BTT: looks like a good list, but I would leave the "tactical" pack at home and go with a more "gray" option. As stated, I would add a good water bottle (double insulated so it keeps ice cold all day) and the earplugs are a good idea too.

I've travelled extensively for work domestically and I have never lost a single item to TSA from my checked luggage, and I've gotten their love notes on many occasions. That being said I usually wrap my knives and multi tool in a plastic bag and put them in my toiletry bag.

9. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I'll address more of the EDC for when you are actually at WDW versus the flight part of your trip. A couple of suggestions:

1. Stay at an on-site location or not. We've done both. The last two years we stayed off-site at a condo: it was cheaper and only about 25 minutes to the WDW gate. Major factor: pick someplace that has pools so you can cool off.

2. Go first thing, when the park opens: lines are minimal. Stay as long as you can, stamina permitting. We usually fade by about 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. Then, go back to your hotel. Cool off. Have lunch. Go to the pool. Take a nap. Then go back to WDW after you've had a dinner snack. Crowds are gone and it's cooler, too. Maybe you can even stay late for the fireworks.

3. Bring lanyards for the FastPass system: everyone laughed when I brought them out, but after a few rounds of rooting through their bags for the passes everyone used them. And, yes, the lanyards we use are 'break-away.'

4. For water: Remember, it is crazy hot in the Summer in Florida. So, just ask for ice water at one of the food vendors. To mask the off-taste we use Minute Maid Drops flavoring. It comes in an easy-to-use little bottle. My personal favorite is the Lemonade.

5. Knife: I just bring a Vic Classic: mostly I use it for cutting the tags off of purchases. Carry it in my pocket. Never had an issue.

6. Comfortable shoes: You'll be on your feet, walking for hours. So, comfortable shoes are crucial. Being an old infantryman I even bring a change of socks, but that's just me. However, take heed of an old infantry saying: "You take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you." This is Gospel.

7. Dealing with the heat: First, we use big, soft hats and we wear lightweight clothing. My personal preference for hats is a desert tan boonie hat that I've Scotch Guarded. Next, hydrate before you get thirsty. The infantry saying (ah, again with the lessons of youth) is "A clean weapon is a happy weapon." No, wait, that's the wrong infantry saying. Here you go: "Stay wet, stay well." And, use available shade. OK, the modern term for shade is a "cool micro-climate". Whatever. Instead of standing in the sun, walk a few steps to some shade. Use bandanas for neck protection if needed (yes, you'll look silly, but not as silly as the poor guy wearing that Goofy costume. With him around no one will notice or care what you're wearing). Also, the bandanas come in handy for wiping spills, etc. Also, bring and use an SPF 30 sunscreen lotion. Reapply as needed.

8. First aid: For big stuff WDW has it's own Fire/EMS agency, the Reedy Creek Fire Department. If there's a major trauma or medical emergency they can get there really quickly, since they use the underground tunnels. They also have some of their EMS folks pre-distributed throughout the park at sites that computer-modeling and prior data indicate as areas they'll be needed. For small stuff I have an equally small FAK with bandaids, moleskin (for blisters), aspirin, and Purell wipes.

9. Rain protection: Either bring those disposable ponchos (average cost $1.00 each) or bring trash bags with the holes for head and arms pre-cut (or you can use that SAK I suggested in Item #5, above, to cut the holes/slits). We use the white plastic kitchen bags for the kiddies and the large green trash bags for the adults. I also always bring an assortment of ZipLocks (sizes: snack, sandwich, quart, and gallon). Had to use them many times. Work just great for partially finished snacks!

10. Money: As already noted, bring money and lots of it. You'll also reduce your costs by bringing some snacks and water bottles with you.

11. Backup plans: Even though there will just be the two of you, agree in advance on a meet up site in case you get separated. Believe me, having this designated will help out with finding each other if the enormous crowds separate you two.

12. Carrying stuff: I've found that the Maxpud Fatboy works for me. One of my sons uses a fanny pack with two water bottles; while another prefers a Camelbak. You're going to either need some on-person carrying capacity or to use one of the strollers. We prefer to just hump our stuff.

13. Beyond all of the suggestions, our collective sage advice, lessons learned, and so on, just go and have fun!

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jul 27, 2016
    ripjack13, bpa, maliboo74 and 6 others like this.
  10. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

When I go to Disneyland I use my Mountain Hardware backpack with a water bladder. In it I carry a FAK, some snacks (I like the individual trail mix bags from Costco) and rain jackets. I have a flashlight and SAK in my pocket. I've read about people having their bags thoroughly searched and being questioned about their knives and first aid kits. But it seems like they are generally carrying tactical bags. I've never had a problem and even when my backpack is filled to the brim, they only give it a glance.

Chad

Gary Gross likes this.
  11. BigJerm

BigJerm Empty Pockets

Good list. The FAK could probably be left in the hotel. As another said there are lots of first aid around the park. As far as flying I always carry some kind of "tool", just no blade. This guy did a simple article on what u can do with TSA.
    http://cool:censored:guysneed.com/2016/07/what-can-you-carry-on-an-airplane/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I know a knife maker who lost about $50,000 in knives, due to the TSA thieves. I wouldn't put anything expensive in your luggage either. I know plenty of people that have been ripped off by those TSA thieves.

garza likes this.
  13. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

First and foremost, I'm Jealous! THE WIFE AND I LOVE DISNEY, we even went to WDW on our honeymoon.

Few MUST haves in my opinion, some already mentioned:
    *Moleskin
    *Water bottle(s) (any quick serve restaurant with fountain drinks will gIve you free cups of ice water, don't be shy you can ask for more than one)
    *A backup phone battery
    *Download the WDW app on you phone, super important if you have Fastpass+ (this is why you need the backup battery).
    *Hand sanitizer (sooooo many nastiest)

I carried a 5.11 COVRT ZAP 6. It was perfect for me and the wife (no kid junk to carry). It was comfortable, lightweight, fit in seat back pocket on rides (Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was one I remember for sure) and while waiting in line I could swing it in front to avoid bumping people and sticky fingers (I literally mean sticky kid fingers).

Feel free to look around at the thread I made about this a while ago and ask me any Disney questions.
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/disney-world-edc-help.125308/page-2#post-2297411

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  14. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Strongly second Cobra 6 Actual's recommendations, especially the "comfortable shoes" point! Would suggest a Vic Rambler instead of a Classic (that Phillips and bottle opener come in handy!) and some OTC meds (painkillers, Imodium, allergy pills, etc).

15. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Great tips in this thread.

On a side note, after reading the link to the previous Disney thread, I find it interesting that a couple of people actually would risk bringing a firearm into the park. Two members claimed just that and actually posted about it. I just don't understand that logic.

16. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Alligators are in every body of water in Florida.
    Do not feed them.
    Know that they are there.
    Be especially careful after dark.

The average temp in Central Florida in August is 95F with a feels like temp of 105 to 115F with extremely high humidity.

17. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I would rather take good old fashioned :censored: beating than go to WDW again.. last trip was 1976 with young kids.

baccar-3 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  18. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I favor a thin lightweight wind and water resistant jacket over a poncho. Easier to put on in crowds and useful at night especially when standing in lines or waiting for parades/shows not to mention if you don/t want to get too wet on water rides. Along with the lanyard Cobra6 Actual suggests, get a waterproof id pouch to put your pass in. I also like a boonie type hat for sun and rain protection. I always take an empty water bottle thru TSA and fill them from water fountains. You can get water bottles that have replaceable filters built in to deal with taste issues, especially at airports. Final thought, look into Disney's Photo Pass, i think its about $130. Disney has photographers stationed at various locations who will take photos of the both of you and it also includes most of the ride photos. you can also upload all your photos as well and can get a disk with all the pictures sent to your home.

19. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

If you are staying on WDW property, they will send you a "Magicband" for everyone in your party. With that you can get in the parks, buy stuff at any cash register on property, get into your room, use dining credits, get your photos from the aforementioned Photopass (yes, it's worth it!) and access your Fastpass.

trfkcop likes this.
  20. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I've been many times and have stayed on property many times. I cannot recommend sufficiently how great it is to go there around Christmas, but I've been there in summer time as well.

First, reduce the amount of crap you feel compelled to carry around WDW as an EDC guy. If you're going to be there after dark, which I recommend, then obviously have a flashlight. A method to recharge your phone -both portable battery and charging cable - will be great. A refillable water bottle such as a Nalgene is great to have although I've never carried more than about 300mL at a time. Make sure you have your magic band, annual pass, Tables in Wonderland card, Chase DIsney card, and whatever other Disney credentials you may have/need/want. A small bag to contain the aforementioned items with perhaps a Bandaid, blister tape if you're so inclined to need it, hand sanitizer, sunglasses, and generic pain relief, e.g. ibuprofen, will be great luxury items. As far as tools go, I've never carried much more than a Leatherman style PS.

I'm not a camera guy, but a spare memory card and battery might be in order.

Have great shoes and even better socks.

A small packable umbrella and/or disposable poncho might come in handy. It will rain.

It will be exceedingly humid. If you're of large girth you might find Body Glide helpful. My wife did when we went during her pregnancy.

Use Disney transportation.

Download the phone app, make reservatios for all of your fine meals, and plan your Fast Pass experiences accordingly. You cannot merely walk into WDW and accomplish a whole lot.

PhotoPass is great. We've only had one crappy pic from them even though none of them are really great photographers. Skip the roving surveys. They say they're short. I once agreed to one that ended up taking around 15 minutes.

Use the on site service to carry transport large or bulky souvenirs back to your resort. Buy Disney pins. They're really high quality despite Chinese in origin. We have shadow boxes at home with them mounted.

What resort are you staying at? If you're staying club level definitely eat the free hors d'oeuvres. The arcades can be cool for even adults. Hair cuts and salon visits are at a disproportionate premium (even for Disney). Some of the resorts have really great pools. Yacht and Beach Club have the best, one pool has a sandy bottom, a fun water slide off the ship, and a lazy river.

If you eat at the Mexican pavillion at Epcot, you want to eat at San Angel Inn and not La Hacienda de San Angel. The catina is the outdoor, Inn is in the Aztec pyramid, and la Hacienda was the worst food I've had at Disney, and I've probably consumed over 500,000 calories of Disney cuisine over the course of my visits, lol.

Disney Tourist Blog by Tom Bricker and Disney Food Blog are great. It may still be International Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. Imbibe in the eats. It's a blast.

Djs105 likes this.