1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Going back to Zippo

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by mightywombat, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I haven't carried a Zippo lighter in several years, mostly since I stopped smoking in 2006. Carrying a Zippo at that point was sort of overkill, since I wasn't using it every day and it was still evaporating fuel. I couldn't count on myself to remember to refill it periodically, and thus it never worked when I needed it to. I went to carrying a regular Bic, and then to a mini-Bic in a metal case with a spring loaded top very much like a Zippo. That way I still had a lighter I could play with if I needed to fidget with something and also always had fire when I needed it. The metal case for the Bic also kept its trigger from getting pressed and discharging all its gas in my pocket.

Recently I have been sorting through a bunch of my old crap and I found my old Zippo. I put it aside and kept using my Bic in its case. Today, however, I watched an episode of How It's Made and saw their piece on Zippo lighters. That got my interest rekindled in carrying one again, so I got my lighter, refueled it, and tried to light it. Nothing. Investigation revealed that there was no wick. *facepalm* No problem, though, since I also found a replacement wick when I was cleaning up my crap. Used my EDC blade and my multitool to replace the wick and re-refueled it. ET VOILA. Let there be fire!

I'll try to remember to let you guys know if I decide to stick with the Zippo or go back to my old Bic in its case again.

2. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

My experience parallels yours, including the quitting smoking part. Since I don't use a lighter daily -- or sometimes even weekly -- the evaporating fuel thing is just an exercise in futility. I sort of wish I had a justification to carry my Zippo because it is way more elegant than any disposable butane lighter. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

3. mightywombat

I'm considering getting a butane inset to go in mine, but we shall see what happens. EXCITING!

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I got the butane inserts for my zippos and love them.

5. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I carried a Zippo for years when I smoked. Have kept them in my drawer up until not long ago. However, lately I keep one fueled up with my EDC dump, but only use it around the house. I love to use them but can't justify carrying it all the time. I keep mini bic lighters literally everywhere!

6. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

I actually bought my first Zippo today. I don't smoke, but I do use paracord and such. I mostly use a butane jet lighter for that, but it's tricky to refill and doesn't really light well.

Since I love gadgets and mechanical stuff, I decided I might as well try a Zippo. So I ordered a matte orange one and some extra fluid, flints & wick (Better to have the parts when needed then wait for them to ship when they run out...)

Hope to have it by tuesday.

7. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

For a BOB, take an old empty Visine eyedropper bottle, or tiny travel mouthwash size bottle and put some lighter fuel / naphtha / mineral spirits in it. LABEL IT!
    It is a good thing to have on hand -- if your Zippo is dry you can fuel it up any time.

Another thing I'm trying out is a tip of generously spreading petrolium jelly around the insert of the Zippo to slow down fuel evaporation.

Someone on EDCF told me a great trick for the Bic disposable to prevent them from losing gas from being turned on accidentally, put a zip tie around the base of the lever.

8. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

I recently went back to using zippo's myself after using and losing a multitude of butane lighters. Being a smoker its used often and I find zippos a lot harder to lose than anything else.

9. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have never smoked. I had a Zippo that was quite nice. But it NEVER had fuel when I wanted fire!

I have a non pocketable jet lighter I use for Paracord.

But I have been searching for the elusive Ronson flip top jet lighter so I can carry fire with me!

10. bugsy714

bugsy714 Empty Pockets

I hated the zippo smell and constant refueling but switching to a peanut lighter has been really great, the oring keeps the fuel from evaporating and it rides on a keychain nicely

11. mightywombat

So, a little Zippo update. I went to a birthday party for a seven year old this past weekend held at a lovely local park. It was... windy to say the least. When it came time to light the candles on the cake (well, candle - one shaped like a seven, and, well, the cake were donuts - it was a donut-themed party) all they had to do the job was a pack or paper matches. FAIL. Zippo to the rescue!

12. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Something about Zippo's (even though I don't smoke), I just enjoy carrying and flipping open and closed. Handy to have a lighter but there is just that nostalgia to them that I cannot resist!

13. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Everytime I hear the sound of a zippo opening, I look around to see if it is my dad. That sound just reminds me of him.

14. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

That's fine, but if you want to get fancy about it: Zippo Fuel Container.

...or, as has been suggested here, use a section of bicycle tire inner tube around the case to seal it up. Roll it down to use.

I've done this, but what I found to be more convenient is some twist ties from the produce section of the grocery store. Just untwist them to use the lighter rather than having to cut away the cable tie (they can be tough to cut).

15. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

How come they don't do a version with some kind of rubber gasket? That would become THE lighter to own, smoker or not... Since I quite smoking, my 20+ zippos are sitting, unused and I wish I could have one in my EDC setup but it's always dry when you need it.

16. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

just started carrying my zippo today again. This was after I purchased a thunderbird insert for it. Now I am happy...but I will test it out and see how it goes. Plus the 4" flame is kind of cool!!

17. mightywombat

One of the other nice things about the ZIppo, besides the fidget-fingers benefits, is that it doesn't require the constant use of one hand in order to keep it lit.

18. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have one of these. Holds about enough for a single refill. It is well sealed so the fuel does not evaporate.

19. ZippoVarga

ZippoVarga Loaded Pockets

What's a Zippo? j/k lol....Having owned, collected and sold Zippos for right at 30 years, there is always one at the ready here. The butane inserts are a great idea and work quite well. The Zippo Blu isn't one of my favorites, as it goes through the butane WAY too fast. So if you're going to carry and like the jet flame a butane provides, get the insert. You still get the trademark click with the versatility of the butane.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy the reunion with your Zippo!!!

20. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

On going experiment. Took some flowable silicon (the stuff used for windows), dumped a little in the bottom of my zippo housing and let it set. Seeing if it will act as a seal and prolong the life of the fluid.