1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Glock 23C - My chopped EDC (23 to 27 frame reduction)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Fixer, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

I thought I would post a thread about my current EDC pistol. I will start by saying that I have never considered myself a Glock person, but I am coming around. For years I have carried a revolver or one of several German autos, but these days I love my Glock.

The only issues I ever had with Glocks were these:

1) All of Glock's compact and full size guns are too big to carry under a t-shirt (for me). I'm 6' 3" and 280 lbs and still can't hide a regular G23, the corners are too pointy and the grip is too long.

2) Glock's .40 sub compact doesn't have a rail. I'm a firm believer that any defensive weapon should have a light mounted on it. I can't see very well during the day much less at night in a dark alley.

In addition to the points above there did not seem to be a gun on the market that I liked. Either too long, too short, bad trigger, over-priced, low capacity, wrong caliber etc. etc. etc..

I settled on a Glock 23 and since I also really like compensated guns it's a C model, the only issue was, like I mentioned above, it's too long in the grip.

Here is a shot of the factory comp:

[​IMG]

Any who you guys probably know what's coming so on to the gruesome pictures:

Using my 26 for refference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Point of no return. I have to admit I was sweating a little at the time but once it was done it was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fitting along the way using a G26 magazine. The cloth wheel is nice for minor adjustments.

[​IMG]

I am planing on doing a stipple job at some point so I haven't taken the time to really clean up the lines yet. Regardless here are some comparison pictures mine vs factory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures of different magazine floor plates, the last one is a +1 and it's what I carry it with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see my biggest mistake when it has the regular magazine in it, I took a little too much off the front of the mag well. In reality the gap is still smaller than a factory one so it's no that big of a deal to me right now. The magazines seat and release freely and perfectly.

All in all I 'm really happy with it (overjoyed really). I can carry it with a t-shirt on and it doesn't print at all.

Here's some pictures of the holster I made for it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it.

2. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Have you tried AIWB carry? I moved to that position years ago to carry a Sig P229 and when I switched to a G23 it just became effortless to hide it. Here is my set-up, also made by myself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

To be blunt I'm too fat for appendix carry, even when I was skinny I found it very uncomfortable (and psychologically awkward). As a side note I carry 3 o'clock IWB, it's by far my favorite position.

EDIT: Nice holster BTW

4. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Did you ever think about going the m&p compact, or XD/XDM subcompact route?

5. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

I don't shoot the M&P half as well as I do a G27 much less my 23C, but I really thought about carrying the XDM. All of the reasons that people love glocks aside, I shoot this gun really well. I actually like the XDM trigger a little better.

Regardless none of them offer the slightly longer barrel and sight radius of this setup in addition to... all the reasons people love Glocks.

I'm also not going to deny that I like to tinker and that played a role here, but in the end I really feel like this is the perfect carry gun for me.

6. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I agree about the M&P compact. I can never get used to the lack of a reset. I have yet to really shoot the new model that is "supposed" to have a tactile reset. 40 S&W definitely is benefited with a longer barrel. Even though it's just a glock, I couldn't bring myself to chop a grip.....yet.

7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty nice/brave job :p! The holster looks great.. You could have cut a bit more off to make it more concealable .. Like this ;) 40 cal is just like a big 22, you only need one finger grip [​IMG]

8. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

Thanks.

And if I had a nickel for every time I've seen that picture...

majki likes this.
  9. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

wow, I like to mod stuff and have done some gunsmithing but I wouldn't have attempted this in a thousand years. Turned out great and if it suits your needs, even better. You can't go wrong with a Glock. Great job.

10. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I'm not normally afraid to break something if I learn from it but in this case I gold REALLY cold feet as the hacksaw touched the frame.

You hit the nail on the head of the whole purpose of me doing this. I think that more people need to understand that there are a lot of factors that should go into picking a gun, especially a defensive gun for carry.

People like to talk about 9mm vs. .40 and 1911 vs. Glock but in those conversations I rarely hear anyone talking about;

Young vs. old
    Big vs. small
    Dress vs. casual
    Day vs. night
    Close vs. far
    Heavy vs. light
    Long vs. short
    High vs. Low
    On vs. off

... You get the point. There is no one gun for everybody. I'm more like an "every gun for one" type a guy, once you buy or shoot them all then decide :)

huntnow likes this.
  11. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I cerakote and the first time I put a pistol in the sandblaster, I was very nervous. It just seems counter intuitive. So far, I have only destroyed one gun though and I've been doing it for about a year. Turns out Ruger P Series are not heat tolerant. FYI.

12. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

Interesting. What temp? Just curious. I really want to Cerakote this gun's slide either bronze or silver/grey at some point, maybe the frame too but either way it will be two tone.

13. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

Good work, and you've got more balls than I do for sure. I too so wish Glock would put a light rail on the baby Glocks. I've seen more and more people doing these chops now, as well as one guy who cut a rail into his 26. Seems Glock is missing a potential market.

I do have to ask, why put the extension on for carry after chopping the grip. It kinda seems to render most of the benefits of the chop useless by doing so, at least it looks close enough in pics to seem the size difference is close to negligible. Not being a smart :censored:, just genuinely curious.

I carried appendix forever. Had several guns in general, including the G26, G17 and G19 in that order. After all the selling and swapping I'm back to another 26. I don't blame you a bit on the appendix carry though, it's not for everyone. I actually bought a Glock Sport Combat holster and have fallen in love with owb, 2-3:00 carry. I never realized how well you can hide a gun owb as long as the holster keeps it high and tight to the body. I won't be going back to appendix carry unless I just have no other option for deep concealment.

14. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Typically 250 degrees. You can go lower or higher depending on material/time frame. Cerakote is amazing stuff. I like the burnt bronze too. I'm coating a LC9 with it this weekend for a guy.

15. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

If you couldn't hide a 23 at your sixe something isn't right about your holster or belt or clothing or position or all of it.

I am the EXACT same size and have carried a G23 concealed for 14 years with NO issues. Typically in just a t-shirt and jean/shorts. Most people are befuddled when they find out it was there. I carried around my wife's family in their home for two years undetected and they are gun people.

Either way you did a great DIY job on that cut down. I would be too nervous and have to send it out to Business End Customs or Bowie Tactical. Nice Kydex work too.

RichinVA likes this.
  16. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Loaded Pockets

Looks good very nice work, holster looks sweet as well hats off to ya..

17. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the compliments. I need to take a picture to show it better but basically even with the +1 grip it's still about 1.25" shorter than the 23 grip.

Must be the clothes I wear or my holsters. Does your gun have a light on it? I have to say that completely changes the dynamic of it. I have a Black Hills Leather IWB that hides the 23 perfectly, I would even carry a 22 if I was wearing looser clothing (I carried a full size USP Custom Combat for years).

Once you add a light to the 23 though I found that the angle required to make it comfortable was too extreme.

Also, I really only had issues with printing when I was seated. That may be the difference too.

Thanks for the compliments too.

18. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

I had never seen that pic before. Wow. That is pretty useless.

19. jforbush

jforbush Loaded Pockets

huntnow....you got a business doing Cerakote work or just for fun?

20. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets