1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GHB Recommendations? Bag Search 2018!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by sarxsvt, Apr 10, 2018.

1. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a trunk bag/get home bag; whatever you prefer to call it!
    Generally looking for a bag to reside in the back of my SUV, I think I've successfully narrowed it down but I always like to ask in case I may have missed something that I would like better!

Requirements/Size Info:
    I'm a big guy, 6'4" 24" Torso (yes, I'm all torso =/ 30" inseam) with a big chest (54") so I'm looking for something comfortable first and foremost.
    I prefer longer packs versus wider because I feel like they ride better and don't look quite as awkward as a very short backpack on my long torso. I started my search looking for packs that are at a minimum 20" long.
    I'm looking for between 20-30L in size. I've got about a 13 mile hike home which I did a few times last year as a test.
    I'm carrying a small fire kit, small cook kit (750ml titanium pot, small stove, isobutane cell), a couple mountain house meals incase I have to spread the journey over 2 days depending on when I started, water bottles, flashlight, blanket, hex tarp, hiking poles, etc.
    I would prefer non-obvious military coloring. IE NOT multicam, but this won't be a deal breaker. (Pref: Gray, Foliage, Green, something woodsy/hikery)
    Price Range ... upper limit is $400. I would prefer to spend in the $200 range but I would like a quality piece of kit that doesn't die in a few years.

Packs I'm considering:
    The current front runner: HPG Umlindi. Their harness system looks amazing, it also looks like it would let the pack rider lower for me, in fact they even advertise that as a selling point.

Other packs still in the running:
    Eberlestock Little Brother: I've tried this one at the local store. Feels ok without weight, felt better with some weight in it to settle it down. Probably in position #2 for me at the moment.

GoRuck GR1 26L: I had an original GR1 many many years ago and didn't find it to be comfortable, but it looks like they've changed their design a bit, also offering the larger size in the GR1. I'm concerned though because their design is to ride high and tight on your back which is not my preference.

Something in the Mystery Ranch line? The Front looks like it might be a contender. Not sure about their fixed harness. I had a Big Sky I used for many years until I gave it away in the past. It had the futura harness system in which felt great. Looks like that's not available on many models however and none that particularly caught my eye size wise.

Packs I've ruled out:
    Rush 24/72. Did not feel good at all. Harness system does not work for me, straps felt awful.

Anyone have any suggestions of other packs to consider for this purpose before I pull the trigger on the HPG pack?

Or any general comments about the HPG system?

Thanks for the input!

2. Boarhunterward

Boarhunterward Empty Pockets

I use an Umlindi for hiking/camping. The harness system is insanely comfortable. Be sure to look up the videos on YouTube about adjustment.

3. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I have a Camelbak TriZip. That thing has tons of space, easy to get to the stuff I need and is super comfortable to carry heavy loads long distances. I also happen to have an extra one to sell..... ;)

4. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

I'll be watching with interest, My Torso is an inch longer, and I have a 60 inch chest. I'm still looking for a smaller pack. Osprey Aether XL is one of the few packs which address long torso individuals needs for larger capacity very happy with the one I have. I'm definitely no expert.

If you have time, post up your decision, and how it works out for you.

Since Camelbak's futura harness has been mentioned, I'll state my finds with it. Carry's well enough with lightish loads, the harness on it is not made to extend far enough to make use of the belt for long/xlong torsos, nice pack otherwise. From what I've read it uses rough equivalent to medium MR Futura. I've not used an XL Mystery Ranch though suspect it would be very nice, and according to specs quite capable to be used by longer torso folks, it is on my list to try.

My only experience with HPG is a Tara, the harness worked great for me, and was comfortable even with my 21" neck. Sold it though as it looked sort of comical on my back and was a bit small for my needs, even as strictly a day pack. The Umlindi is also on my try list if I get a chance. I suspect it would work very well with moderate to heavy load outs especially with the addition of the Prairie Belt.

Most packs which adjust top and bottom of strap should be considered, some have enough adjustment from the top to work, others may need some minor mods.

While I'm sure it is not a complete list here are some I've been considering. Just a few with a harness system which should work out. Obviously usage and preference come into play a bit, just tossing my .2 in.

Alpha Evade (waiting for V2)
    MR XL Futura
    HPG packs (Umlindi)
    TAD EDC

#4 ccwaters, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  5. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

I had either a gen 1 or gen 2 Tad EDC can't remember which. I loved it. I completely regret selling it, I'm not sure why I ever did. It was extremely comfortable for a day pack.

I'm glad to hear that the HPG harness worked for you! I called yesterday and ended up going with the Ashton BC because it gave me PALS on the front to hook my trauma kit outside of the bag as well as the Velcro Panel on the inside which I think I can make great use of. I'll let you know how it works. The bag itself is also slightly longer on the Ashton, 21" body. I also really like the flexible stash panels because you can shove your coat in it easily after you get instead of having to open the pack and fit it in.

I use an Osprey Atmos 65 for hiking and I've found it to be great, although it may not work for you with a slightly longer torso, I'm already pushing the limits. The Aether looks nice, I got a closeout on the 2017 deep green (they call it gray....) color Atmos for ~$125.00 couldn't say no to that since it felt good.

Your comment about the Tara is exactly how I feel. Most of these packs just look super tiny on me, which is why I was trying to find something that was longer. Beyond the fit issues ....

I'll check out the Alpha Evade thread.

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm not a big guy but I also have a long torso and like tall packs with smaller volumes in the sub-30 L size. It's proven quite hard to find a tall/thin pack that can properly position a good hipbelt low enough, yet still carry weight high and tight enough to my back for a more comfortable upright stance.

Best I've found so far are the Deuter hiking packs: ACT Trail 24L and ACT Trail 30L which have 23" and 24.5" length measurements, respectively. They also have my all-time favorite EDC pack feature - a good weight-bearing, yet quickly stash-able, hip belt. I have the 24L (typically cinched down to ~14L) and love it... super comfortable. Build quality is very good, but it's built for lightweight hiking and will not be as bombproof as the tactical packs.

7. YoungMedic

YoungMedic Loaded Pockets

Thought you were looking for recommendations on Great Highland Bagpipes

sarxsvt and YankeeHotelFoxtrot like this.
  8. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

My ancestry is scottish .... perhaps I could go for some of those Bagpipes too! Then I'll need a bag to EDC them in however ....

9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

You've got swimmer dimensions.

The GORUCK GR1 will fit you fine. I'm 6'1" (32" inseam) and it's at the margin of becoming too long, IMO. Incidentally, the smaller 10L Bullet is now my GHB having just been demoted from EDC bag, a concept I have chosen to separate from. I've never found a lot of use for the GR1 although I keep my continuously evolving "evacuate the house" crap in it sitting in a closet.

10. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

First, I think you're correct with regard to staying at the lower end of that price range. I would not spend anywhere near $400 on a pack that in all likelihood will never be used. I'm not a fan of GoRuck, but even if I were there's no way I'd spend $300 on a GHB that will be parked in my car forever.

The Kelty Red Wing 44 Tactical is decent. It's 24 inches long and you can find it on sale. I would also consider the Red Wing 50.

https://www.kelty.com/redwing-44-tactical/

I have the Mystery Ranch Ravine and I think it would work for your application. Incredibly comfortable and reasonably priced - it's also 34 inches long and comes in a range of sizes. The gray color is pretty low key and while it's a little larger at 50L, this is by no means a big pack:

https://www.mysteryranch.com/ravine-pack

$250 is pushing it on price, IMO, considering this bag will probably never get used.