1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Glove suggestions for a photographer

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by soli, Oct 23, 2009.

1. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  2. ryball

ryball Empty Pockets

Take a look at roofing/framer gloves.

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I bought a pair of "sealskinz" gloves
    They aren't superwarm, but they work well enough in australian conditions
    They have grippy dots on one side, are waterproof, and I have enough dexterity whilst wearing them to be able to operate my camera properly (canon 1d) this means flicking switches, pushing buttons and changing cards/batterys
    Very happy with them (and they do cover my thumb and forefinger)

they also fit my odd shaped hands (very long skinny fingers)

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Whenever I need fine dexterity in cold weather, I wear flight gloves like these http://www.flightsuits.com/index.php?id=18&cat_id=26&prod_id=102

They are comfortable, sufficiently warm that I can use them at least for a bit without trouble, and unless doing some very hard work are durable enough. Of course it helps that I have LOTS of pairs left over from the military.

5. mightysparrow

mightysparrow Empty Pockets

I would look in catalogs that have police gear in them, and find the gloves with insulation. Certain loves by Franklin, for example, have insulation in them but retain a close-fit and dexterity.

6. brotherlen

brotherlen Loaded Pockets

I would recommend maybe a set of anti contact gloves like a set of nomex flight gloves and maybe something mitten like to slip your hands into when not handling the controls on the camera. Bare skin in sub zero is bad news. When I lived in Alaska, the Army has "Arctic Mittens" they are great. can't do anything with them on, but you can wear them around your neck, pull your hands out (gloved) do whatever it is that you needed fingers for and slip them back in. They would also snap behind your back, so they were out of the way. the fuzzy stuff is to wipe your snot with.
    [​IMG]

7. Turtle75

Turtle75 Loaded Pockets

8. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

I'd have to second trying a pair of Nomex flight gloves. I can do almost anything gloved with them that I can do barehanded.

9. k2mykel

k2mykel Empty Pockets

For wet or in water use, look at your local fly shop or Orvis.com. Orvis will be EXPENSIVE, but top quality. I work outside and like Patagonia's wool fingerless gloves. I'm always moving my fingers or they are in my pockets or the tips stay warm. Good luck. Marmot makes a thin, wind proof glove that I think they market for joggers. My wife has a pair and really likes, a little slick for my taste but warm enough for most cool days in the SE.

10. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

You can get by with LowePro gloves, and then if you're in sub-freezing weather, finger-opening gloves over that, so when you remove the outer glove you still have the LowePro gloves as a protective layer.

Don't forget thermals, and keeping your core warm, and especially your head. Water, communications, etc., depending on where you go.

11. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

12. RFA3

RFA3 Loaded Pockets

those convert mittens are nice but only seem to sell them in the UK, any stateside place to buy em'?

13. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've been using a really heavy glove (actually one from a pair of BMW winter motorcycling gloves, but any heavy ski gloves would work) on my left hand (to hold the camera / lens - the metal in the lens really sucks the heat out of your hands) and a thin glove (meant as a liner, I think) on my right (to operate the shutter / controls) - then keep my left hand in a pocket when I'm not shooting. It works OK; but my right index finger gets pretty cold after a while (last episode - on a couple hour hike in Northern MN, at about 15 F), and some of the controls are tough to use (particularly the scroll wheel on the front of my Nikon D700) - although the shutter button works well enough. I actually have some nomex flight gloves, but hadn't thought to use them - I'll have to give them a try.

14. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I've been having a hard look at these:
    http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_hunting.php
    (model 824BK Premium Waterproof Hunting Glove)

I was originally looking for a glove for sport shooting (shotgun) this winter, but also like to take my Nikon D50 out in the woods from time to time. They appear pretty good and they're cheaper than the Underarmour gloves I've tried on. Also, these have protected seams for full water proofing (I know, hopefully not an issue with a spendy DSLR), and have a special tactile fingertip for added dexterity. Anyone else have experience with Glacier gloves?

15. rudysw2

rudysw2 Empty Pockets

Lowe Alpine Grip Gloves really work for me in sub-zero temps - I can highly recommend them. Surprisingly warm, despite being thin. Very dextrous, good fingertip sensitivity - can easily turn dials/push buttons on my camera and pull notes out of my wallet with ease while wearing these gloves. Used them last week in -9c with no problems and they fared well in -17c earlier this year.

[​IMG]

16. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

are those lowepros water proof? I am also looking for one.

17. rudysw2

rudysw2 Empty Pockets

18. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

19. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

well eventually i want to post up a pic of what i want. rather a drawing.. I am in a similar situation, i want gloves that fit like a second skin so I can be nimble and use it for photography and use a stylus like on a palm pilot. Yet waterproof and warm in the -40 below lol.. Is there such a glove?