1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Goals

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

First of all, I am hoping this will be a forum for all people that find them selves carrying alot of items alot of items and the problems it creates.

I am afraid that I might have trouble articulating my thoughts on this very well.

For as long as I can remember, I have carried a number of items. Many of the functions of these items would somewhat overlap like a vin diagram. I would at times think that I had too much redundancy in some areas and would be served better if there was less overlap and cover more needs or wants in my carry gear, other times I thought the redundancy was a good thing.

There were times that I found a multifunction device good to have, and other times I think I would have been better served by a more specialized device. A constant problem I have had is how and where to carry all of this stuff. A person can get recommendations from many specialized groups on where the best spot to carry a certain item is. Well, sometimes they all recommended to same spot so nothing was solved. I think it is almost as important to manage where and how you carry your items as what items you carry.

I spent what seems like half of the last five years in another forum that I truly love. From watching that forum, I saw things come into existence for the first time within the forum and slowly start to spill out into the rest of the world. I came to see that a forum can be a powerful thing in the creation process.

Ok, now on to my point in all of this rambling.

My hope is that a greater synergy between products can be found, less overlap where not needed more redundancy where it is needed, a person can only carry so much. I carry two multi-tools that have about 80% overlap so I find my self with to much weight bulk and redundancy. If I had two tools that would do the same jobs with no overlap, I would save a lot of bulk, weight and have the same utility, this would result in me being able to carry another item or traveling a little lighter. Some products have improved and the carry situation is better for something’s now, but now there are even more items to carry with the electronics revolution, things not dreamed of before now seem to be necessities. We need more clothing that is friendly for our different EDC needs without looking like a photojournalist or a member of a swat team, unless of course you are a photojournalist or swat team member.

I would like to see products cover all of the bases better and more efficiently while the means to carry all of these items improve at the same time. I would love to see some products change and some new products come into existence that has a better fit. One problem what will exist is that our needs are all different; I guess we will need to see a lot of different products.

I hope this makes a tiny bit of sense. Lets see where this road takes us.

2. Okie_Chick

Okie_Chick Loaded Pockets

I enjoy your rambling. . . ramble on.

3. PWork

PWork Empty Pockets

I know exactly what you mean. I have been adapting and refining my EDC load since I was 5 years old. My pockets have always been stuffed. The search has been interesting to say the least. :p

4. Peter Atwood

Peter Atwood Empty Pockets

Great stuff Jon! You definitely have a certain vision going and it is an interesting one. I think you are right on about how further refinements will occur if we can collectively focus our attention on it. By breaking the categories down as you have, it will hopefully provide some interaction and recombinations in ways that the other forums have not been able to achieve.

5. dakota

dakota Empty Pockets

I hear ya, :)

6. Larry S.

Larry S. Empty Pockets

Yea, verily!!! 8)

7. Makarov

Makarov Loaded Pockets

Since I got my first pocket knife at the age of 6(long lost :(), I've always carried more than just my keys in my pockets. CPF have been a great help on spending my $$ on lights, hopefully this forum will help me spend $$ on all the other stuff as well ;)

Good job Jon!

8. Bravo 25

Bravo 25 Empty Pockets

Good t o see you over here Makarov. We are working at finding plenty of places for you to put those extra dollars. Welcome, and stay awhile.

9. Colby

Colby Empty Pockets

Thanks for sharing your goals for the forum, I'm looking forward to being part of this forum.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Thanks for reading this part...

11. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Jon -

There is definately a science or art of refining and modifying daily EDC. I hope to learn 'why' people carry the things they do, and where to buy it!

muahhahahahahah

Great site man, I love it.

robert

12. gunsmith

gunsmith Empty Pockets

I really like the site, it's a great idea this will be a huge successfull forum.
    I had an EDC problem and I never even knew there was a name for it!
    I allways have at least a 3 inch crkt, a surefire and a pistol and often a lot more then
    that.
    Again, a great forum and Idea whose time has arrived.

13. denise

denise Empty Pockets

Thanks for the kind words guys. We appreciate all of your encouragement and support. If you ever have any comments or suggestions on how we can make this an even better place to call home, please let us know. We are having way too much fun with this site.  :D

14. The Closer

The Closer Loaded Pockets

The science for EDC is knowing the enviornment your going to be in on that particular day. At least that's how I decide what to carry. Enjoyed your post Jon!!! O0

15. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Like others on here, MY EDC is work in progress. I enjoy putting thought into what I "might" need & what I will need, and then looking at items which can be miniaturised, modded or will serve double-duty. Im also making it my mission to spread the EDC word to others, and my friend has recently had EDC added to his vocabularly. He was carrying a fairly cheap liner-lock, but his new girlfriend (a VERY anti-knife teacher) dropped it down a grid!!! Im afraid Id have dropped her soon after! :)
    Her reasoning was that knives get lost or stolen & then used by criminals against Police or Teachers!?!?!?! Mad as a bicycle!!
    I may get around to replacin his blade for him but Im reluctant while he's still dating this "knife-down-the-grid loony!"
    I havent met her yet, but she WONT be pleased when she sees my EDC kit.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  16. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

I am a very PRO-knife teacher. I EDC a fairly small one when I'm at school, but dropping someone's knife down a grid...to avoid possible future assaults?? ::)

EDC is a journey. If one stops refining their EDC, they may as well not EDC period. I have only been EDC for less than a year, and I'm already making changes to what and how I carry. I'm starting to wonder if most times I can get by with a smaller multitool. How can I get this or that more compact? It is an ongoing process.

17. Serigrapher83

Serigrapher83 Empty Pockets

I'm so over whelmed by all the cool stuff that's available. With the exception of my watch(TAG), phone(RazorV3c), and gun(s&w 5906), I feel the need to update and revamp most of my EDC items. Almost too many websites to visit and I want to see them all now...

18. POCKETS

POCKETS Empty Pockets

This forum is very nifty ( That has to date me somewhat ) It encompasses everything from soup to nuts rather than one particular type of gadget. Very cool...

19. hey_you

hey_you Empty Pockets

This is why women carry purses. :highfive:

20. DSYCUTTER

DSYCUTTER Banned

Great site!!! I am behind your goals 110 percent. I have always loved gadgets and toys so I always carried lots of things with me... through the years it has gotten easier to organize, but there are so many new things to consider carrying