1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

glock 17...your honest opinion.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rickinFL, Apr 26, 2012.

1. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Considering my first purchase. Armorer has recommended glock 17. Opinions?

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Best full size 9 mm in the world.. That what i have to say.. Maybe modify the trigger, trigger pull is a little long if you are not used to shoot glock

3. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

If you want the eventually carry it I would recommend you try out the Glock 19. You can use the larger magazines in the 19, but have a somewhat smaller, yet controllable gun with a full hand grip. If it is for competition or range duties the 17 is a good choice.

Goju and Amikeb like this.
  4. Amikeb

Amikeb Loaded Pockets

you are correct, sir.

5. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

6. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I have nothing but good things to say about glocks. I think a Glock should always be something you at least consider. I've owned a sold a 26. A 19 is on my short list of pistols though. The trigger and the sights are what you have to learn. That's not to say they are bad. I prefer 3 dot sights, but I could shoot my Glock fine. The trigger can mess you up if you shoot other guns and your Glock at the same range trip. Some people love them, some hate them but I think deep down everyone respects them. You should be able to rent one for $5 at any range attached to a gun store. Definitely go shoot one. Our recommendations aren't worth anything if it doesn't feel right in your hands.

My recommendations in no order:
    Glock
    Berretta
    Sig

Between those 3 manufacturers you should be able to find a semi auto that feels good. Or will give you a place to start to branch to others. If you mostly like the Glock there are Springfields you could try that are similar for instance.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

7. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

Shoot as many guns as you can first before you spend any money. Weight, size, grip width, action, trigger pull are personal choices. Glocks are affordable, reliable firearms, but I still think they are ugly and I shoot my 1911 better.

If you do buy a glock, stay away from anything with a ported barrel. They foul up terribly and are a pain to keep clean and reliable.

LoneArcher likes this.
  8. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

Glock 17 is a fine choice, though I agree that you may want to consider a G19 if you suspect you might ever want to conceal it.

As others have suggested, it would be a good idea to handle and/or shoot as many different pistols as possible.

Tim

9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I have the Glock 22, which is the same gun as the 17 except chambered for the 40 S&W. It's a great gun and I like the .40 cartridge fine, but if I had it all to do over again I would get the Glock 19. I like the size better and the 9mm is enough firepower for my needs.

10. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I would definitely try to shoot one first.

Not that I'm trying to be a contrarian, but I've never cared for Glocks. I know, I know, they're light, they're accurate, they're reliable, they're indestructible, they make your whites whiter and your teeth cleaner, but something about 'em just doesn't do it for me. I don't mind a long trigger in a double-action revolver, but the Glock trigger just feels awkward, and it hampers my accuracy; and I find a 1911-like grip angle (found on just about every auto except Glock) points much more naturally for me.

In short, YMMV.

LoneArcher likes this.
  11. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I have a 1st generation 17 that I bought new in 1994. I still have it and it still shoots like the day I first put a round through it. Great gun. I would not hesitate to get another glock of any caliber if I was in the market for a new pistol.

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I like the 17 just fine and I have an old 17l. However, I actually prefer the balance/handling of the 19. I bought the 17l first, but later bought the 17 for IDPA competition. I shot fine with it, and then got the 19 for carry. I soon found out I could do just as well with the 19 in IDPA, and it became my full time gun until I went 1911.

13. NCMedic

NCMedic Loaded Pockets

What are your intentions with the pistol?
    Home Defense? Concealed Carry? Range Toy?
    I would think a Glock 17 or a Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm would well serve a new shooter.

Sent from this... Using that...

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...[my] honest opinion"
    Ahhn, a derivative of one of two statements that I absolutely abhorrently detest:
    "I'll be honest with you..."
    Huh, because you've been previously dishonest!
    "Correct me if I'm wrong."
    Please return when you absolutely know what you are talking about.

I have fount the Glock product to be simple and utilitarian; two very good attributes of what I typically require of this firearm. It is akin to my first generation Leatherman Wave that I typically use for a variety of dirty chores that I would not subject my Charge Ti.

If want to introduce someone to the shooting sports, I lend them my Glock to thrash around to become acclimated. When going to the desert plinking with my AR-15, I take the Model 19 in a Miami Classic shoulder holster with with an extended, 17-round magazine in the magazine well and two, extended Model 17 magazines in the carrier. When I need a backup gun that I anticipate handing to someone to back me up, I take the Model 19. My dehorned (insipid trigger guard hook removed) Model 19 resides in my BOB along with the shoulder rig, two more 15-round magazines and 4 50-round boxes of Federal 9BPLE 9mm ammunition.

Compared to my customized, three-inch accurate at 25 yards Browning Hi-Power, the Model 19 is no equivalent; however it is capable of five-inch accuracy at 21-feet at very rapid fire. This is good enough for me and is representative of over a dozen Model 17s that I have worked on.

I had my Model 19 equipped with the 8-lb. Nu-Yauck trigger; one that was originally required on those issued to the NYC Transit Authority officers. That department felt that the short, 3.5-lb trigger was too light and opined that NDs may be eminent. I was not a member of that agency; however, I share their opinion.

My early model Glock's empty magazine does not drop. Although, I prefer my handgun magazines to do so, I will not replace this Model 19 with one that does. I won't buy another Glock.

I once carried my Model 19 in a Mitch Rosen Model ARG IWB holster when I resided in another State. Due to the 19's shorter magazine well and the well-designed holster, concealing it was not a problem; however, the longer Model 17 was problematic.

I never has any problems with feeding any type of ammunition. My current preferred type is the hot Federal and Corbon offerings that typically provide a mean of 1235-1250 fps in the 19's shorter barrel; however, I have measured 1350 fps with my custom loads.

Maintenance is very simple even with detailed stripping; however, it is best to have the armorer training first as I have.

Most of the handguns that I own have a 16-17 degree grip angle that I prefer. The Glock product line has the proprietary 22-degree grip angle that I do not care for. It places my wrist at angle that is not natural for me and this is the major reason that I do not own more Glocks. This grip angle can be adjusted by removing that "bubblegum" compartment that largely creates that angle; however, that customization requires more than fleeting effort. It is not something that I wish to NOT have done on a polymer component of a handgun.

Except for a heavier Wollf recoil spring to accommodate the hot loads that I prefer on this handgun, my Model 19 remains stock. I see no need to add a custom barrel and tritium sights as I have done on my Browning Hi-Power. It would be equivalent to having a spit-shine on gardening boots: it won't improve the functionality.

I acknowledge the efficacy; however, I don't care for polymers on handguns. The Glock's one-piece frame is a model of simplicity; however, it limits my options for grip adjustabilility. I can barely tolerate the plastic grips on those with replaceable panels.

15. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Glock 19. 9mm, good size for carry, plenty of rounds, light rail, and accessory development is good. Plus I can get my whole hand on that gun without any hanging fingers.

Sent from my DROID3

16. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I've never had much of a choice of handgun but went from Browning HPs to Glocks in the early 90's and initially the Glock seemed a huge step down in my hands but then the Browning still had the blade foresight. Fitting an adjustable sight and blade to the Glock made them as near as :censored: it the same for shooting targets. But the issue sights on the Glock were such an improvement for anything dynamic and I suspect that was why they took over. As for relative accuracy the Glock is capable of shooting a 3" group at 100 yards so as always it's never usually an issue of the capability of the handgun but other factors. So as others have said to the OP if you can shoot well with the 17 then that would be the gun for you, in my experience most people can learn to shoot well enough with a 17. I don't know about the current model Browning but back then the Glock was so refreshing in terms of reliability and maintenance that it was easy to see why they made the switch.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...Glock is capable of shooting a 3" group at 100 yards."
    My particular Model 19 is not that capable handheld and with those hot loads. Clamped by a benchrest bolted on a heavy table, using 850 fps 9mm loads, fired in 72-degF, 50-60% RH with little or no wind, my Model 19 would be hard-pressed to achieve 5-inch groups at 20 yards.

Of the Model 17s that I have worked on, none of them would consistently provide better than a 5-inch group at 25 yards under the conditions that I described above. Three-inch groups at 100 yards with of any of the current models including the 35 Gen4 would be simply be amazing so I would like to see evidence because this sounds too good to be true.

18. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for the help. I should have mentioned that this will be strictly an under the bed house protector. Just need to make sure I have the most reliable weapon available to me should the moment present itself. I pray that moment will never come.

Thanks again.

19. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

You will want a light either for your rail, or for your other hand. Must be able to see where we're shooting since we are responsible for projectiles we send downrange.
    Not sure if your state is a prison state like mine, but hopefully you can make use of the standard 17-round mags. I get to make due with 10-rounders.

20. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

Any reason for not getting a HD shotgun or do you really want a pistol?