1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Goals

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

I'm glad you started this forum. I hope to be here a long time, thank you.

2. P97DC

P97DC Empty Pockets

Thanks Moderators for doing a great job! This is my favorite Forum. Theres something here for everyone. :)

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I to enjoyed your ramblings. I also like your vision for this site!! I really like it here! It speaks to ME and my goals for MY EDC. Thanks you!!

4. jeffm

jeffm Empty Pockets

I'm a very practical kind of guy. I love that this forum encompasses items for use in the real world. Although many here may be collectors and carry kit that costs thousands of dollars, the point is to carry and use these items, not just sit them in a case and admire them.

Thanks JSB.

-Jeff

5. Jvalera

Jvalera Empty Pockets

Oh come on, We just love great stuff an love to show it ;)

6. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

I use all my gear, I just rotate different setups. Do I need all my stuff? Nah, just really enjoy it! ;D

GG

7. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I found the CPF about a year ago and thought "thats pretty cool" but didn't hang out.
    I never really thought about it. i refound it the other day and it hit me 'these people are like me"
    then i found EDC and i thought "I am Home". i still can't beleive this forum exists.
    i can't beleive there are people who think so much like me and some are so brave as to express it.
    I'm not very expressive but i could learn to be here. I am constantly trying to find the perfect tools or combination of tools
    to be best prepared for any situation. not nessesarily an emergency. Maybe i just need a pen or a light.
    I get frustrated when i dont have one when they're so small, light and cheap.

I try to organize into categories. on person 'go light', on person "go loaded', in car and at home.
    Lately i have been thinking while i am brain storming about products to find or design, i should search for the best clothing.
    i think how you carry your stuff is as important as what you carry.

I hope to add much to this forum an become an intregal part of this "community'.
    I hope to help perfect or help define the EDC ideal.

I would like to see a thread for best large multi tool, best small multi tool, best full size folding knife, best small folding knife, best key chain light, best pocket ight, best EDC'able light. then take the top pcks and turn them into polls to come up with some clear winners. Of course we will not all agree, but i'd like to see what the 'group" thinks is the best.
    and blah blah Blah more later

8. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

I think this is something that will never quite happen. I think even if one person perfects EDC for themself, then something is wrong. It's like that saying married people use sometimes, "When you stop looking, you're dead." When you stop evaluating your EDC...well IMHO, it's almost anti-EDC to stop evaluating and revising EDC. I'm not saying that the multi-tool that's been on your hip every day for the past ten years needs to go when a new model comes out. But it's worth looking at and saying, "Is there something with this new tool that my current one is incapable of, or does poorly, that I believe this new tool will do better?"

I've started carrying something or other because I thought I'd use it a lot. Maybe after a few days, or a few weeks I decide, "This just isn't something I'm using" so I'll either stop carrying it, or carry it in a bag instead of on body. I think EDC choices are based on what each of us is most likely to encounter on a frequent basis that we want to be prepared to handle. For example, I try to have some sort of wet wipes (usually antibacterial) in my EDC bag and in both cars. The simple reason is that I have small children, and the wipes find a lot of uses. I also learned recently that when one is driving long distances, and eating a Subway sandwich with a lot of sauce on it, it is very helpful to have some quick way to clean up. For someone with no children or grown children, wet wipes might be less of a priority. And this idea did not occur to me right away. Since I started stashing the wipes, I've changed the types of packages I store where. The bigger pop up dispenser is okay in the car, when space is not an issue. In the diaper bag, the flat pack works best. In my wife's purse or my EDC bag, the individually wrapped ones are the choice. I'm still trying to figure out better or easier ways to cover that need. Maybe I'll figure out my "perfect" combination for this, and maybe I won't. But I think that in some ways, the process is more important that the end result. Of course the end result, that is that we are prepared to take care of our most likely daily needs, is important too. But the process of analyzing and evaluating our EDC choices keeps us in the mindset of trying to prepare for conceivable needs, predict probable needs and plan for those contingencies. That frame of mind gives people like us a great advantage in crisis or survival situations.

Now I took this quote out of context, and it might sound like I'm tearing apart the poster's ideas, and that is not my intention. My idea of "perfect EDC" is not going to be anyone else's idea of "perfect EDC". But the whole point of a forum, of a community like this is to share ideas and experiences and thereby each of us may find something we'd like to change in how or what we carry. This makes each of us stronger and better prepared to affect change in those around us.

So here's to never finding perfection.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Part of the fun that I find in discussing EDC is to gain knowlledge about the as-close-to-perfect EDC setup as I can find knowing that what might be perfect for one day WILL be different from the previous day as well as the next day.

10. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

Sounds like a plan to me O0 :highfive:

11. ToolFool

ToolFool Empty Pockets

Jon, it makes a heck of a lot more than a tiny bit of sense! Your vision for this forum is awesome and "this road" that we are all on has already and continues to take us to some truly exciting places.

12. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Great stuff. I would submit that the hunt is half the fun! ;)

13. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

With my history of being a conspiracy theory enthusiast, when I started preparedness and edc type behaivor, my wife rolled her eyes a lot and said repeatedly that she thought I was paranoid.

The one month plus supply of drinking water that I keep in the basement, and buying plans to make a rack dispenser for canned food got more of the same comments.

Now she is starting to accept that I'm doing what I think is best for our family...to make us as self sufficient as possible in an emergency/disaster situation.

She's also learning that she is benefitting from my EDC too. Like the time that she ran into an old boyfriend that she hadn't seen in 15 years and wanted to get his contact info...she used my Rite in the Rain notebook and Fisher Space Pen (for the record, he has come out of the closet since they dated, so I had no reservations about them being friendly ;))

And she's realizing that EDC and preparedness projects are as much of a hobby as a way of life for me. She scrapbooks, I refine my EDC and test out new items (and obsessively revise my want lists!).

So she's living and letting live, and my passion for EDC (and prep) blossoms!

Dedrich likes this.
  14. jeffm

jeffm Empty Pockets

Okay. If I had the money I would too. ;)

15. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Empty Pockets

WORD. I know when i un-loaded my "voodoo bag" for the pic on the "Show us your EDC stuff"
    http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=2545.0
    I did say to myself, "this is a "city boy" EDC setup", not snake bite kit, water tablet's etc.

So i can see how how we live life, will impact our carry all. I am astute enough
    to have a old fashioned gym bag with:

(edited for time) MRE's, a scanner, two 12 mile motorola walk and talks, spare cell with spare batt's and solar recharger, moisture proof match's, paracord, flare's, small varmet snare, and really cool, ingenious silver/pewter colored survival tent that again my nephew got me (not sure this time if it's G.I. issue) but it's is a kinda cocoon, but domes a little so you can move end to end. Has four square'ish sticks that must be chemical, two for heat two cooling, bend them and shake and insert in pocket's on the side. Comes with one of those silver survival blanket's, and will fold down enough to fit in the gym bag.(anyone have any knowledge of these type of tent's? I don't camp, and know little about high end camp gear). Amazing too, the gym bag is one of those old round ones from the 70's (i'm old) L-21", w 11" , W 10" deep) I admit it's stuffed full.

I kinda thought of it for like a 9-11/Katrina type situation. (ok didn't do to well on editing myself!)

Anywoo I thought closer was spot on. Every individual is different, and has different need's for EDC stuff. I am really learning a lot here ! VDG

16. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great post, Jon!
    I agree with you that *too* much redundancy is a liability, but not enough redundancy can be equally troublesome. I, too, am glad this forum is available for us to share information (as I'm sure we ALL are!). With this many heads together, I'm sure we'll come up with all kinds of new ideas for gear and clothing. I just hope that our EDC subculture can one day re-educate the rest of the opposable-thumb-having apes and get them back into carrying and using tools as nature intended! Maybe then people will be able to forget that tired phrase: "Hey, you got a knife I could borrow?" :knuppel2:

17. peacefuljeffrey

I think all of the crucial problems will be solved once Peter puts a compass and a small digital clock into the Prybaby. ;D

-Jeffrey

18. Ultra

Ultra Banned

This forum is great :)

Speaking of redundancy, it seems 90% of EDC'ers have 20 folding knives, I don't know why, there aren't even that many blade shapes that have different purposes, unless it's looking cool that is the purpose. :rolleyes:

There are a LOT of tools more necessary than knife and multitool redundancy. Carry the biggest and most specialized items you can, and sow a tiny EES version of each item into your clothes or put them in a small tin, is my opinion... just in case you lose the big tool, or get it taken away and have to do some EES... (I never got why it's now called SERE, when did that change happen? Nobody should resist while escaping, they just risk getting caught again, and their main priority when unable to fight, is to conserve the weapon they ARE, and get kitted again and go do their job properly again. I guess it sounds more "heroic". But it sure can't be done with anything found in a 2"x2" tin...)

Placement of gear should be done where it is easiest. I am right handed, and the way it goes, is folding knife goes in right side tiny pocket on my pants, gun goes vertically under left arm, reloads under right arm, radiation detector clips to right belt loop where it SHOULD be to get an essential reading due to your organs being closest to the ground and most important to protect, and all the other stuff that doesn't have to be anywhere special, just goes wherever you have space.
    I have seen a lot of strange suggestions for carrying weapons on other forums, including right-handed shooters with weapon under RIGHT arm, knife under LEFT ARM, or knife, keys and loose change down same pocket as gun, or gun inside pants, well below belt height, or carrying four lightly assorted .32, .17, .22 and .25 pistols instead of one 9mm, etc. I tend to contribute these "tips" to saboteurs... :shrug:

People seem to be very non.critical to what they carry and why, also. Like, what do you use four multitools and 20 hex bits for? I can think of nothing presently that I should carry a screwdriver for, that I don't have a tool for in my car or in my home. The only thing I can think of, is for adjusting a certain weapon or a sight on that weapon, none of which I carry at this point in time. Or for sunglasses, but I also don't carry sunglasses with screws anymore for a reason, namely practicality.

19. Tex8746

Tex8746 Loaded Pockets

My goal is to never find my self in a situation without the resources or means to overcome it, through EDC and training I feel UBER prepared, the balance is carrying what I need without needing a BOB all the time, for me this means A lot!!! of gear. After seeking more training and references I learned that I can carry minimalist equipment and adapt to the surroundings I have in order to survive/overcome the situation, this forum has also helped me quite a bit TY for creating it.

20. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

And now you can see this very thing happen with your own forum. You have created an amazing forum with lots of great people with great ideas.