1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Glock 22 .40

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by capn_tack, Sep 10, 2009.

1. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

Well, the gun is expressly DESIGNED for a light to be mounted, and in fact some folks do need pistol mounted lights, SWAT and K9 officers being most notable. Being a night shift guy full time, and a SWAT guy part time (on a team active enought that I have in the area of 1500 high risk warrants in my career), for most of the last 23 years of my career I find pistol mounted lights to be very useful, as do many other officers working the street. Along with my night shift and SWAT experience, my experience as a low-light instructor trainer for Strategos gives me way more than the normal base of experience than the average street cop.

Outside of this, many of our guns never had a light on them, as did none of the 800+ G22s that the Indiana State Police had, and they still didn't work. Recently the problems with Milwaukee PD's guns (again almost 1000 pistols) involved, guess what???, no lights.

Recently the LAPD was looking at dropping the G22 as their issued pistol due to reliability issues, again not involving WMLs. Now they are looking at the M&P as well as the new Gen 4 Glocks.

The G22 has had serious reliability issues for quite some time, hence the new Gen 4 Glock recoil system. A total redesign of the recoil spring assembly didn't just happen for no reason.

To steal a quote from another forum on a discussion ref the new gen 4 G22, this from an LAPD firearms instructor;

"We had one and I shot the snot out of it. It seems to take care of all of the issues with the 22. Unfortunately it is not retrofittable and is marketed as a "recoil reducer" and not an "our gun is screwed up and we are too cowardly to admit it so here you go we fixed it part". The current Glock 22 is not a true duty ready weapon, I hope it doesn't take a dead cop or armed citizen to get this point across."

And for the record, Milwaukee switched to the M&P after working with Glock for over a year and a half trying to get their guns working, then one night they had a copper get shot due to his G22 choking on the street.

2. jsco25

jsco25 Empty Pockets

I use to carry a glock 22 and was recently issued a glock 22 RTF. i i've had zero problems with either one. it isn't the most concealable handgun, but it can be done. I carry in a milt sparks versa max 2. If i was going to get a new glock for a ccw. i'd get the 23 or 19.

3. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Definitely give the Springfield Armory XD-40 or XDm-40 a test drive. They are just as rugged and durable as Glocks. True, Glocks have a larger part and accessories market, but they've also been around longer. You have an equal chance of a failure in either weapon, and if it needs repaired (and it's your first gun), you'll want to take it to a smith, anyway. It comes down to personal preference. Glocks are outstanding weapons, but never felt right in my hands. The XDs, OTOH, fit great immediately...everyone is different, though.

I have an XD-45 Tactical (5-inch) and it is a :censored: to conceal on my body. Awesome, flawless performance, but not ideal for CCW, for me anyway.

If a Glock works out for you, you won't be disappointed. Same goes for the XD. Either way, shoot several brands and pick the one that works best for you; don't let the lovers and haters sway your opinion too much.

Good luck!
    True!

4. justin3

justin3 Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love my Glock 22. I've put well over 15000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I've used it while camping, plinking, IPSC, daily carry, etc... It is my absolute favorite and gauranteed fall back weapon in any circumstance. It's even fired with broken parts(busted firing pin spring, didn't realize it)

I agree with what a lot of others have had to say in here, that it isn't the most concealable thing for some people, but I can conceal it quite well in my High Noon Topless holster, though I'm a big guy at 6'4 and 260.

My carry piece switches between my glock 22 and my keltec pf9. I carry the pf9 iwb on work days, as my job requires me being physically close with people regularly, as well as doing a decent amount of reaching over my head for various things. Even though the pf9 is a decent amount of firepower for the size, I can't help but feel inadequately prepared. The confidence level I have in responding to a threat is much greater when I've got a full size pistol with 16 rounds of .40 at my side, when I know that in a rapid draw/fire situation I've trained extensively at 5-25 yards, and have a much higher hit percentage than with the smaller gun/sight radius.

5. aegri_mentis

aegri_mentis Loaded Pockets

Quit sight-aiming your shots (use point shooting), and you will negate the effects of the effects of the smaller sight radius.

6. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

my glocks [22,23] are great and have been totally reliable. my edc guns now that I'm no longer in LEO or even active in PI work is usually a p3at or pf9. i have most of the guns KT makes and have had pretty positive experiences with them. my p3at had a few stoppages when new, but is dead reliable for years now. the pf9 was reliable out of the box. before that i preferred my smith 640 for BUG and Off duty carry.

they aren't very common currently but the feg smc 918 is a pretty good package. very compact and somewhat more powerful than the 380 or 32 options from walther in a comparable package. more reliable than most of the Walthers I've owned over the years!

7. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

"Quit sight-aiming your shots (use point shooting), and you will negate the effects of the effects of the smaller sight radius."

Indeed, this will cause one to miss many more shots from both the full and compact size pistols.

"The confidence level I have in responding to a threat is much greater when I've got a full size pistol with 16 rounds of .40 at my side, when I know that in a rapid draw/fire situation I've trained extensively at 5-25 yards, and have a much higher hit percentage than with the smaller gun/sight radius."

As one would expect. John Farnam posted on his site recently about this, recommending a full size psitol for folks who may have to deal with problems at distance and unable to access or carry a carbine for whatever reason. He made some good points.

8. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

Curious, any of you guys have a problem when mounting a weapon light on the G22? (ie. FTF, FTE) ??

9. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

No, and if you are it's probably limp-wristing....

10. Jay PS

Jay PS Loaded Pockets

My department has been carrying the Glock 23 since 2000 and have never experienced any difficulties. I'm talking none. Not one single issue with any of our department's firearms in almost a decade. Aside from my duty weapon, I have owned the Glock 27, I wanted to maintain calibre consistency to my duty gun, and I haven't had a single issue. I think that they are highly dependable guns, easy to field strip and maintain. Aside from the Glocks, I own a Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson Sigma, and a Ruger Mini-14. I recommend the Glock highly particularly for those who are issued one through their department. I find virtually no difference in shooting my 23 and 27 in terms of muscle memory. The hundreds of hours of training that I have on my duty weapon really come in handy with the Glock 27. I carry it as my primary off duty gun except when I'm out in the woods on long hikes where I tend to carry the Sigma as a pocket gun or on my belt. The difference in weight between the Glock 27 and the Sigma is significant when backpacking. After hearing so many good things about the Ruger LCP, I decided to purchase one to replace the Sigma for backpacking. I highly recommend the Glock though. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall hearing about the exploding problem for the 23. Am I right about that?

11. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

they dont have an exploding problem. the few that did blow up were from the shooter using bad reloads. The same thing could happen to any other gun out with loaded with crappy reload ammo.

12. fg12351

fg12351 Loaded Pockets

I have a Glock 23 as my first handgun and love it. I'm not a big guy and I find I can CCW it pretty well with an IWB. If you are looking to carry then go with the 23. The 22 might be too big.

Go to a range and shoot one and see how it feels to you. That's the best advice I can give you.

13. AmbuBadger

AmbuBadger Loaded Pockets

I also own a G22, a 3rd gen. model. I also bought the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and a G17 magazine, and so far have put about 50 rounds of some old Blazer non-reload 9mm downrange with no problems. Will try some Federal 9mm tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it goes as far as accuracy...

14. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Loaded Pockets

I'm more of a Sig fan, but you can never go wrong with a Glock.

15. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Wow. Great thread. To the OP, what a ride eh? Lots to digest.
    I gather that some frontline people disagree with other frontline people. The issue seems that "when SAAMI specs are exceeded then :boo: ".

16. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Might I suggest two acronyms?
    OTBC = On The Body Carry
    OBC = On Board Carry

17. AmbuBadger

AmbuBadger Loaded Pockets

Well, I have put several hundred rounds of Winchester, Blazer, Cor-Bon, and Federal 9mm through my conversion barrel in my G22, all with no problems. The .40 I've been using has functioned flaswlessly as well, but I honestly figured that would be a given, considering Glocks' reputation...