1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gift ideas for employees

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Jdjernigan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

Each year I have tried to buy my staff (14 employees) a generally cool and kinda EDC gift and I need some ideas for this year. They are Security Officers and most are former LEO, Corrections, and Military but I have several that are college students. The first year they got RTIC tumblers because that was the cool gift idea that year. The next year they got Ravpower 6700mah portable chargers. Last year they got Gerber Suspension multitools.

I am looking for a $10-$15 budget range but absolutely nothing over $20.

Some of my ideas are:
    $20 Anker LC40 rechargeable flashlight
    $9 Nitecore Tube
    $10 Maglite Solitaire LED Flashlight
    $14 Thrunite Ti3 Flashlight
    $9 Adventure Medical Kit .3
    $20 Refillable notebook (uses the mini marble composition books)
    $13 Rite in the Rain Clicker Pen

What are some of your ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Treya, Gary Gross, garza and 3 others like this.
  2. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Without advice, just want to say it is good karma to do as you do.

Gary Gross likes this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Hopefully, since they are Security Officers, they all EDC some kind of flashlight, Even if they do, I like the idea of a small AAA light for convenience and back up. The Tube, Solitaire and Ti3 are all good choices. I'll add the Fenix E01 (long runtime) and the Olight i3EOS (90 lumens and very small). I like to watch for these during Black Friday sales events. I've found Klarus Mi02's (Fenix 01 copies) for $4 and i3EOS's for $7. Even without a discount, there are several good choices for around $10.

And, I agree with @GoBliNuke ... nice of you to think of your employees!

Gary Gross likes this.
  4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nitecore tubes are pretty cool. I'm giving those this year. I have one but have never really used it. hahahaha

5. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

How about some keychain pocket tool or maybe a Vic Classic. You have hundreds of Classics to choose from for each person's interests, if you choose to go that route.

You could choose the scales, based on the person's likes.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  6. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The Nitecore Tube paired with a Fisher Eclipse keeps you right at $20/head.
    (The Eclipse can be found on Amazon for near/sub $10 btw)

Light and write...a nice combo IMO.

Good on you for whatever you choose and Happy Holidays

Gary Gross likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Kudos from me also for your doing right by your staff.

Given that they are in the security field - with some potential for hazards -- maybe a gift certificate for $20 for either a 'dog tag' style or 'bracelet' style MedicAlert tag? They have classic ones in both styles at $19.99 - I just checked. Even for someone who does not have a medical condition requiring special meds (heart, bp, diabetes, etc.), the wearer's basic info such as blood type and so forth are available to first responders 365/24/7. MedicAlert is a non-profit and was the first organization maintaining databases and providing these sort of tags.

I can tell you from first hand experience that wearing one of these ABSOLUTELY can save one's life!

You wouldn't be the one deciding which style to wear nor providing the info to MedicAlert. Each employee would do it themselves.

Note that price I mentioned includes a one year subscription to services. Here is a link: https://www.medicalert.org/product/catalog/medical-ids

Disclosure: I am not connected in any way to MedicAlert.org except as a subscriber myself!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Jdjernigan and Gogogordy like this.
  8. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I would totally get a flashlight for your staff. I would not gift anything connected with injuries like medi kits.

Don't buy the Anker LC40. While a USB rechargeable light 18650 is a great gift, this one has the terrible User Interface where you HAVE to ciycle through strobe and SOS. These modes need to be hidden or accessible via shortcuts like double click or long press. Everyone hates that UI. Show that you are a man of culture and stay away from that. As an alternative, maybe check out the Wowtac A1, it has a battery with built in USB charging and a much more sensible user interface and costs only about 20$ on amazon. It is not true on-board charging, though. you have to take out the battery to charge it with a regular usb cable. It is convenient to not need a dedicated 18650 charger, but true on-board charging would be even more convenient. But for that price, the wowtac A1 with included battery is unbeatable at that pricepoint as of november 2018. The Wowtac A2 is equally good at the same price, but is a headlamp (can be used as normal light, too).

The trend for on-board charging of 18650 is strong at the moment, and people say some good 18650 lights are being developed. Maybe wait a year until all the major companies released some good models with great tints and interfaces at good prices and gift some small AAA edc lights first and keep the big rockets for next year. makes sense, doesn't it?

The Nitecore Tube is cool, but is made of plastic and has build in batteries, so it will end in the trash sooner or later. The Maglite Solitaire is an obvious choice, because everybody thinks Maglite=Flashlight, but times have changed and there are much better options these days.

The Thrunite Ti3 is a very, very good flashlight, I have the stainless version and it is of great quality and looks and feels great and the light color is pleasant. It is nice to have a little weight in these little lights. It comes in a small altoids sized metal box, which is nice for a present. I would totally recommend it to flashlight people, but for the average user however I suggest something else. The Ti3 always starts in Firefly Mode (that is dimmer light than Moonlight, like 0.04 lumen) and while I like that, some might find that not very useful. And it is a twisty. The clip is not too trustworthy like on many AAA lights, but It works fine as a keychain light though.

I have 3 suggestions, all different, all good, all clickies :)

Check out the Zanflare F3, it is AAA, has 3 modes and true mode memory, which is pretty unusual for AAA lights, so that's the cool thing. and is a clicky. and it has some nice unusual spiraled knurling. Might be all around more useful with modes 3-35-150 lumen. and as said, it has mode memory. around 10$ or less. Favorable reviews from flashlight enthusiasts on the web. This is probably very practical and good for everybody. set your preferred mode and you are good to go.

And then there is the Lumintop tool AAA with clicky switch. Has been around for a few years and flashies like it because it has a great tint and can be fed 10440 batteries, to make it even brighter. Comes in all kinds of different metals, also unsual stuff like copper and brass, so you can get something more special. It is a good llght with a great tint from Nichia LEDs. It always starts in medium mode. some like that, some not. cost 15-20$.. Gifting this light will show that you have taste in nice natural white tints and you can get special metals for your employees, which is always cool.

another good option: the new Olight I3T EOC for about 20$. Has a very useful two way clip (for easy clipping to hats to use as a headlight without taking the clip off and turning it, just like the streamlight microstream, so that's cool) and a low mode of 5 lumen and a high of 180 lumen. Tailclick. Comes on in low, another tap and you get super bright. AFAIK there's nothing brighter than this on an AAA light today. Very sensible no-nonsense light with long runtimes on low (5 Lumens don't sound much, but is plenty light for close up stuff when it is dark) and the impressive high mode is just a tap away. That one is a 2018 release, so it is unlikely that a lot of people already have one. Simple and useful. Also nice unusual knurling.

Let us know what you will get!

Last edited by flux, Nov 5, 2018
    #8 flux, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. Moshe ben David

@Jdjernigan: @flux makes an interesting point about the Nitecore Tube being plastic wrt the eventual day when these lights will no longer hold a charge, resulting in an item which will live eternally in a trash dump without decomposing etc for eternity...

Nitecore has come out with several descendants of the venerable Nitecore Tube. One of them, which is much smaller, is the TINI, which does come in a stainless steel body. These are pricier of course than the Tube IIRC; there is also a a version with a copper body. So I'm not really suggesting these as employee gifts, but just thought I'd bring them to all y'all's attention. One of the neat things about these smaller (physically) units is they would possibly serve as neck lights... They also give higher output than the original Tube.

I guess I just hijacked the thread, didn't I? Oops. ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Jdjernigan

Thanks for all the input. I found a really good deal on the Nitecore Tubes (before reading the posts above) and ordered a bunch of those. I had good experiences with the Tube and will roll with that purchase. I do have some family and friends to pick out gifts for so I will consider the other options.

After the purchase of the Tubes, I still have about $13 to spend on each of my employees.

Moshe I like the idea about the medical ID. I have one from a company called RoadID. That may go on my list for next year.

I also like the idea of the classic SAK. I have a bulk pack of used SAK’s that are probably from TSA and I have been giving away to people I meet that need a knife. I was pricing and I could buy another bulk pack and get them for about $3 each. A little time and love into them and they would make good additions without a huge expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.
  11. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

yeah, spend the 13$ on Vic classics. Pairs great with the keychain lights you already got.

12. Moshe ben David

Nitecore Tubes are classic and with good reason.

Keep in mind regarding medical ID that there are now a plethora of outfits marketing these things. At the local CVS for example I think I've seen as many as half a dozen brochures...

Thing about MedicAlert is that (a) I believe they invented this; (b) in existence now since 1956 as a bona fide charitable membership based organization. They even have affiliates in I believe 9 other countries at present. From my talking with a few EMT sorts, they well know both the organization logo, where to look on a person for a neck tag or bracelet, and how to interact with the organization to get the info needed.

MedicAlert is up and running for first responders 365/24/7.

I am an enthusiast; it has saved my life already. I don't know how all the clones stack up....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

twin63 likes this.
  13. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I'm planning on getting my coworkers some doohickey keychains. About 4 bucks each and pretty useful.

Jdjernigan and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

Rat TQ? About $17.
    Adventure Medical 1.0 kit for small ouchies about $14.
    Buy a big box of RiteInTheRain pens about $6 each.
    Buy a bigger box of RITR small memo books about $4 each.

Personally for my tech coworkers I used to go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buyout their sale box items. Hammers, tape measures, small screwdriver kits, coin lights, NiteIze screwdriver pry tools... all under $10 and lots about $5.

15. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Fisher Bullet Pen? About $18 in the US I believe?

16. Jdjernigan

I’ve decided to not do pens because I provide them decent quality pens (Pilot Easy Touch, one of my favorite ballpoint pens) and have to buy quite a few boxes each month.

I am going to order a large quantity of the Rite in the Rain notebooks for them to have as their standard issue so I have that covered.

All great ideas, thank you for sharing and keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk