1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Glock 19 for IWB carry??

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by olletsocmit, Sep 1, 2013.

1. duqjeep2010

duqjeep2010 Loaded Pockets

^ what he said that or get an IWB holster for your G19. I carried a Sig P229 for years before I got my Shield with no problem so a G19 should be a cake walk.

2. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Been there, done that. It definitely does not work for me. Appendix carry was my last hope for coverage with a T or casual shirt. My Tomcat,yes. My LCR, yes. My Glocks? No way. Can spot them a mile away. And I'm not so sure I like a gun pointed at my groin.
    I'm gonna stick with pocket carrying my snubs, and OWB with a cover garment anything bigger.

3. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Something isn't adding up as I can even hide a 5" 1911 inside.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

4. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Is it possible Red33, that it is just you being self concious? You know you have a gun strapped to your body, you know exactly where, and easily observe it because you know where to look, but would it be obvious to an un-knowing observer? Remember most people are only concerned with their own issues and will not be looking to uncover the mysteries of a slight bulge on a strangers body.

5. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

What kind of t-shirt are we talking about here? A thicker material shirt will go a long way. I can conceal under darker thicker tshirts but I usually wear 2 layers like an undershirt a polo or undershirt and button down of some type. Two tshirts could also help. The over garment will not hang as much in the gun/holster. Material is big too, anything stretchy or clingy is a big no no.

Positioning is also a huge deal. I find it also varies with pants and cover. Some clothes I can carry at 3:00 others 3:30 and still others I gotta go to 2:30.

I'm 6 1 270 size 42 pants 2xl shirt for most clothes.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

6. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Maybe. But like I stated, my wife and son can usually spot where it is. But then again, we are not most :censored:.
    Your correct in saying most are concerned with their own issues. That's how people get into bad situations in the first place.
    My son thinks being this alert is paranoid. I told him I think it's just being cautious.

7. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Look into the Duluth Trading long tail tees. They say made for plumbers but they were really made for CCW lol

8. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I've been doing the G19 in a Raven Concealment Vanguard II since it came out and use it ALL the time. I can easily conceal with a t-shirt. That being said, I don't have a "belly" (6'3 - 195 lbs) and I've adjusted the thing to where it works well. I do shorts and t-shirt almost every day and the only time I have to make an adjustment is if I'm doing an extended period of driving.

9. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Here I am wearing normal clothes with my G19 in a dark star gear appendix iwb. My belt is a belt man belt.

[​IMG]

10. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

My brother in law carries a 23 (same dimensions as a 19, just in .40) and he conceals it just fine. He is 6'4" and a few pounds overweight and wears IWB at the 4 or 5 position above the right back pocket.

Another thing to keep in mind. Pattern on a shirt can play a big difference in helping to conceal something. A crazy Hawaiian type shirt is much better then a plain, solid color t shirt. I'm not suggesting you redo your entire wardrobe, just keep it in mind.

marcclarke likes this.
  11. LSJones

LSJones Empty Pockets

I have carried my G-19 for 20+ years in the same Blade-Tec IWB holster with a J hook. I move it between the 3 and 4 o'clock depending on whether am standing or sitting. Never had a problem with it. I have a G-26 for a back up gun when working, but for the size difference, the 19 is easier to hold and not that much harder to conceal. Only complaint is it eventually wears holes in my shirts.

12. Hobs98

Hobs98 Loaded Pockets

Redd your asking your family to play "Where's Waldo" with your carry gun. They are super scrutinizing you. The average person isn't going to check you out as hard. Now that doesn't mean to be lazy with you concealment, but the gun isn't just going to vanish either. I normally wear a iwb Glock 19 in a pair of jeans, with an untucked button up shirt.

TARFU likes this.
  13. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

It's not so much the barrel then it is the handle length. I successfully carry my G19 with no issue in just T-shirts and no other cover garment. Here are a few things I always recommend when someone is having issues.

1. Holster- all holsters are NOT created equal. If you are a hip carry; crossbreed or blade tech. If you go appendix(this is my preferred); Dale Fricke or Blade tech. The Incog seems well but I have no experience with it since my Fricke suits all my needs.

2. Belt/pants-a proper gun belt and just as important how it is worn. Most people cinch them too tight in many cases. Depending where you carry this can force the butt of the gun to kick outwards from the body. This is most prominent on Appendix carry. This goes hand in hand with pant size, allow 2" bigger in pants size if carrying a compact or full size gun. Forget skinny jeans or regular fit in 99% of the cases. This will force you to carry the gun higher on the hip or it too ride more of an angle during appendix along with having your belt too tight.

3. Shirts- dress in patterned as much as possible. Doesn't have to be crazy Hawaiian shirts, but a simple vertical striped shirt makes a huge difference. Heavier materials like those in moisture wicking and most golf style polos work great. They don't cling like cotton and tend to print less and help keep you cool. Undershirts like wife beater or A shirts help as well in a couple ways. It allows the holster to slide some when your moving in weird positions. This goes back to not cinching your belt to tight so it can move with you. Keeps your outer shirt from sticking to you when it's hot out and further break up the silhouette of your build. Plus less moisture and salt build up to wipe off your firearm/holster after a hot day outside.

4. Accessories- if you carry your phone or multi-tool in a belt style case don't put it on the side of your firearm. This goes without saying, but some people wear their multi tool behind their gun position if worn at 3 or phone up around 1. Put it at the opposite side so you're less likely to touch your gun and when reaching for those items anyone who is actually critical enough too pay attention is looking elsewhere.

Sent via satellite from outer frickin' space!

14. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

While I appreciate the comments and photo, I still think I will go with what I know works for me. Maybe I am playing where is the firearm, but I figure if I play it, so do others who are a little carry savvy.

And no offence to Duce, but posting a pic of you just standing with your weapon doesn't really reinforce the point. Sure, if I stand straight and move like a robot, I can conceal just about any weapon. But when you move, bend, reach,etc, that is the real test.
    I went out this weekend with the wife, .38 Smith in a Kramer pocket holster, back pock of my jeans with a untucked polo. This has been my summer carry for a couple of summers. Wife didn't have a clue I was carrying. Also, I figure if someone asks for my wallet, they are not going to be to suspicious of me reaching into my back pocket.
    I have tried holsters, clip draws, Mic holsters, etc, but I usually come back around to pocket carry for warm weather, and OWB for cooler weather.

15. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you aren't worried about sitting on the gun?

16. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I carry a Sig M11-A1 in a Crossbreed Supertuck daily and have never had an issue and I wear t-shirts year round. I might throw a flannel on in the coldest parts of December and January but that's about it. I think it's because you know you're carrying you think about it but 99% of the people you'll meet every day in this country now are more interested in the latest Kardashian or Miley Cyrus news than what's going on around them.

17. TX expat

TX expat Loaded Pockets

I carried a 19 as my EDC gun for a long while. I switched over to a 26 close to a year ago and have carried it almost exclusively since the switch. The 26 is just enough smaller and lighter that the difference is worth the cost in capacity, but if I didn't have my 26 I wouldn't have any complaints about going back to carrying the 19 daily.

And on the point about how well it conceals, I would say this: Nobody is going to be as critical of how well it's concealed as you are. Any gun is going to print at some point, given a certain movement or motion of the body. It's almost impossible to achieve the ability to conceal with no printing all the time. The thing to remember is most folks don't pay any attention to that sort of thing and you'd be surprised how much printing will actually pass unnoticed in most circumstances. I'm not talking about LE or others who are trained for, and are actively looking for, the tells associated with carrying concealed. I'm talking about most normal folks.

So basically, if you have some need to conceal to the highest level, then any printing should concern you. If you are just concerned that someone will spot the outline of your pistol in Walmart and call the police, I'm saying that that scenario is highly unlikely.

Last edited by TX expat, Sep 9, 2013
  18. epm357

epm357 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 17 IWB in a Blackhawk leather holster purchased from Walmart website. Very comfortable carry.

19. lateapex

lateapex Loaded Pockets

AIWB Raven V2, disappears with fitted shirt for me. INCOG, Shaggy, JS Custom also make great AIWB holsters.

Caveat is that you have proper training for AIWB.

It's the Indian, not the Arrow.

20. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

I'm a fairly small guy (5' 8", 160lbs) but I manage to hide a Smith M&P 9mm compact (sized between a Glock 19 and 26) in a Kholster IWB behind my hip just fine. I wear a short-sleeve button down shirt over it, and nobody seems to have a clue (at least they don't tell me or call the cops).

Since you're wearing a proper gun belt, have you tried adjusting the holster's cant (the angle at which the holster holds your gun)? I can't conceal much of anything behind my hip with a neutral cant holster (the setting most IWB holsters come with out of box), but with a holster set to tilt the gun forward about 20 degrees, I'm able to conceal even my full-size M&P9 (roughly Glock 17-sized), albeit under a coat. Anything compact-sized disappears under a shirt for me.