1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Glock 19 vs M&P fs

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Wishoot, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

The Shield is a fantastic gun. Better than the full sized M&P 9 IMO.

$272 is one of the best prices I've seen yet.

Dorian, Damn_Yankee and SMAJ like this.
  2. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

I have heard good things....and it is such a good price I may not be able to pass it up!

Dorian and Wishoot like this.
  3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better single stack. Especially for that price.

Dorian and SMAJ like this.
  4. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

Got a new family member a short while back. S&W M&P 9 Pro.

[​IMG]

So in a quick comparison to my Gen4 Glock 19, I have determined the following and have rated as such,

Price. By the time you replace the factory Glock ball & bucket ones with a good set of night sites you in for almost the same amount of bucks. So it's a wash.

Grip/Purchase. The S&W 9 Pro is great in the hand right out of the box with the middle sized palm swell that shipped on the gun.
    That's good because getting the twisty black key bit out to change grip sizes is pure hell when new. M&P 5 stars, Glock 3 stars.

Ergos. The S&W has a ambi slide lock right out of the box. M&P 5 stars, Glock 4 stars.
    Mag capacity. the 9 Pro holds 17+1 while the Glock is 15+1. M&P 5 stars, Glock 3 stars.

Accuracy. About the same, hard to tell. Here's what a few magfulls of fast paced shots at 7 yards look like. M&P 5 stars, Glock 5 stars.

[​IMG]

Trigger. A safety is a safety but, the reach is a tad better on the Smith & Wesson. The Glock reset can be heard up the street. M&P 5 stars, Glock 4 stars.

Overall appearance, fit, finish and build quality etc. The S&W M&P 9 Pro is USA made and a fine piece of kit. The Glock is boxy but good. M&P five stars, Glock 4 stars.

So after carful tabulation of all stars from both sides. The winner is, the Glock 19 Gen4.

For those wondering how is that possable. Well it's my comparison and I cooked the books because I like Glocks better and this post is satire in the first place.

Bottom line, Both are keepers and nether one is going anywhere.

5. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I feel like I'm just echoing others, but... The Glock 19 is one of the most classic and useful pistols ever created. I carry an HK VP9, but if the VP9 had never hit the market I'd be rocking a 19. I've tried most of the polymer striker fired options on the market and the only ones that meet my standards are the Glock 19 and VP9. The XD, M&P, and PPQ all fall short for me in some way. I think you've got a winner on your hands.

Strayz likes this.
  6. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

So back to the M&P shield. What about the 9 v the 40? I have read on the forums that their is quite a lot of recoil issues with the 40...but is it that much a difference than any other 40 in that small frame? Sale is tomorrow. I am going to get one or the other, just curious what y'all think!

7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Personal preference. I'm not a fan of 40 S&W in general. I have no doubt that it's a potent caliber, but compared to 9mm, I do find the recoil a touch snappy and follow up shots slower. I also like the extra round or two you can squeeze in a 9mm magazine.

If I were willing to practice more with 40, I would become more proficient, but I prefer 9mm and that's what I stock.

SMAJ likes this.
  8. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Well, I have a springfield HD in 40 and I like that...but the frame is larger. its just not a CCW. I have read several reviews that say just that, that the recoil is snappy and its more difficult to recover for the follow up shots.

Wishoot likes this.
  9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean. I actually enjoy shooting my friends full sized M&P 40. It's snappy, but not too bad. Oddly enough, I have an older S&W 4006 that weighs a ton and the recoil is more noticeable in mine.

If 40 is your caliber of choice, it may make more sense to stick with it and practice

SMAJ likes this.
  10. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Not sure i .40 is my caliber of choice per se, but it is one of two! :p I have both a glock 26 and the springfield. I also have a 1911, i don't shoot often, and a 38 I hate and hope to sell! LOL! I like both the 40 and the 9. I know what you mean about practice. At the end of the day, I don't think I will 'lose' if I buy one or the other. There is a limited supply for this particular sale, so availability may decide for me!

1 person likes this.
  11. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

and the Glock doesn't have the little coil spring under the sear bar....

12. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I agonized over a M&P 9mm FS and a Glock 19 6-7 years ago. Ended up getting the M&P. Carried it daily and have had exactly 3 stopages in 23k rounds. 2 were dud primers and 1 was a big hunk of crud in the striker channel which had never been cleaned in 20k rounds. I now have a Glock 19 as an alternative to my J Frame for daily carry. Both the Glock and M&P have their place. Both have "acceptable" triggers and sights, but both need some work to get to the point where I would consider them fighting guns.

Wishoot likes this.
  13. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Missed the sale two weeks ago, so forced myself to get in line today...the day after black friday. It wasn't as bad as it was two weeks ago at the fall gun sale, and I got my gun! Opted for the 9mm M&P Shield. I really like the feel of this gun and can't wait to fire it. Off to buy a IWB holster!;)
    [​IMG]

Wishoot, dawgfan76 and Kryptonian like this.
  14. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Congratulations! The Shield is OUTSTANDING IMO. I like it much more than the FS M&P9.

I'm wearing my Shield right now in fact.

SMAJ likes this.
  15. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

sweet! Thanks! I am looking forward to taking it out to the range. did you modify the trigger? that seems to be one of the common complaints.

Wishoot likes this.
  16. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Some comparison photos with my only Glock, Glock 26:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dorian likes this.
  17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

No. Trigger is completely stock. After carrying a J-Frame, LC9 (original version) and LCP (also original version), the stock Shield trigger feels almost fine-tuned.

SMAJ likes this.
  18. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

I am in a similar boat here. Only the order for me is HK VP9, PPQ then Glock 19. All seem to work for me but there are features and stuff I like about the two in front of the G19. After that I am going to a wheel gun.

It is all about people, no two of us are alike and that is a good thing. Unless you like the XD then you are just weird. :rofl:

Wishoot likes this.
  19. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

XDm triggers, with a bit of work, are probably the best if you can get over the takeup.

I still put m&ps on top. I just like them.

Wishoot likes this.
  20. JigMeister

JigMeister Empty Pockets

My edc is a Shield 9. I really love this gun except for one thing: Chambering/racking is a tough pull compared to a Glock.
    But for the price (Esp for $272!), it's hard to beat.

I went with the 9 over 40 for two reasons: recovery for the second shot is quicker (thus better accuracy) and 9mm ammo is cheaper.
    I do own two Glocks (19 and 23) and love them both. I should sell the G23 just to cut down on ammo variety I suppose but can't bring myself to part with it.

Wishoot likes this.