1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gifted some knives. Here's what happened.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BubbaFett, Dec 26, 2013.

1. kingston73

kingston73 Loaded Pockets

I've seen a few blades in bad shape but that one is by far the worst I've ever seen!

Darth_Firebolt and BubbaFett like this.
  2. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

I think we as a society have gotten away from using dangerous things as everyday tools. Even when I was a kid most moms knew how to use knives because they were familiar with them in the kitchen, preparing meals, etc. Today we go out to eat alot or prepare ready made foods in the oven or microwave and there is no need to do much cutting. Most kids knew how to use knives becuase they'd grab one and go out into the woods and play around, hopefully after a good long talk on knife safety from Dad before they were cut loose. For instance I lent my Spyderco Chaparral to a friend at church one day to cut something,like a thread off her shirt or maybe it was to open a box, I can't remember exactly what, but in less than 5 seconds she had cut herself, even after I told her to be careful because I keep my knives sharp.

3. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

UPDATE: Happy to report my brother's Kershaw is still in good condition and properly sharpened! He is now using it for EDC along with a keychain light that our mom gave him. Progress...

Gallows and callforfire like this.
  4. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

That is good news. Abused blades make me ill.

Gravy and BubbaFett like this.
  5. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

I gifted my brother a SAK, he is leaving it at home, beside his bed (???). I gifted my father a classic, he is leaving it at home (where he has ten times better tools for doing anything a classic can do)... Nah, I don't gift knives anymore :p

From now on, only my daughters are getting a SAK each when I feel they are old enough (6 and 4 now) to understand the importance of safety. The good thing is that they already want one after living how their dad is doing all these amazing things with his. I sometimes even leave them use the scissors of mine under strict supervision. The older one wants a pink one and the younger one wants a blue :)

6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Hmm, you'd guess they do but the average Swiss is same scared about sharp knives like people everywhere these days. I was so surprised that here in the land of SAKs people, even elder ones, freak out when you edc a knife, like I'd go Amok every second. Till the 70s-80s it was normal for every boy and man (and some females) to carry a "Sackmesser", that has changed like everywhere else. By the way, I must add that I work in an orthopedics company where it's normal to use sharp tools to cut anything from leather to plastics, but still a little SRM 710 puts the sweat on their foreheads...

BubbaFett and mole like this.
  7. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

How strange! I would've guessed that pretty much every Swiss person would carry at least a SAK… like a national pride thing. Then again, they also have some great gun manufacturers I suppose...

Just to update you all: the Swiss cutlery proved a big hit. Mom managed to add three more cuts with the 'butter knives'. But she does love them so much, she stopped using the old knives completely :D

Better keep a well stocked first aid kit in the kitchen from now on.

BubbaFett and Adahn like this.
  8. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

The black blade is from my first LM wave, which I still carry to this day. (yes, I replaced the blade) Sitting next too a new blade for example.
    [​IMG]

BubbaFett likes this.
  9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I gifted a Kershaw Cryo to my nephew. He seemed happy with it. I haven't heard of any tales of woe so I'm guessing it wasn't a problem for him. He's got other knives and multi-tools so hopefully he knows what they do.

BubbaFett likes this.
  10. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I learned that when you gift a knife then it cuts the friendship so gift something with it that you can cut together, a fruit, bread, someone's finger, etc...

BubbaFett likes this.
  11. Batsy

Batsy Loaded Pockets

I meet a guy on the AT once that showed me a gnarly scar on his hand. Apparently he tripped holding his spork and it went clean through his hand. Officially the only guy i've met to hurt himself with a spork.

Gah, my Leek got me the other morning. Poked myself through my jeans and it was still clean enough to bleed without feeling it.

swany66675 and BubbaFett like this.
  12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Last week I sharpened my SRM 710 on the buffing wheel on job. When it's so polished it's always hard to say if it's really sharp or not.
    Cut some cardboard later and accidently cut into my left index finger on tor of the 2nd phalanx. It was such a clean cut that an hour later it looked as if I'd have used superglue on it. Hmm, guess the cheap 8Cr13MoV got sharp enough...

warchild and BubbaFett like this.
  13. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

I was in a kitchen store, looking at the Globals (because every a Global I own is far better than its Wüsthøff counterpart), and there were two ladies looking at some more expensive kitchen cutlery.

One says to the other, "Oh, I keep my kitchen knives dull so I won't get hurt."

I just about had an aneurism, I tell you what. I kept my mouth shut, though, in the hopes that Darwinism would do its thing.

BubbaFett likes this.
  14. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The pool of "competent adults" seems to be less crowded everyday.

15. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

The sad part is, all that wasted metal and I bet it wasn't very sharp in return.

BubbaFett likes this.
  16. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

Oh I know that feeling - people look at me like I've grown two heads when I tell them that a sharp knife is safer then a dull knife. It's all about force. The less force used for a cut, the less risk of slipping, accidental stabbing or blades closing when they shouldn't. There's a reason we do surgery with scalpels instead of butter knives.

BubbaFett likes this.
  17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Other way around. When someone gives a knife, the recipient makes a "payment" of some kind. That neutralizes the "cutting off friendship" hoodoo by turning it into a transaction, which is okay. The first I heard about this was a few years ago when reading an article about a visit to M. Kalashnikov, he the famous gun designer, by a delegation who presented him with a commemorative knife (I forgot whose, maybe Buck.) He responded by digging into his pocket and producing a coin which he gave in return with that explanation.

Jramirez9083 likes this.
  18. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

No wonder all my patients complain!:eek: I must have missed that lecture in med school. How embarrassing, especially after having just recently been informed that it is considered nice to wash your hands before an operation, if they are dirty.

Thanks for the heads up :) .

Gravy likes this.
  19. certifiednut

certifiednut Loaded Pockets

i think that is what he was saying. when you give the knife, also give them a penny, and with that penny, they can pay you for the knife.

20. mhale1500

mhale1500 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Leatherman = 2, me and the wife = 0 :censored:

I slipped cleaning the extra black off of it when I got it, my wife had jokes all day until I ran into the local pharmacy to get my little girl some bandaids (unrelated accident) and asked my wife to hold my wave. When I came back, she had her thumb in her mouth! Karma..... :rofl:

That serrated blade is a beast!

KODIAKman and warchild like this.