1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

glock 17...your honest opinion.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rickinFL, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

+ 1 on the shot gun. Nothing makes a person more unwelcome than racking a shot gun in a dark house that they houldnt be in.

You can pick up a Remington 870 or mossberg 500 for $300 or there abouts. They are bullet proof so to speak. You could add all the bells and whistles to it and still come out cheaper than a new glock.

The only downside is I would not recommend it if you have a family. A HD shotgun should have a light on it. So anything your light is pointed at the barrel of the gun is too. A HD pistol should have a light as well. But your weak hand should be holding a flashlight until you know what you are about to point your gun at. With the shotgun you don't really have the free hand for the light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

2. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

you can't go wrong with the Glock 17. Once you "learn" the Glock trigger , they are very easy to shoot well.

3. DamnYankee

DamnYankee Loaded Pockets

There is no way to go wrong with a Glock 17, especially for a bedside gun. I agree that there is no better gun for home defense than a pump-action, but a handgun does have it's advantages. I keep my G17 next to my bed and with a Streamlight TLR-2s(best weapon light i have found for the price). Go out and try a few different guns and see what feels best for you, but with the Glock you are going to get a reliable weapon,trusted by 60% of police agencies, at an affordable price

4. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Handheld it's always going to be far more to do with the hands than any other factor.

There is loads of evidence out there, you can't clamp/vice a glock or any polymer framed handgun effectively for obvious reasons. Those interested in the mechanical consistency of them try to find more extreme ways to fix them down. If I rest on a bag I can get smaller than 2" at 25 yards and that's not really my thing at all.

As for keeping under the bed, there are a lot of contrary views out there (Glock talk about the 9 springs) but for first shot reliability from something you are going to leave loaded a safer bet might be a revolver.

5. greyghost

greyghost Empty Pockets

I've got 2 Glocks. A 17 and a 26. The 17 makes a great house gun. And is too much fun at the range. I've been known to cc my 17 on many an occasion!

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...you can't clamp/vice a glock or any polymer framed handgun effectively for obvious reasons."
    Yup, this is why three-inch groups at 100 yards from a Glock is a fallacy.

7. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

If this is for self-defense, you might want a good lawyer to go with your civil suit.

8. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Castle law.

9. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

You will still need a lawyer for the Civil suit and for your questioning. Chances are you will be taken into custody. You will be questioned as a murder suspect. The family will sue you. You will go to court. You will need a lawyer. Castle doctrine has nothing to do with blocking some one from a civil suit. I can sue you for anything, but if it is groundless it will get thrown out in court. But you will still need a lawyer. Even if I'm 100% sure I had a clean self defense shooting I would still lawyer up before giving a statement to the police. A friend of mine is a criminal defense lawyer and I'm setup on retainer with him for this very purpose.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

10. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Rick, its castle doctrine. Also, a glock 17 is a fine choice of weapon to fight your way to the shotgun;)! If your not sure were to mount it, mount it under your bed frame using conceal mount magnets. Its better than a drawer and if someone busts in your room you should roll off the bed to conceal yourself better anyway. All of this is just my opinion of course, (except the doctrine thing), and you should find what works best for you and practice lots.

11. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Its also know as the "castle law" in many states and sometimes as a "defense of habitation" law. Many states also provide immunity for civil lawsuits. In Tennessee I'm covered by a castle law that provide (1) A person who uses force as permitted in §§ 39-11-611-- 39- 11-614, or § 29-34-201, is justified in using such force and is immune from civil liability for the use of such force,

The only things I'm not immune from, are shooting a LEO in performance of their duties, and the injury of any bystanders or property damage. Also, the same protection applies to my car. If they use force to enter my home or car (turning a door knob counts as force) Then 2 out of the 3 things needed for it to be justified self defense are already assumed. Its assumed they have 1: intent and 2: ability. As long as I have 3: a fear for my safety, then I am justified in a shooting and immune from civil suits.

Last edited by amacman, Apr 30, 2012
  12. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

It does very state to state. But you will be questioned and probably taken into custody until you prove (some states assume) that your actions are covered under your states law and regardless of if you are charged or not you can still be sued. It sounds like it would be thrown out in court. You may not need a lawyer in that case but unless you know how to file the motion to dismiss it you'll end up in court to dismiss it. You will probably also never get your gun back if the police take it as part of the investigation or at the very least be without it of quite a while.

If you know all of that for a fact in TN then don't worry with one. Or for everyone else if you know it for a fact in your particular state then that's fine. There are different laws and precedents in every state. Having a lawyer can only help in each one.

This is just my .02, you are playing with your liability, lively hood and life of both you and your family. Get a lawyer. It's not worth it to me to go skimping on the costs when that much is on the line. Get a lawyer before making an official statement. Only say the bare minimum necessary before your lawyer is present. Other wise you may put yourself in jail. And end up with higher fees later and a public defender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

13. o62omega

o62omega Loaded Pockets

Great gun you will not go wrong with any of the glock options

14. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Loaded Pockets

The Glock 17 is good. But if you haven't made your purchase yet and still trying to decide, try a Walther PPQ in 9mm. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and IMO the PPQ is better than both. With the PPQ you don't need to do a trigger job. Its awesome right out of the box. And the grip is excellent also. It has replaced the Glock 19 as my EDC weapon.

15. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

The Glock 17 is a well made, dependable pistol.
    Firepoint offers good advice. Most ranges will have a 17 available for rent. Shoot it and see how it feels.

16. beast

beast EDC Junkie

Get the 17, no trigger job needed. Practice, shoot the piss out of it, they are awesome for home defense. I have a 3rd gen 17, it eats everything, trust it with my life any day.

17. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

Any glock will suit you well. They are reliable, accurate, easy to use, and an all around fantastic choice for a first gun. A 17 is a great choice! After you get it shoot all you can. Nothing makes up for quality range time.

18. surgicalcric

surgicalcric Empty Pockets

What RR said.

I have carried a G19 CCW in the civilian world and also carry one openly and concealed in the military depending on my mission. The ability to more easily conceal the weapon matters more to me than the length of the barrel or the grip length, within reason (not a huge fan of the G26 though.) I cannot imagine myself in a gunfight, military or civilian, where the difference in barrels length would be the deciding factor in whether or not I go home to my family, just saying...

As for capacity, all of my mags have a Plus+2 extensions added to them, in place of the standard floor plate, giving me 17 rounds with each mag - mission/situation then dictating the number of mags I carry on me.

HTH,

Crip

19. surgicalcric

surgicalcric Empty Pockets

If its for home protection I would recommend a Mossberg 500 or 570 series shotty or a Remington of comparable size.

There isn't a better home protection weapon made than a shotty. They are dependable, maintenance free - relatively, and are more reliable when your sympathetic nervous system kicks in (and you are shaking like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs) and your fine motor skills go to crap; meaning you don't have to put hundreds of thousands of rounds through it to maintain tactical proficiency. t would also be easier for your significant other to use in your absence as well.

Good rule of thumb with ammo loading is, number 6 shot, 00 buckshot, number 6 shot, 00 buckshot, etc etc...

20. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

A shotgun is cheaper to buy, has a better variety of ammo available, and is a LOT more effective at home defense than a 9mm. One pull of trigger = 6 - 9mm projectiles if you use 000 shells. Just the sound of a remington 870 being cycled has been known to make bad guys soil their pants. Also, load it with light shot, and over penetration is less of an issue. A handgun actually makes a poor home defense weapon compared to a shotgun, given the numerous advantages tactically and financially.

If legal, have a pistol too. There are applications for that as well. And the Glock is a great pistol. If you are set on a pistol, get the larger frame, unless you have small hands.