1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gifted some knives. Here's what happened.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BubbaFett, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

For Christmas I gifted three knives. Two of them cut themselves within a couple of days and told me, "Hey, that knife is sharp!" My sister even took away the one I gave her husband :rolleyes_revamped: I told her he isn't likely to do it again now! But apparently he has a history... maybe he's better off?

The third I gave to my brother after he showed me the Wingman I gave him last year (my Sidekick's blade for comparison):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I freaked out about how much of the blade was gone he explained how he used "some spinning thing" to sharpen it at work. I figured, at least he's using it, and I got him a Kershaw Needs Work & a sharpener as an early gift. Seems to be working out.

Anyone else got stories?

Batsy, kertap75 and warchild like this.
  2. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

My reply would've been "we'll no :censored: it's sharp!"

3. rje58

rje58 Loaded Pockets

With the new Nanny State world we live in, people no longer expect knives to be sharp. [sarcasm] The guvment should protect them from cutting themselves! [/sarcasm off]

Batsy and Bobby Pin Ninja like this.
  4. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Better stick to giving plastic knives out next year lol

Gravy and Highway9 like this.
  5. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

I say a knife isn't really "yours" yet until you cut yourself with it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm trying to work people into being a little more prepared. The good news is that I've got my mom interested in multi-tools and some sort of BOB.

I hear that a lot but I rarely cut myself even with a new knife (although I did poke myself with my Leek). If I do, it's just a scratch, these were a little more serious (bandages required).

SurvivePenna and Lou_G like this.
  7. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

perhaps you should give First Aid kits out with the knives?
    ...or maybe just First Aid kits (by the looks of that poor blade).

BubbaFett and Gallows like this.
  8. me_john85

me_john85 Loaded Pockets

I got my sister in law a Pink Ontario Rat 2 for Christmas and I was flipping it before I wrapped it and ended up cutting myself with it. I told her I broke it in for her.

9. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice to get other people involved in edc. I gave my son a knife for Christmas and he was using my MUT and thought he should have one of those as well. He may or may not be surprised on his birthday in three weeks.

BubbaFett likes this.
  10. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

I almost always give out a few knives for Christmas. This year my dad got a Mira companion and my mom got a Hori-Hori? knife. It's cool you gave gifts that are important to you.

SurvivePenna, BubbaFett and warchild like this.
  11. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

I enjoy giving knives and multitools and like it when they are used and appreciated. I prefer them being used as opposed to. What my Brother inlaw does, he puts them in a draw because they are too nice to use! Me thinks he is a bit nervous around knives.

BubbaFett likes this.
  12. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

When I gift knives, I put 3 band-aids in the box. Started doing that after giving SAKs to all the other boys in my son's scout group. Even after all the safety training and getting everyone their whittlin' chips, I still got calls from irrational soccer moms. Next scouts meeting I gave each boy 3 band-aids. Plan A, Plan B, and a third for your buddy.

A knife is simple, using it ain't.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

BubbaFett likes this.
  13. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

We all got knives for Christmas. I got the Spyderco Street Beat, DH got himself a CRKT Dragon, the girls got Spyderco Ladybugs, and our son got a Spyderco Persistence. :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

PPCApache likes this.
  14. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Hah! I might steal that.

15. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

Haha, yeah, I always warn people about how sharp knives actually can be. I occasionally hand others a knife to check out. I don't let them use it without giving 'the speech' about proper cutting and the warning about sharpness. Even a relatively non-threatening knife like the Victorinox Spartan can get scary sharp with some sharpening. You'll be bleeding all over yourself before you know you've had an accident.

Sadly most people seem used to dull blades like a butter knife. I recently purchased a set of Victorinox cutlery and it was as sharp as anything I've ever tried. I had to warn people not to do something stupid like stick it in their mouth. And yet, my mother managed to cut herself two times already… Mind you, these aren't special steak knives or high end kitchen knives… just regular use-it-to-put-butter-on-your-toast knives. The Swiss apparently like sharp things.

Thank god I usually avoid the getting cut with your own knife initiation. I did recently slip with a ZT0561 that needed sharpening. Poked just above the nail on my index finger and bled like a stuck pig. I always keep a first aid kit handy, so it's all good.

Adahn and microbe like this.
  16. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Be sure to give them a penny when you gift a knife.

warchild likes this.
  17. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I went through that giant collection of little SD's I have and handed a few of them out for the holidays. They were a big hit and I made room on the display bench for my ZTs and Ontarios.

18. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I guess I don't get it. Why a penny ?

19. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

More of a superstition. Gifting any sharp (or a hanky) was associated with bringing pain (or tears). Giving a penny back meant "paying" for the item negating the bad juju.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Adahn likes this.
  20. Bobby Pin Ninja

Bobby Pin Ninja Loaded Pockets

My dad was the first one to give me the knife safety speech, back when I was about 5 years old. A few months ago, my wife gave me a Blackhawk CQD Mark I Type E for my birthday. The next time I was at my parents' house, I handed it to Dad to look at. A minute later, I turned around to find him with his finger in his mouth. I said, "Did you seriously just cut yourself?" I had to make fun of him, at least a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPCApache and Cobra 6 Actual like this.