1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Girly Bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mr.squatch, Nov 18, 2008.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am not that tactical either.

2. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Pink and purple are not my first choices in bag colors. Black is a little too severe. I was never in the military and I don't hunt so carrying or wearing camo anywhere makes me feel ridiculous.

The two bags I carry most often are a tan i-Tour bag from Ampac, which is big enough to stuff an entire rolled-up change of clothing in the main compartment if I need to, and a Boarding Bag from REI.

If Maxpedition made Fatboys or some of their other bags in dark brown, rust (dark orange), burgundy, dark blue, or some other non-military but non-cutesy color(s), I bet they'd find a pretty big, as-yet-untapped female market.

3. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

It peeves me how some retailers and manufacturers market some products in these pastel colors. I mean good quality gear is good quality gear regardless of the color scheme. Most women, from what I have observed, don't like gear in that color scheme and often times look to another brand because of it. Often times my wife will see a jacket or gadget that she likes and will get the same exact one. Despite being 5'1'' (I'm 6'1'') she doesn't want pink or a smaller dainty size. She wants exactly what I want, the gear to perform the way we expect it to perform.

I think you'll find the EDCF members of the fairer sex using the same gear that the men use and like them for the same reason. I'm not knocking the women who like pink EDC gear and the like, but most of us don't realize it, but we expect them to gravitate to that sort of color scheming and sizing. I would think most manufacturer would make more money if they offered more color schemes (flat black, coyote, stainless steel, polished aluminum, etc) instead of offering a a couple models in a gender focused scheme.

Lighter colors and pastels are great for all genders, but we love women for liking that kind of stuff.

Case in point, the character Vasquez from the movie Aliens. She's an @$$kicking character that uses the same exact gear of the men and was portrayed as more capable. I loved that quote in the movie,

Private Hudson: "Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
    Private Vasquez: "No, have you?"

4. carise

carise Empty Pockets

Hm, I carry a Pacsafe CitySafe 200, in black. (I also carry a black Coach purse :p ) I don't think either of them look very tactical. But that's what I think. :)

On a sidenote, I'll wear pink (to a certain extent) but will not accessorize in pink. It's kind of weird, not sure how to explain it... Clothing is okay for different colors (though I try to balance out the "cutesy" (or girly, whichever you prefer) colors with more neutral colors, like khaki/black/white/grey), but for some reason, I just don't like my accessories to look cutesy. I suppose, in a sense, I don't consider my accessories as part of my overall "look" but as an extension of me. That way, I don't have to worry about whether my accessories match my outfit or not... I just pick them up and run with them. (Though no one has ever said accessories have to match... just saying. :) )

5. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Lara Croft doesn't use pink... ;D

6. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

When I was getting PADI certified back in the mid 80's, the local dive shop had a TON of neon pink SCUBA gear. I was standing there one day before class visiting with the instructor and I said, "What idiot would buy this cr@p?" He got this panicked look on his face and didn't say anything. I slowly turned to my right and lo and behold...there was one of the women from my class glaring at me decked out in all neon pink. If looks could kill....well...let's just say that I wouldn't be sitting right here browsing this forum. *sigh* A fellow scuba diver had explained it to me this way. "When you fish...what do you use? You use lures. What are lures? Lures are bright colored things to get the fishes attention. What are sharks? Large fishes." That's why all of my SCUBA gear was flat black. Yes, I know I'm rambling. It's what I do. :idiot2:

7. geekygirl

geekygirl Banned

Its cool to see most of the other women in here shunning pink - personally I cannot stand it, I think of pink as such a 'little girl' colour...that and Barbie dolls..lol :laugh:

I think all women are very different to one another, its really bad when people try to stereotype someones gender around a colour or style of fashion...

Personally I love the 'tacticool' look, but I also used to work with the Army, and still do as a civillian, so for me its nothing new. I prefer the colours of black, khaki green, and blue for clothing and attire. (Lucky for me that my work shirts are all black and black and grey!) Usually the clothes I wear are something along the lines of a decent pair of jeans, con's and a black or dark coloured t-shirt, along with my Pygmy and/or black Timbuk2 bags.

But thats just me, I have 'girly' friends who love all the feminine pink girly look, but they also think the 'tacticool' style gear is very cool! :idiot2:

8. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey Loaded Pockets

I know this is an old thread but came across it in a search and couldn't resist a reply. I think i'm the odd female out here. I love pink so much it is near an obsession lol. I'm far from prissy or the barbie type, but I would love all of my gear to be pink. Too bad i'm not having much luck finding any! My user name is pinkmonkey for crying out loud lol. I guess it goes without saying that I love monkeys too hehe. Especially pink ones :p

ETA: I would give my left arm for the pink spyderco knife :drool:

9. hollywoodb6

hollywoodb6 Loaded Pockets

You can get find pink Spydercos on Amazon.

10. samiam2714

samiam2714 Loaded Pockets

I thought I saw on the video review of the convention that just happened recently the maxpedition was at they had a pink fatboy or jumbo they were showing of as one of the new colors for that line.

11. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Blue Force Gear has a pink/orange/red/blue and black Jedburgh Pack, you can get the Micro Pack in Burgundy/Green/Blue/Bronze and a few other colors. There are some options out there.
    Here is the Jedburgh Pack in Pink:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Women are people? Jon, that's nuts. I thought they were strange, mythical creatures from another planet...

13. inmypocket

inmypocket Empty Pockets

They are strange, mythical creatures at my house... lol.. pink Zebra strips are the intended thing.. roflmbo
    Scott

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

14. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I have to confess something. Although male and therefore not the voice of authority here, I have in the past run my EDC type items/potential purchases past the humans with XX chromosomes when I think the appearance might matter and I've just noted a few things:

1. Not a lot of people, male or female, like pink for pink. Most people will accept pink out of indifference (do you really care if your water bottle is pink for instance) or because they bought a pink thing to benefit cancer research or because there's some advantage to the thing being pink (easier to see or distinguish from other similar objects).

2. There is a certain female attraction to things which are ironically pink in my small sample set, but it's not enough to entice anyone who wouldn't have bought it regardless of its appearance. Handguns, knives, that sort of thing tend to fall in this category. Sometimes a color brings out a person's sense of whimsy. I fall victim to this too, I like blue G10 scales on knives myself.

3. It's not so much what color something is that seems to appeal to them, it's a certain design aesthetic which I cannot even begin to comprehend. This isn't some magical gender related ability, but it seems I do know more women with a sense of this aesthetic than I do men. In fact it'd be tons of fun to meet a woman who didn't have this capability as I don't have it either as it's quite tiring to hear why my shoes are garish. I didn't know or care, and now I know there's something wrong with my personal appearance and I don't understand why, you can't explain it to me concisely, and now I just get to be mental about it for a while until something distracts me and I forget about it.

4. It seems that primary colors are not appealing either, purple orange and green beat out yellow red and blue every time, and brown, white, gray, black, darker shades of red and blue seem to beat them. I also note that patterns seem to rate better than solid colors, but at some point the pattern becomes too ugly and I cannot discern how this happens. I'm quite poor at choosing which patterns of colors "work" apparently and if not for female assistance every garment I owned would be a solid color for fear of my own bad judgment. Interestingly the handful of males I know who seem to have skill in these matters lack the ability to choose patterns correctly as well and also tend toward solid colors. I find this interesting and chalk it up to the people I know being a very small set that isn't a representative sample.

5. It seems some colors are allowed to the male gender almost exclusively by my screeners. Olive drab, ranger green, and for some weird reason some khaki garments/bags but not other khaki garments/bags.

6. If anything is universally reviled, it is anything that's solid satin stainless or black, or anything with a black handle and stain stainless blade/tool/head.

I do not claim to understand any of this, I do not claim it represents anyone's opinion other than the individuals I've gleaned this from, I just find it amusing that others have this sense of color and aesthetic which I cannot fathom to save my life and find it interesting there does seem to be a gender correlation to it in my personal experiences. Why is it that a secondary color seems to get approval, for example, I cannot even begin to tell you.

15. mr.squatch

mr.squatch Empty Pockets

16. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I have a Sister who's an EMT. Her request for Christmas was for me to set her up with a new First Responder bag. I told her I could probably come up with any color she could want, and she simply said. "Black, so I can carry it for work or off duty. (she wants velcro medic and name patches on it so she can take them off when not on duty.) I told her I could get the name tags and make zipper pulls in almost any color scheme as well. Well, My sister is a sports fan and practical as well. "Blue and White. EMT colors and I can always say it represents my NY Yankees as too." Hey, I'm not into sports, so don't know if that's a good thing or not. LOL. But at least no Pink or Purple for Sis.

The gal I live with is the same. I've shown her pics of the pink gripped Kel-Tec pistols and she just shook her head. She did like the purple grips though. She has a purple laptop and a purple cover on her Kindle. However, when I offered to order her a Covrt 18 for Christmas she said she liked the subdued black and slate color. Right now she's carrying a Swiss Gear Scan Smart Pack in Black and Gray that she picked out. So no bright girly bags in the house yet.

17. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

18. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

The "gender colors" appears to be a post-ww2 creation. Before then, parents would dress both genders the same for the toddler years. I think there is at least one photo around of a US president at that age, in a white dress with lace trim.

19. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

My grandfather was born in 1895, I have seen a picture of him, dressed as described above.

20. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets