1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ghosts

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by JonSidneyB, Dec 8, 2009.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There are Ghosts where I live. Just confirmed this moment :p

2. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Something like:
    [​IMG]?
    :laugh:

(screencap from the movie Ghost, for those that don't know ;))

3. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

There are ghosts everywhere, you just can't see them!

4. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Better call TAPS or the Ghost Adventurers so they can run around your house with the lights off yelling "What was that" and "Shhhh" and whatever else stupid crap they do.

5. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

??? what ???

and what do they edc? :p

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

ok ok, I pulled another 30 hour day and am hearing things

7. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

Anyone else ever hear the theory that the past, the present and the future are all going on at the same time, and what we think are ghosts are just people from their respective timelines that have somehow 'phased' through into our own? I was intrigued when I read about that one.

Believe it or not--I believe in ghosts. I'm with you Jon.

8. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Are you sure they're ghosts and not gremlins? I have gremlins. They love to steal small things I set down, remove them from my sight while I look around for them, and then put them back right in plain view where I left them. Usually after about 15 minutes or so. I'm looking for an exterminator, but nobody handles gremlins around here.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

According to Jim you are describing mosquito demons.

10. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

LOL, you are very right! Every time there is a smidgen or a beginning of a noise they completely drown it out or disturb it. That does bother me. Plus, how Ghost Hunters International assume that when they are out there investigating all the ghosts understand English. Speak spanish to ghosts in spain and Czech to ghosts in the Czech Republic...not English!! :knuppel2:

Jon good luck with the ghosts. I had one in my apartment while I was schooling down in Mexico. My roommate would often think I was still in the apartment and start talking to the ghost (the conversation was one way!) and have a little freak out when I would walk through the door.

11. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Speaking of Ghost Hunters International. Anyone know or recognize Angela?

She's my sister in-law. The GHI team are a cool group of people, I got to attend an event they did at the "Cuban Club" in Ybor city, near Tampa, Fl. No 'activity' by my account but it was still a cool experience. I've heard some voices and replies to questions recorded on tape in this location from different dates. Cool and almost scary stuff.

About the language barrier. It's expensive and complicated to hire/work with translators in a situation like 'ghost hunting'. They do it, but it's hard to be perfect. The GHI team are a group of regular (well, kinda) people, like you and I. Except they've basically got a hobby (they get paid for) on TV. Most all of the equipment is owned by team members.

I'm still on the fence about ghosts. I've got a few theories about existence but I've seen/heard a fair amount of evidence to convince me that there is a lot going on (that we don't understand) within what is considered our reality.

12. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

That is pretty cool....I associate on a web forum with people that are related to people that are on t.v shows. Anybody know kevin bacon? :lolhammer:

This is the type of thing that my wife doesn't find funny...thanks for filling that void folks ;D

13. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Too many personal experiences to say there are no such thing as ghosts. Both my experiences and my kids'. Where I live now there is a mischievous little fellow that pops up from time to time. Just looks around the corner to see if I am paying attention and then disappears. Makes me get up and look to see if it is one of my sons. Never is. They are always gone to school or a friends house. I think he makes some of the noises that we hear at night. My youngest has a fear of the dark that I also attribute to the little ghost. Never was afraid of the dark before we moved in, but he loved flashlights even then :)

14. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

So Jon, does sleeping behind the couch seem to help?

15. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Personally I have seen enough unexplained phonomenon to write a decent sized book, more than a few "shared" experiences as well.
    But my post is more to the point of "ghost hunters"
    See, Im a camera guy.... I was hired once to shoot a ghost documentary in Colorado. Guy from Iowa won the lotto and wanted to blow it investigating "ghosts".

So first thing he does is go out and find the most popular local ghost hunter... first mistake. Within a week of shooting the ghost hunter and his groupies have written themselves into a contract stating they are now co-producers of the movie and get around 20% of proceeds. At that point I hadn't seen any ghosts on set but I sure smelled something rotten.

So we proceed to shoot at several different prominent locations, many well known haunted homes and venues around Denver and around the mountians. Some I found active (an old theater in Central City where Wyatt Earp once danced) some weren't (an old brownstone converted to law offices in Capitol Hill) some were down right creepy and oppressive (the Croke Patterson Mansion...wont get me in that place again!)

All personal observations aside, whether or not there was Juju goin' down, the ghost hunter schmuck and his minions were playing it up something fierce.

The ever present "orbs" (which I proved to be dust reflecting...aka step out side, take a control shot with the camera...no orbs, then rub my hands in dust and clap...POOF! Instant Orb Orgy! ( Did I mention I eventually got fired from this project? Hmmmm :) )

Another great gag was the ever present "EVP" otherwise known as record conversation with a hand recorder, downloaded into a laptop for playback but having the audio filtered through a fun program mysteriously labled "EVP maker" - http://www.stefanbion.de/evpmaker/index_e.htm - that waits for gaps in the conversation and then randomly samples bits and pieces from preloaded recordings set up by the user and the playing back snippets at random speeds, backward ect...( this one took a while between me and the sound guy to nail but he made a mistake and left the room for a while without turning of his computer first... was right on his desktop!

But the best was "THE BOX"

This was basically an old computer box that was "created by" some super genius guy and of which there were only 2 in existance (hmmm) that basically was a "radio to the dead". It was a radio alright, much like the evp maker...it waited for gaps in conversation and then spat out small samples of AM radio. Was quite hilarious when the ghost hunter asked... "are you a scared little girl" to the susposed angry ghost, to which the box replied with cryptic dates and a location or two...there was much rejoicing as the G.H. stated it was absolute concrete evidence she was "trying to reach out to us". Imagine my grin when the dates started to materialize into a more solid audiable list of upcoming Rockies games...at which point there was a sudden outbusrt of "attacks" on one of his team members (his "mother" that very convieniently distracted everyone away from "the box and its malfunction".) Apparently ghosts have a sense of humor or so he stated. Yeah right...and they lovea good ball game too.

Sure enough we later filmed one of the groups "haunted tours" where they led 30 people who were paying more than $200 each to recieve a crap $5 palm recorder and to be lead around the attic of some older hotels...big business indeed. Totally disgusting and it was with great relief that I was let go because of my "inability to be a contributing team member" (they didn't like my basic and obviously logical explainations to most of their "phenomenon")

Now... this isnt to say that all ghost hunters are bad... I personally like the TAPS guys...I've seen a few episodes where they have nothing to report. They seem fairly realistic in their approach and sometimes even spot obvious trickery on the part of the property owners (see the Queen Mary episode).

But some of thier outings are fairly dead on, if only from my own experience...

Ok so I mentioned I could write a book, not that I ever intend to so rest assured I'm not trying to drum up business like many of these people... but in the interest of tying up a long post and giving props to TAPS here goes:

The Stanley hotel:

I worked there for a time as a housekeeper... needed a job and wanted to get out of Denver for the season... Up to the hills with my then wife to make beds, fluff pillows and pick pubic hairs off of toilet seats...

Anyway, fairly early on we got wind of the properties "History". The Shining was susposedly based off the hotel. Stephen King stays there often for inspiration... alot of murders ect...

Well anyway on a near daily basis while making rooms I experienced very strange things indeed. a few more prominent examples:

Doors closing with no apparent wind (even had a closet door close in on itself... Door to the room was closed and the windows shut... that thing just SLAMMED right behind me. Freakin creepy! ) Hot spots, cold spots (like 20 degree drops instantly) purfumes spots...hidden passeges, the pet cemetary... the list goes on.

Made a room up, did the beds ect... went 5 feet out the door to my cart to get towels, was gone maybe 30 seconds MAX (more like 20) came back in and the room was Thrashed, Im talking pillows out of pillow cases, covers across the room, the bottom sheet was on the other side of the room from the top sheet. there is NO way anyone could have gotten past me into that room, there was definetly no one in it and there really wasnt enough time for the amount of mess to have taken place with only one person. I cannot explain this one at all.

It was fairly well known that the top floor of the hotel was the worst...so bad that the present management only put "non believers" up there (they were ever so smooth in asking off hand what peole though of ghosts and the hotels history). Turnover on that floor was high... had a couple of normally happy people quit and just leave. So on one such occasion I get sub duty and have to cover the top floor as well.

So all the guest there for a wedding are off at rehearsal, no one on the floor, Im in the hall at the main set of suites and I hear water running through the door. I pass it on for a room but about 5 minutes later I pass by again, Water sounds still coming from behind the door. Im starting to think the tub water was left on and am worried that it'll overflow. I knock...no answer. I knock again louder -"Housekeeping!!" -No answer, and I can still hear a substantial amount of water running. I put my ear to the keyhole (oldschool type) and yes the water is definetly running in the room. I use the key to let myself in and as soon as the door is opened there is complete silence. No one is home. I check the bathroom and its bone dry. Creepy. OK so maybe it was a trick of sound coming from the next suite over... I knock there as well...no answer, I go in...Unoccupied and dry as well. This one made me feel wrong as well.. I felt I should leave, Which I did.

A month of so later my wife was making up a room on that floor and got so freaked out about "Feeling someone was right there" that she refused to make up the room and told management they had to get someone else to do it. This was in the very same room that the TAPS guy slept in, in which his glass was caught on camera shattering in the middle of the night and in which the closet opened repeatedly on camera (a totally normal occurance there btw)... man i could go on and on... but thats enough.

SOOO anyway. Yeah strang crap happens, Most ghost hunters are slimeballs, but some are cool... I now digress.

16. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Can he recommend a good repellant? They're annoying the doody out of me.

17. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, I have the gitchies whenever I walk into a haunted place. My brother feels them too, he just honeymooned in a haunted bed and breakfast in Sedona, where his Indonesian wife felt them too.
    I grew up in a haunted house in South Pasadena California, and there are tons of haunted places here in Tucson. I am drawn to reading about spooks, but they really can creep me out when they come around. True hauntings seem rare, where the ghost is aware of what is going on around them, but many "hauntings" are merely replays of psychic recordings, one can not interact with the apparitions.
    I have had several true haunting experiences, I think it;s cuz we are Scots/Irish, and Celts seem to have a thinner veil between the worlds of living and dead for some reason.
    what are you feeling /hearing, etc.?

18. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Never thought about the blood thing but my name is Shawn and I am a nordic mutt. Hmmmm.

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Back in the '80s I used to keep my horses at a place called Hangrove Valley Farm in Downe, Kent. Not far from where Charles Darwin lived.
    Well the track down into the farm led from the top of Hangrove Hill a road so named so the story goes because the was at one time a cross roads there where Highwaymen etc were hanged.

The track going down had thick brush on the left and a steep drop into a dell on the right, it was way out in the sticks and as black as pitch at night and the locals all reckoned it was haunted. Apparently the place was the scene of an accident where a coach was pulled off the track by the horses which were spooked by something they ran to the right and the coach went down into the dell and rolled over killing the coachman and severing his head in the process, it was him that was supposed to haunt the track.

I kept my horses there for over 4 years and I reckon in winter time when it was too slippery to get a trailer down there at night after a show I have probably walked or ridden my horses down there in the dark and walked back up on my own dozens of times and I seem to be the only one that has never had a problem with some kind of presence there. Call me a cynic but I have spent enough time creeping around in the bushes trying to shoot things at night to know when there is a field mouse,rat hedgehog or a fox etc making a little rustling in the brush and when it is something else.
    Windy nights the horses would always be spooky in the dark or in woods and brush in the day, it's because they are flight animals ready to run at the slightest sign of danger not because as others have said, that they have extra senses.
    I guess the alternative is because Though I Walk in the Valley of the Shadow of the Headless Coachman, I Will Fear no Evil. Because I'm the Meanest, Most Unpleasant Bugger in the Valley!
    I believe in things that go bump in the night but nothing that I can't shoot , hit, cut or run away from.
    We need a cynical smiley!

20. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I never saw ghosts and I don't know of anybody seeing such things.However I've had dreams with images from the future that came true-brief images that appeared during my dreams and that I recognized later when the situation depicted in the dream happened.These dreams are very rare, so...anxiously awaiting a new premonition.It's been 2-3 years since the last.