1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Glock 26 "Baby Glocks"

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Ethos, Jul 3, 2017.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I live in a country where self defense is illegal, so I should probably stay out of this discussion, but I like guns, I like shooting and I usually have an opinion, so I could just as well share it. Even if it's not worth a :censored:.

I'm actually in the market for a small gun, so I've been thinking about this a bit lately.
    Between the G43, G26, G19 and the likes, I would pick the G26, but only by a slim margin mostly caused by domestic limitations.
    It would be very hard for me to get permits for two guns in this size category, so even though I like the size and feel of the G43 a little bit better, I would pick the G26 for versatility. I have small hands, so the G26 actually fit my hands better than its larger siblings, and with all the choices in magazines, it would actually serve as a decent backup competition gun if one of my larger guns fail. I don't think I would think differently about this if self defense was a consideration.

The main competition to G26 is currently the SIG 320 compact, but I have to wait and see how the grip modules will be regulated. If grip modules fall outside of the permit system, this is potentially even more versatile than a G26. For me and where I live, that is.

As my main range gun however, Glock is not on my list at all. Preferences are subjective, and ergonomics are just as different, but for what it's worth I recently tried the new CZ Shadow 2, and was very impressed. It's not a perfect ergonomic fit for me, but in every other way it outperforms my current range guns. I've only tried one, so I can't be sure all of them are this good, but if they are... I should really grow some bigger hands

Last edited by aicolainen, Jul 4, 2017
    #21 aicolainen, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

That is sooo helpful with the thread topic, thanks for your input.

HardToHandle likes this.
  3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't shoot dogs.

Glock19er likes this.
  4. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

why don't you do The Chop? lots of guys end up with the same thought process, but like the longer barrel or sight radius of the 19 and the small grip of the 26. So they cut the grip down to a 26 length. It's the had part to conceal, anyway. Plus all your 19 holsters will work for it, you can shoot 26/19/17 mags for reloads, and you get all the benefits of a longer slide/barrel with the benefits of the shorter grip. And it's free if you DIY.

I'm surprised the CCO sized 1911 isn't more popular an officers frame fills my hand, but longer slides give better velocity, sight radius, reliability, etc....

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I'm looking at overall size and weight savings (including ammo), I'd rather go with one or the other. I carry the G19 fine, but I have something the same size, just thought the 26 would be in another bracket and give me options.

It's a shame I can't try the 43 somewhere, but a lot of single stacks twist in my hand through recoil causing me to reajust. It's a fault of big hands. Otherwise it would be perfect. But then I couldn't use all of my other magazines.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I actually shoot the M&P-9C well more easily than the G26 for some reason but I just like the Glock better so for me it is worth the effort to get as natural with the Glock.
    I can also use full size M&P mags in the compact gun like the Glock can.

I also shoot the PPS the same as the M&P vs the 43 but still I train with the 43 to make it worthwhile and so far it has been!

We like what we like regardless of common sense sometimes but luckily training can make them equal in the end,for me at least.

Ethos and Mumbojumboo like this.
  7. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

With both loaded and carrying their respective standard free state mags the g26 is ~3.9oz lighter. For a gun that will see primary bag and night stand duty now thanks to your SIG, it's not worth the downgrade IMHO if the gun functions 100% as is now. Unless you are living a truly mobile lifestyle for an extended period of time and this was going in a hiking pack or a true EDC bag (that actually gets carried 95%) where every oz matters, then maybe.

Ethos likes this.
  8. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

if this was an attempt to be humorous, it failed

Cobra 6 Actual, JIM and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  9. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

So I held a 43......I kinda liked it.

Only bad part olis all of the magazine support I have and will lose out on.

Regardless, if I upgraded with some Hyve extensions I wouldn't feel so bad about it and carrying an extra mag will be much easier as well.

I don't know. Sigh~

10. Voidspawn

Voidspawn Loaded Pockets

I have a G19 and a G26. HAD a G43, but sold it. The 26 is a perfect compromise of size and capacity for me. regardless of how close the dimensions are to the 19, the 26 carries and conceals much easier for me. I also carry a 19 magazine as a spare. The 43 was easy to carry, but the capacity issue didn't warrant the change from the 26. Another point, all of my 19 holsters work for my 26, not so for the 43. I have inflammatory arthritis and the 19 with extra mag was getting uncomfortable to wear on my hip, whereas the 26 and 19 magazine, while not reducing the weight tremendously, reduces weight enough to make a difference.

My $0.02....

Raven312 and Ethos like this.
  11. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

Great pics of the 43 next to the 30. Thanks for posting. Do you still have the 19. I would love to see pics of the 43 next to it for comparison. I have the 19 but the local gun shop can't seem to keep the 43 in stock so I haven't had a chance to compare size.

12. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Cut down the grip of the 19 to take 26 mags. A 26L if you will. Problem solved you're welcome. :cool:

soulknight and huntnow like this.
  13. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Grip length isn't what I'm after, it's overall size and weight savings together. I conceal the 19 fine now under most clothing, but there are times it's too big and something smaller would still work. I have an LCP and a Jframe and they are great, but I would prefer 9mm, especially if my Glock is riding in my already heavy go bag as a second gun.

joshwhoha likes this.
  14. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Ethos - I am a total G26 fan. If it fits, it works and packs the most number of cartridges into a tiny form factor.

I considered the chop, but instead put a RMS red dot on top. A red dot takes most of the purported value of longer slide out of the equation, plus your shooting will likely improve.

I also did it as a future proofing, for when old age affects the vision.

Ethos and joshwhoha like this.
  15. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I have a 26, 27 and a 23. I carry the 26 on my ankle during the day and it rides there very well in a Galco Ankle Glove. I keep the 23 in my "war bag" which is a Maxpedition Versipack. The 26 is a good CCW but, for a bag gun / night stand gun, I like having a full size (mid size) gun...

At the end day it's whatever you feel comfortable with - but, you're not trying to conceal it, so why compromise with a smaller gun?

Side note - if you go/stay with a 17 or 19 - they have a rail so you can put a light on it. Which is nice for a nightstand gun.

Ethos likes this.
  16. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

The Glock 26 has a tactical light option, the Streamlight TLR-6.
    I have used Surefire, Streamlight and Bayco tactical lights in the past. The TLR-6 is not perfect, due to lumen and switch limitations, but much better than no weapon-mounted light.

17. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

Choosing your EDC handgun depends on many things. Everyone's hands are different & grip/gun size/width can affect you choices. I wish my hands would allow me to shoot a thin/narrow subcompact well. And that's something to consider, too. How well can you shoot a small & what's your priority in your EDC?

If you have to qualify past 15 yds, you might want something with an approx. 4" barrel or longer. If not, then something with a 3.5" or less barrel is fine.

For me, my problem is grip size (I have very large hands) & length of pull (Distance from backstrap to trigger). I have 3 Kahrs, but their LOP is relatively short. Believe it or not, the S&W Shield's LOP is close to that of compacts (Glock 19 area).

Since I don't find myself carrying IWB much these days (High riding OWB), Glocks aren't too bad to carry for me, & they're light compared to most of their hi-cap competitors. I can shoot the 26 reasonably well & in fact I don't really notice a difference between it & my 19. However, if the distances get longer (15 yds & out), accuracy (For me) suffers a little.

What I have found to be a viable carry gun for me has been the Glock 30S (30SF frame with a 36 slim slide). It fits in all of my G19 holsters & is actually shorter, both in length & height. The thicker grip actually helps me, so I don't have any issues with it.

To the OP, if you miss the 26, get another one. Simple as that. I don't plan on getting rid of either the 26 or 19. If compactness is a priority, the 26 is hard to beat. I've often carried it with its 10 round mag (Or a +2 butt plate) & either 1 or 2 17 round mags. It's worked for me.

CIVSD likes this.
  18. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I ended up getting the 43 :) It points well and fits my hand better than I thought it would.

19. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I decided many years ago that I would carry in my pocket (cargo pocket).. I live in Florida, and wear nylon fishing shorts most of the year...I've been a competitive practical pistol and 3 gun shooter since 1982, and shot a .45 1911 until 2006, when I switched to the Glock platform with a G17 and later a G34... prior to and since that I've owned or own a G19, G17, G21, G22, G23, G26, G27, G34, G35, G42, G43... I think I'm done, and the G43 is my latest carry choice... with a TT+2 extension it gives me 9 shots of 9mm...the recoil is sharp, but I didn't buy the pistol to shoot competition with...I'll keep the G42 as I can shoot it exceptionally well, and the LCP fits in a Columbia shirt pocket...just different clubs in the bag

FWIW... the extended mag base makes the G43 much easier to control

Ethos likes this.
  20. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets