1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Goals

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

SURVIVALIST : PREPARE FOR 'THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT' TEOTWAWKI ... EDC : PREpare for everyday NEEDS Me...Everything in between

2. HybridMomentsPass

New to the forum, reading through a bunch of threads and saw this name - I read Dies The Fire about 2 months ago, loved it (well I hated the parts that didnt include the bear killers etc). Havent read anymore of the authors books yet. Yet.

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I think there is no effort on the part of manufacturers of equipment to think about how different pieces of gear or tools might integrate with each other. Everything is marketed based on perceived or real demand, with no consideration of the big picture for the user. That's because the manufacturers are not designing systems but marketing single products.

Everyone is also different. What works for me won't work for you. I like things that are small, light, and easy to carry. Other folks want to be very prepared for any eventuality, and have a lot of redundancy. I have also found that even for my own limited use of EDC items, it takes a lot of trial and error.

I have also been carrying some things for a long time and don't want to give them up. That must limit some options.

I wonder how many of us buy things after thinking deeply about how it would integrate with the other things we have, whether it would help meet our EDC goals, and so on? I don't do a lot of that myself. I just try to fit the new item in after I receive it.

Another problem is that when you buy over the Web rather than handling something before you buy it, you may get something that has problems you didn't consider.

Some people try to plan out every aspect of their lives. I suspect they do well in the EDC area. Unfortunately I am not like that. I do some planning (not enough) but mostly try to creatively wing it, adapt and improvise.

I carry that style over to my EDC items.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking a little bit about my EDC system (thanks to Mister Scribble!), and most of it is redundant to some degree. I carry my basic EDC (Level 1, if we want to look at it that way) on my body, and I have a bag EDC (Level 2), but for the most part, the bag can easily cover and even exceed the capabilities I have on my person. However, I'm much more likely to go to my Level 1 tools than to my Level 2 tools. For example, I have a Leatherman Juice (Level 1) and Leatherman Wave (Level 2) and even though the Wave is a more capable multitool, I use the Juice much more often, even when both are available. The same could go for my knives, "survival" tools, first aid, flashlights, the list goes on. I've got my Level 1 EDC pretty well set to suit my needs, but one of the few problems with it is that it's not a "grab and go" system, which is why I have all of those capabilities duplicated in my bag, in case I'm in a hurry, don't have pockets, or just forget to grab something before I go out the door.

I suppose one of my main goals of EDC'ing is to never be in a situation where I need something and don't have it. I've always been the sort of person that would rather have it and not need it, and I gain comfort from the things I carry. Even when I was younger, I wouldn't go anywhere without a book to read. A book and my baseball cap were probably my first EDC'd items, and even if I never read a page of that book on any certain day, I felt better for having it. To be honest, I rarely have a need for my EDC, I could make it through a day with very few things on me, but when they do come in handy it's such a validation of my EDC that it's entirely worth it.

There's also a certain element of "keeping up with the Joneses" to my buying habits, but this is turning into a novel so I'll just leave it at that. ;D

BravoGrrrl likes this.
  5. VestPocket

VestPocket Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean. I would love to have a really good pocket system but not there yet... Our modern possibles can vary wildly depending on situation. The Mountain mans life was a bit more consistent. The bag is pretty much a given for many. I think the tier approach is the answer, not mixing the possibles with the survival kit. The saga continues :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

if you need it today, put it in your pocket. there's your edc 'system'. great mystery solved. now, on to ufo's and missing airplanes.

BravoGrrrl likes this.
  7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I certainly think that everyone should setup their EDC as they see fit. However, I have found through my life that thinking of only "today" (no matter whether it's EDC, food, life decisions, finances, etc..) leaves me short handed most of the time and is very inefficient. When I setup my EDC I think of yesterday (what lessons I learned), I think of today (what are my current needs), and I think of tomorrow (what scenarios can I realistically imagine that I should have an EDC item for). With this mindset I have never found myself wanting unless I left an EDC item at home. Then again, that level of preparedness is probably the years as a Boy Scout bleeding through..

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. VestPocket

For a long time I just threw everything in a backpack which was usually overkill. The bag finally wore out and the current replacement has been to choose a small waist pouch that works as a "grab and go bag" for what I know I need plus a few possibles. Something wearable frees up the pockets and you can leave the backpack in the vehicle. Still testing. The greater the challenge the easier it is to define an edc system because you know more accurately what you're needs are. If you are trying to be prepared for a a thousand possible scenarios you would need a truck to carry it all. I might need "that", "someday" is a trap. My idea of essentials: Knife, scissors, nail clippers, Pen & Paper, Flashlight, small multi-tool, very basic first aid, wallet, comb, watch, phone, usual stuff. - Possibles small screwdriver (job specific), safety pin/repairs. I wouldn't discourage anyone from their own approach; what works for you is what works.

9. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

While having tools that do not overlap would save weight and bulk, I believe it would limit a persons choice in terms of a multitool for example. If you and me were to carry the same tool, you could find it lacks certain tools like maybe a can opener, where I may find it lacks certain screwdriver. We were both then need to carry another tool with these functions/tools which then means to run the risk of overlap in our EDC or carrying bulk/weight that is not needed as we are carrying the exact tools only to find we only really need the one tool from it.

I may like the look of the tool where you hate it, so you would need another tool which then leads to more overlap risk etc.

10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I must be slick like the weasel then because every EDC item "that" I thought I might need "someday" has gotten used. :ninja:

I think that people can certainly overdo things, but it again boils down to the fact that no single plan works for everyone right? What you feel is "a trap" may very well be an acceptable (or minimum) level of preparedness for someone else. Thank God we are all different as diversity is a wonderful thing. ;)

11. VestPocket

apparently I'm not very good at snipping quotes. :oops:

12. werrol

werrol Loaded Pockets

13. werrol

werrol Loaded Pockets

Fantastic encouragement.

14. Tacamo VQ-3

Tacamo VQ-3 Loaded Pockets

I am a recent member of this forum but long time EDC guy. I greatly appreciate associating with folks "like me". Non EDCers don't get it. For me I have tweeted my EDC both for work and off work to the point where I am fairly satisfied. However, it is all about the hunt, the search for new and better gear, conceiving new ways to carry, modifying gear and on and on it goes. I have spent countless hours thinking about how to fit more gear in to the same pouch, how to make a new sheath, etc. I know I can't carry enough stuff to be prepared for every situation but I get great enjoyment out of trying to be prepared for what I can. I greatly enjoy this community of like minded folk. More gear---less space!

thePlumbah likes this.