1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going from wool to alpaca

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Omega Man, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I've been on a real hot streak with finding wool sweaters and silk shirts at Goodwill lately. But after a visit to a local alpaca farm, and reading up on how much better alpaca is than wool, I'm changing alliances. I managed to find an alpaca sweater at GW but it's itchier than sin, almost as bad as mohair(which was like needles on my skin, it went right through my shirt!). The local farm had a shop and I'm now getting a very nice beanie for xmas that I'm hoping will outdo my wool 80%/acrylic 20% watchcap/beanie. I've also got a alpaca scarf coming to replace my acrylic.
    It's very expensive stuff, but sounds totally worth it. Maybe beat out my Under Armor Cold Gear this season.
    Any thoughts on those cute buggers??

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you have an itchy sweater made from wool you can moisten it a bit and pop it in the freezer to make it more comfortable (let it thaw carefully not to break it)... I dont know if that would work with alpaca tho.

3. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

i'll take alpaca over wool any day. twice the warmth at one third the bulk (for the same knit gauge of course) of wool.

the wife is a prodigious knitter and we use "Eucalan" (brand name) wash to soften stuff. quick soak in the sink, squeeze, wrap in a towel and press most of the water out then air dry.

there are good online deals for alpaca. a lowest price Froogle search has been very useful. just be sure the site lists any "other" fabric content.

i tried the UnderArmor stuff, but it feels like wearing plastic wrap. guess i'm just a natural fiber kind of guy.