1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going back to Zippo

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by mightywombat, Feb 9, 2012.

1. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

It might help to prolong a bit fuel's life but the real problem is the lid. That's the part that should be sealed, just like a peanut lighter.

2. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

which brand of inserts are you guys getting for the zippos? I have 3 or 4 zippos and no longer carry them around for the same reason - fuel dries out.

3. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

I use KGM Vector Butane Standard Flip Top.You can find 'em on EBay for about $12

4. Condition1

Condition1 Loaded Pockets

i have been considering going back to my zippo as well. i have been looking into the thunderbird insert. from what i have read, you have to use three times filtered butane with the inserts.

i have been using BICs in the meantime, and they are not particularly good looking. i admit that if i go back, it is for aesthetic reasons.

5. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

i like it!

This is a great idea.... keep us posted how it works for you. I'll have to give it a try myself.

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I just got a Thunderbird insert in the mail.

[​IMG]
    Pocket Dump 2 by Pseudonym001, on Flickr

I like it so far, but I can't comment on longevity or anything yet.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dad to the rescue!

And it'll stay lit when you have to throw it in the gasolene that has leaked from a terroist fueltank after a you've run out of ammo. Just remember to count your shots and use the last one on the fuel tank;)

I'm gonna aget one of these! Fuel evaporation is the reason I don't carry it anymore(I have 2).

I'm suprised no one mentioned the iconic smell! A butane insert can't give you that.

Thanks for the thread!

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

An update on the insert I got: it doesn't always light on the first try (in fact I often need at least 2 to get it lit), but it's definitely more windproof than a Bic and it fits in the Zippo case very snugly.

9. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

The pivoting lid of a Zippo could be sealed with duct tape or with a cut piece of bicycle inner tube, to prevent vaporized fuel leakage. If the Zippo is carried just for emergency use, the duct tape is not a big hindrance. But I am not shure how long these methods will work. I think that the duct tape works longest.

A peanut lighter is lighter than a Zippo and does not leak vaporized fuel. It will not break in an accident and is resistant to water pressure.

Last edited by Dan2, Jun 7, 2012
  10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I'd gotten a slim Zippo years ago and after a while got tired of the evaporation. I've since switched to using the cheap little butane Ronson ones for longevity purposes, but still love using the Zippo at home where I can refill as needed.

11. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

The advantage of the Zippo is that in an emergency you can probably use petrol from a car. But I am not fully shure about that.

12. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Zippo + Thunderbird Insert = not running out of fuel or need refilling in the 6 months I've had it.

13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

+1
    I got a new zippo last month and a Thunderbird pipe lighter insert, it not only can't evap. from it, but with only a half filling or less, I used it 2 or 3 times a day for about 3 weeks before it ran out... Thing holds a LOT!

Nice too, about the Thunderbirds, they come with a regular flame, not a jet/torch flame, so it still looks like a regular zippo when lit, and still lights with a flint wheel, so you still don't have to hold a button down to have continuous flame.

G.

Pseudonym likes this.