1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gloves...

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Is there a particular brand of gloves you tend to prefer? I ask since because I've had it with cheap thin ones that don't hold up. I almost wish someone would flat pack them in single sterile packs for easier storage and use...

2. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I had a box of blue nitrile ones I bought from the orange home center and used them for all kinds of things, entirely unrelated to health care and they held up just fine. I ordered a box of Kimberly Clark from the big river site but I haven't used them yet. I think they were about $10 delivered. Sterile gloves are certainly available in a single "serving" flat pack, I think at most pharmacies and definitely online from the usual sources.

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I'm allergic to both latex and that powdery crap they put on gloves so i had to find some that didn't have any of that and were available in my size.... oh yeah and they had to be black cuz you gotta look good right? ;)

[​IMG]

Almost through my first box and when my stock runs out ill buy these exact some ones again because they are just perfect for my needs!

Do keep in mind these are not sterile but honestly when i have to work on wounds it will be outside so the sterility of these will probably be the least of the problem :frantic:

4. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I go through a lot and have pretty much settled for Harbor Freight 5mil Nitril gloves. They do split on me when I am doing jobs where I am not paying attention to my hands. Ive used about 10 boxes medically and had one split between my palm and wrist and a second on an index finger.

They make 7 and 9mil gloves, but they are usually too hard to get on fast to be worth the extra strength. Plus you lose too much touch sensitivity. I have a box of the 7mils and I have a few pair stashed in a couple of kits. However, it would be one nasty situation for me to take the time to sneeze them on.

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

St John Ambulance Nitriles. I buy a box of 100 from Amazon (extra large, one size up to make them easier to put on/take off) and then pack pairs in either little grip seal bags (for FAKs) or Kinder egg capsules (for bags or pockets).

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I use the 5 mil nitriles from Harbor Freight as well. I've never had them split on me, but then I haven't done anything crazy with them, just trash removal and basic first aid. I'm sure if you look around on the internet you could find somewhere with sterile pairs for sale, though they're usually more money that way. As suggested above, you can make your own baggies of them.

7. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

North American Rescue makes some very high quality gloves in varying thicknesses.
    --Ben

8. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

A few thoughts: sterile gloves are for medical procedures, not first aid. They are expensive, cumbersome and there's no reason to use them in a FAK.

Black gloves might make it harder to see blood on the gloves, important in backside examination of a patient. Not a big deal but if I have a choice between black and another color I will tend to choose the non-black for that reason.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

9. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

To preface, I have very little experience using gloves in first aid procedures. I'm a pharmacy intern and have given more than a few vaccines this year.

Stay away from latex and vinyl gloves. There's quite a few latex allergies. I hate vinyl gloves; they don't stretch much and I don't like the feel of them.

We've had a few different brands of nitrile gloves in the pharmacy, and my favorite has been Kimberly Clark. When I stocked my FAK, that's what went in it. They are fairly thick with a nice feel.

Water-Rat likes this.
  10. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I picked up two boxes of these at Costco not to long ago. I not only have them in my first aid kits but I also use them for food prep, cleaning guns and working with chemicals. These are hands down the best nitrile gloves I have seen and used. Super comfy, great fit and insanely tough.

[​IMG]

11. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

I keep North American Rescue Nitriles in 5mm for myself, but will scrounge whatever I can from the ER wherever I end up after a call. As long as they aren't black.

12. TatendaZim

TatendaZim Empty Pockets

I've used the nitrile gloves from Sam's Club for years (almost everyday in the kitchen and in the shop). They are good quality, but you have to buy two boxes at a time (price about $17, but each box has 200 gloves). I also have tried the Harbor Freight 5 mil gloves and don't like them and the Harbor Freight 7 mil gloves, which are much better but more expensive. Haven't tried them, but the Kimberly-Clark (now called Halyard Health) purple nitrile gloves get excellent reviews on Amazon.

13. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

+1 for ST. JOHN AMBULANCE NITRILES and I buy mine at the same place.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  14. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

on my last deployments, I used the Esteem Stretchy Nitrile gloves in any color except black( didn't like to not be able to make out what fluid was on my hands). I always put 2 pairs on to be able to change out the outer layer between patients, worked really well, and didn't end up ripping too many of them atempting to put gloves on when S hit the fan

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  15. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Your local pharmacy should have nitrile and powder free gloves, all medical gloves are (should be) powder free acording til the ISO standarts.

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That would be a VERY, VERY THICK glove!!

17. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I use whatever I happen to bring home off the bus after a shift. I swear I've got.two gallon zip locks full of large nitrile gloves

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Nitrile is da bomb-diggity. Even for household use, I won't use anything else.

"Stealth" black are popular with the tactical crowd, but IMO are a bad idea, blood doesn't show up well. Blue and purple are pretty common, and blood stands out very well, especially on the lighter blue ones.

19. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

We used to use black ones when I worked in New Mexico. Great for starting lines and tactile work since they were so thin. Generally the wetness was a good Give away of blood too

20. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Didn't like using the black ones in Afghanistan. They would tease too easy and in blow to nonlight conditionsi couldn't tell if it was blood, sweat or other fluids

RAMBOCAT likes this.